Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warcraft III: Reforged - now with lowest user metacritic score of all time

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
EPjWk-iX0Ac57to

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
I'm pretty sure they released it in such a horrible state because they were obligated by law. They probably underestimated how long it will take to finish it or overestimated the outsourcing. What irks me is that the metacritic score is most likely due to bugs and technical issues, as opposed to the art style being a crime against humanity and good taste, the original forcing you to dl 30 GB of garbage, cut features, Blizzard's disgusting policies (especially with what happened concerning China, but also they owning every custom map), their conga line of reputation sinking moves, and on and on. Something disturbingly incompetent is going over at Blizz. Anyway, I'm sure if they work on this and remove the bugs normies will lick it up again.

BfA nearly killed their bread and butter, they probably pulled everyone off every project to get them on shadowlands. Diablo 4 is atleast 3 years away.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
BfA nearly killed their bread and butter, they probably pulled everyone off every project to get them on shadowlands. Diablo 4 is atleast 3 years away.
I can see that, but that doesn't explain why the graphics look like an unfinished fan mod. If I had to guess, it was because they underestimated the time it would take to finish everything (WC3 is quite a huge game with a loooot of assets) while being lawfully obligated to release it in a specific time window after the preorders started + pulling everyone of their own people to work on other projects. I was actually quite skeptical of their claims when they announced this game, I knew WC3 is too big and diverse (in terms of models and assets) to be developed with current 3D graphics while redoing every single cutscene, and I suspected they changed the Stratholme map not because they wanted it to be more inline with WoW, but because the engine couldn't handle such a huge map with the new make-over. That Asian studio must've worked its employees to death to be able to do what they did in such a short amount of time.

Either way, I'm very much curious what Blizz will do for damage control and whether they'll try to fix everything, or just remove the most glaring bugs, bring back ladder and sweep it under the rug as if it didn't happen. Blocking refunds doesn't seem like it's doing them any favors.

Last edited:

JBro

Arbiter
They outsourced a good portion of the game to Lemon Sky, way more than Starcraft Remastered. I imagine that they did that for budget reasons, and that combined with Blizzard's poor management of the now outsourced project led to this.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I can only hope this finally causes all the normal cattle that still think Blizzard today are the same as D2/WC3 Era Blizzard to start thinking.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Lol

They are adding checkpoints in the campaigns. Every major fight. So if you fail you can reload. IN AN RTS GAME. WHILE REDUCING THE DIFFICULTY. Christ I am slow as fuck and didn't manage to beat the original WC3 campaign on Hard. But Blizzard makes the campaign requires 2 digit IQ to play right now.

For Christ sake Blizzard. You can just replace the models + having the promised dynamic cutscene and most people would probably be happy.

Right now the custom maps developers are also in fumes because imports are fucked. Those who have official WC3 on Battlenet basically has their maps fucked because the editor somehow is not capable of correctly loading the assets.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Like SC2 Arcade, now all custom maps and custom models is automatically owned by Bllizzard per EULA.

And because of that you can't put copyrighted materials in the arcade anymore lol.

And now there is report button for maps because why the hell not.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It makes sense from a business perspective but there are... Nicer ways... To benefit from your modding community.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
It makes sense from a business perspective but there are... Nicer ways... To benefit from your modding community.

Having your game to have a very active mod communities is already a profit enough. Active modding scenes like WC3 is rare. Especially for nearly 2 decades old game. THis is the kind of stuff that prolong your product lifecycle without you having to lift a fucking finger. Even if they just released a remaster ala AoE (support HD resolution, increase quality of the models so they works with HD resolution) it would already more than enough.

Of course Blizaard is buthurt that Dota pretty much becomes another people IP because the clause wasn't in the old EULA, but if you really want to make money you can always do partnership. Which they didn't with Dota.

Looks at Auto-chess. The moment it blew up on Dota 2 Arcade,companies are quickly moving to monetize them. Some try partnership with the original creator (Tencent wins), some makes copies with their own twist (TFT from Riot, Underlords for Valve after they lose to Tencent). Of course with whatever talent they have in Blizzard they are porbably incapable of negotiating or creating a working clones to begin with.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
They are adding checkpoints in the campaigns. Every major fight. So if you fail you can reload. IN AN RTS GAME.
I used this scenario as a reductio ad absurdum argument in an article I wrote years ago:

Saving and killing form a vicious cycle. The more the player saves, the more reasonable it seems to kill him. Small wonder that RPGs introduced a "quicksave" button to minimize the player's hassle. Smaller wonder still that the games have added the suggestion "Quicksave often - you could die at any time!" Can you imagine a sports game warning, "Quicksave often - the opponent might score!" or a strategy game suggesting, "Save before and after every battle to make sure your army never suffers defeat!"

And now we are reduced to such absurdity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom