Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If you're ok with it being that simplistic and black & white, then yeah, I guess it's fine. I'm surprised though by how many people are ok with what's obviously decline compared to past Obsidian games.

I don't think anyone's saying it isn't, more just saying it's rooted in the game's smaller scope and budget, which Obsidian was honest about before release.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I don't think anyone's saying it isn't, more just saying it's rooted in the game's smaller scope and budget, which Obsidian was honest about before release.

True I kind of expected more of it because of Obsidian's previous releases, truly expecting something on the level of the old Fallout games or FNV. Most of my disappointment stems from those expectations.

JDR13

Arcane
If you're ok with it being that simplistic and black & white, then yeah, I guess it's fine. I'm surprised though by how many people are ok with what's obviously decline compared to past Obsidian games.

Except that the budget has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Did Obsidian having less money magically make them stupider in regards to writing quests?

I'm sure budget restraints affected the game in multiple ways, but the things I'm referring to have nothing to do with money.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Except that the budget has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Did Obsidian having less money magically make them stupider in regards to writing quests?

If you think the quest writing and ideas are bad, then fair enough. I don't think they were. I think their scope and complexity were poor, and I do think that's tied to budget. We're talking about two different things I suppose.

If Outer Worlds had New Vegas's scope and more challenge in combat/item usage that forced more choices, I'm pretty sure I'd love the game. Sadly it doesn't.

JDR13

Arcane
If you think the quest writing and ideas are bad, then fair enough. I don't think they were.

I didn't say bad, but I think most of them were mediocre to average at best. There's way too much hand-holding, and you rarely have to figure anything out for yourself. They lacked creativity, and that's not something that's restrained by money. I think it has more to do with trying to cater to the mainstream.

orcinator

Liturgist
Budget restrains are a good thing,makes the devs think more creatively and innovative.
I mean, only if the devs work around them.
Obsidian set out to copy Bethesda and what they came up with was exactly what would happen if the real Bethesda had less money and slightly less retarded but more boring writers.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Budget restrains are a good thing,makes the devs think more creatively and innovative.
I mean, only if the devs work around them.
Obsidian set out to copy Bethesda and what they came up with was exactly what would happen if the real Bethesda had less money and slightly less retarded but more boring writers.
Ahh obsidian is pretty dead,no amount of money will let them make a good game lol. I was talking about game developers,not about gender studies experts.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If they are indeed gender studies experts, they don't even inject any kind of insightful or valuable gender commentary in their writing. Just screaming girl power and girl boss at the top of your lungs doesn't seem worth the 4 years of study. Tbh, I wouldn't say they've had an academic background in writing either with what they've shown.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Switch announcement day: https://outerworlds.obsidian.net/en/news/the-outer-worlds-coming-to-nintendo-switch-on-march-6-2020

THE OUTER WORLDS COMING TO NINTENDO SWITCH ON MARCH 6, 2020

We here at Obsidian, along with Virtuos Games and Private Division, are excited to announce that spacers waiting to experience the award-winning and darkly humorous single-player RPG, The Outer Worlds, on Nintendo Switch won't have to wait much longer! Your adventure through the Halcyon Colony begins March 6.

Whether you choose to zap foes with your shrink ray or charm them with smooth-talking abilities, The Outer Worlds lets you play the way you want and be the galactic hero (or villain) of your dreams. And on the Nintendo Switch, now you’ll be able to take The Outer Worlds anywhere you go.

The Outer Worlds for Nintendo Switch will retail for $59.99 and will be available as a boxed version (containing a code to download the game) and digital version via the Nintendo eShop.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
iu

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
The Outer Worlds for Nintendo Switch will retail for $59.99 and will be available as a boxed version (containing a code to download the game) and digital version via the Nintendo eShop.

They can't be bothered putting it on a disc?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Man they really dropped the ball on post-launch support. Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but it seems like in 3 months there was no relevant news about anything at all.

Make fun all you want about Sawyer and his autistic updates of nerfing some unique weapon damage by 1%, but at least you knew something is going on and ultimately all the tinkering served to make PoE1&2 much better than vanilla. Here...wind howling.

Quillon

Arcane
fuck it, this game can not be improved with any amount of tinkering; it'll still be a boring ass game.

and I can't see a white march to PoE scenario happening here; they are wasting resources developing the DLC/expansion imo, but at least it will sell this time :P

The Real Fanboy
Man they really dropped the ball on post-launch support. Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but it seems like in 3 months there was no relevant news about anything at all.
It's way boring with zero updates but now they can just release the dlc onto game pass and its like in front of and immediately downloaded by millions of players? I guess that's what xbox wants to do from now on?

RepHope

Savant

Make fun all you want about Sawyer and his autistic updates of nerfing some unique weapon damage by 1%, but at least you knew something is going on and ultimately all the tinkering served to make PoE1&2 much better than vanilla. Here...wind howling.
I assume they’re planning on doing a big expansion pack. Otherwise yeah they’re dropping the ball.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
fuck it, this game can not be improved with any amount of tinkering; it'll still be a boring ass game.

and I can't see a white march to PoE scenario happening here; they are wasting resources developing the DLC/expansion imo, but at least it will sell this time :P

It cannot be improved to a great RPG with tinkering, true. But it could certainly be tinkered up to a level of good and replayable RPG-lite looter shooter. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but they're not even doing that, eh.

orcinator

Liturgist
good and replayable RPG-lite looter shooter
That's an oxymoron.

Even then the game doesn't even have any loot worth talking about so I don't know where people are getting "looter shooter" from besides the fact that the gameplay is bad.
Regardless the combat is horribly designed and would need to be remade completely to be worthwhile.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Been playing Metro Exodus lately cause it's on Gamepass and Gamepass is still 1 dollar a month so lolwhynot and it seems like it's exactly (like literally exactly, the gameplay loop feels exactly the same) the kind of game that Outer Worlds is trying to be but minus the Confusion about what kind of game it is (or wants to be) that Outer Worlds is afflicted with. It's actually stunning just how much Metro Exodus is simply a BETTER version of Outer Worlds, almost like one was ripping off the other. Looks better, feels better, written better, minus silly vestigial RPG bullshit. Which is not to say it's a Great game, or anything close to an RPG. But it knows what it is.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom