Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Wars 1

don't forget the removal of the whole party. damn, gw2 gets shittier by the word.

Black

Arcane
I think it was all of the following:

Removal of monk
Removal of hexes
Removal of skill set customization
Nerfing of elite skills
Huge reduction in skill variety

All of that in exchange of a reflex based dodge mechanic.... seriously what could go wrong... lol.
Focus on "personal story" by people who can't write.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Honestly, GW2 is not a bad game by its own right. The mechanics can be fun when you actually figure out what you're doing, and there's a very high skill cap for playing (esp with some classes such as Thief, Mesmer or Elementalist).

The problem, as everyone knows, is that it claims to be the successor to a superior game through mechanics which are only superficially related (herp derp, here's only 10 buttons for ya, that's what GW1 was all about).

If it had been called something different so that we could actually get a real sequel to GW1, it'd just be another MMO for the fodder and it wouldn't carry the grudge it does now.

Black

Arcane
I finally did it, after over 10 years of owning the game I finally made my first Legendary Survivor on my mesmer. The stress of facing elementalist bosses in 60 armor was yuge but now I can slap all superior runes and feed all I want.
xI0mIEt.jpg

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I finally did it, after over 10 years of owning the game I finally made my first Legendary Survivor on my mesmer. The stress of facing elementalist bosses in 60 armor was yuge but now I can slap all superior runes and feed all I want.
xI0mIEt.jpg
Nice. I managed to get that one year when they had double xp for capturing skills. I decided to capture every elite skill in the game while grinding that title as well. Was pretty fun in all honesty.

i can't remember if i had it too on a mesmer (the infamous "suresh the iguana") or i was almost there, before it had been deleted forever like tears in rain.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow, it's insane how that track only has 17k views. It may well be the most memorable piece from the OST. The nostalgia factor alone made me wishlist the trilogy on Steam (as I have no conceivable way of getting back my account from 2006 or whenever it was I used to play this).

it's not "average", it's "totally forgettable". other than the morrowind main theme, which is just a coincidence, i can't sing right now a single song of his. and i spent hundreds and hundreds of hours on morrowind and guild wars. not a single one. but i can sing note by note the whole chrono cross score which i played three times.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
it's not "average", it's "totally forgettable". other than the morrowind main theme, which is just a coincidence, i can't sing right now a single song of his. and i spent hundreds and hundreds of hours on morrowind and guild wars. not a single one. but i can sing note by note the whole chrono cross score which i played three times.

The point of a soundtrack is to complement the game, not rule it. guild wars had a great soundtrack and relistening to the music draws me back into all the great memories I have of the game.

And I found the morrowind soundtrack fairly memorable (probably because I played it daily for over a year). esp the main theme

the point of great music is being great music. otherwise it's just noise.
"oh no, i can't watch apocalypse now, it sucks because this song is so good i'll remember it!". can't you see how strong the retardness flows through your argument?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
the point of great music is being great music. otherwise it's just noise.
"oh no, i can't watch apocalypse now, it sucks because this song is so good i'll remember it!". can't you see how strong the retardness flows through your argument?

Why not just put the best jazz pieces of all time in a fantasy rpg then? fuck, just reuse the same classical music over and over and over again.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
yeah, i can see where you're coming from.
- i want space bounty hunters with opera, jazz, jungle, folk and metal music!
- dude, are you nuts? it totally won't work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_Bebop

you and all the downraters are losing on all sides just because don't want to admit soule is a hack.

i've been here like 10 years bro, i'm long past the phase where I feel the need to argue about subjective preferences. i like soule and his music, which complements fantasy settings well, and which is a separate issue from whether a game needs to have EPIC MEMORABLE SHIT blaring every second.

and cowboy bebop is an overrated pile of shit. the Fallout of anime.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I was bored the other day so I just downloaded and installed GW and remembered my email and password and loaded up a character all in less than 5 minutes. Game runs amazing and still looks amazing for a 2004 game. Apparently, they performed some kind of a viewing distance upgrade (?) a while back or so I've heard.

- the nostalgia critically hit me for 89 points of damage, it took me awhile to stop drooling and start moving my character around. Can't believe I was 15 years old when I played this
- there are still people playing, according to a poll on reddit ~80% of people are in it for the PvE, 20% are doing PvP
- if I had to guess, I'd say 5000 people are playing tops, but some say more
- GW is maintained by a single dev and he is playing regularly and active in all chat
- Kamadan is still Spamadan
- except for a few enigmatic loners, only US districts are non-empty
- the economy is really inflated, ectos are between 2-3.5k (remember when they were 9-11k)
- its incredible how the mentality is different and that there are no toxic people anywhere (just like it was 15 years ago)

Very interesting. Will post some screenies later.

Last edited:

Deflowerer

Arcane
I've heard good things about it if you're into PvE and like build theorycrafting. Does it still apply?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Deflowerer Does what apply? The deckbuilding skill system is a fundamental part of GW, they haven't changed the number of skills or anything like that.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
I've heard good things about it if you're into PvE and like build theorycrafting. Does it still apply?
yes. the game update cycle endes with 3 full campaigns + 1 xpac, each coming with more professions and skills .
you will probably play this as a singleplayer but it's totally worth it.

if you want an advice get the complete collection and start from nightfall ( 3rd campaign)

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Amazingly, with the help of ArenaNet support I have managed to recover my old Guild Wars 1 account from 2005. Though I barely remember anything from my time playing it, I will now proceed to solo-play the game in celebration. luj1, any suggestions for profession?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Alpan That's amazing bro. IMO just pick whatever seems like fun and go in blind, spontaneity is the best way to have fun. Didn't you play GW before? Have any of the old chars?

and start from nightfall ( 3rd campaign)

Definitely not. Nightfall was the weakest campaign IMO.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
I played the game as Mesmer and Elementalist before, but always as a casual, PvE experience. I enjoyed the deckbuilding aspect of the game. I think I'll go with Mesmer again, see where it takes me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom