Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's learn about fighting games and get murdered together.

• Thread starter Generic-Giant-Spider
  • Start date

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Also why no Smash?

It's a party game.

Dude that's such an old excuse and it never that good to begin with.
Even the most autistic members of the figthing game communitty have already accepted Smash as a figthing game. And it has been a part of EVO since 2007.
So you have no valid excuses not to list Smash in the OP. Specially considering you listed Street Figther 5 of all games :lol:

You see, Smash Bros was never designed with a real competitive aspect in mind.
Even when you look at the fluff description on the back of the box you always see it pitched to the reader as a four player+ romp with it being some competitive fighting game nowhere to be found.

Yes, but with Melee people progressively found out the gameplay has actually extremely technical and ideal for a competitive scenario.

When Sakurai and Nintendo tried to "kill" this competitive side to Smash with the release of Brawl and attempts to shut down Melee tournaments respectively, they were met with so much backlash that ever since Smash 4 they made more and more strides to cement Smash as a competitive title - with Ultimate meant to finally encorporate the Melee competitive scene.

So in the end the party origin doesn't mean shit.
Plus how a game advertises itself isn't a truthful representation/description of the game.

If you're into fighting games or want to play a serious one you're going to play Tekken or Virtua Fighter or Street Fighter or fucking TIME KILLERS.

Seriously man, you can't be serious with SF?
That series has been the king of casual figthing games and generally everything wrong with the genre for more than a decade now.

Generic-Giant-Spider

OH GOD.

This is why I internally heavily debated mentioning Smash at all. Now I've unleashed the Smash plague upon this topic. It's like getting bubblegum in your hair. You have to either rock the look or cut it off.

I'm gonna try to do a guard cancel roll into a short hyperhop on this subject.

Smash Bros is awesome. I love Smash Bros. Some days I masturbate to Samus Aran. I wish Geno was in Smash. Who is Terry Bogard? FALCON PUNCH XD. Where's Waluigi?! Sakurai is a tease. Another Fire Emblem character?! SIGH. Make Doomguy DLC!

Did I convert myself successfully? Am I going to still get gangraped by the Smash death squads after they get out of their Chuck E. Cheese birthday party obligations?

Gerrard

Arcane
I had a video of someone replicating the Daigo parry in a real match on a keyboard, unfortunately I think it was deleted as I can't find it on my playlist of fighting game stuff nad there's a bunch of [deleted video] there.

There is probably a super autist that can do Rising Storm, Daigo parrys, Overkills and charge supers at will using a PS2 steering wheel but does that mean you could too? Refer to Part 2 of THE BASICS.
Refer to the article I posted. Directional keys are objectively superior to a stick.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Dude there's no need to turn this thread into the retarded antics of /v/.
It's very simple really, since the game is a common tourney at EVO it's because it must be a figthing game.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Keyboards are not that great for fightings, even though some do play on them. Keys have too much travel, plus they are too small for stuff like double tapping. And of course all the keys surrounding the ones you use wont help. Hitbox-style controllers on the other hand are good, though it's debatable whether they are superior to sticks -- some stuff is easier on them, some harder. I started playing fightings on a pad, then switched to a stick, and then ended up playing on a hitbox.
Here it is, my 4th one:
0hc3DNuXIGI.png

And while i'm at it, might as well show off the 2nd hit box i made for myself a while back:
zSLQHwm.jpg

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Refer to the article I posted. Directional keys are objectively superior to a stick.

What makes a Hitbox good =/= what makes a keyboard good. A Hitbox is made with an arcade stick in mind, a keyboard is not.

Generic-Giant-Spider

This is basically why I've finally started laying off of Tekken. Been playing since the first game and years of demanding Kazuya execution finally caught up to me in the form of carpal tunnel.

Tekken is really taxing if you aim to try to play it seriously. That Korean Backdash shit has been known to destroy hands and wrists, I hate to be a whiny little casual bitch but I wish Namco embraced KBD as a proper in-game command since it's such an integral part of the game when you get to a certain level. It's why I don't fuck with it too hard though I like the series a lot. I'm perfectly fine being in the rat ranks if it means keeping my nerves working.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is a big difference between what is an exploit and what is an intended, conscious decision. Like it or not, a lot of what is removed/turned off for competitive Smash to work are put in there because that is how the developers want the game to be ideally enjoyed. An exploit would be something like, how combos were created in SF2. The developers didn't intend for combos to actually be a thing, but because this glitch went over so well with players they decided to keep it in the game and even embrace it fully by adding in a combo counter in later versions of SF2 (I think it may have been Super Street Fighter II: New Challengers).

Nowadays if a glitch or bug that can be heavily abused is found it tends to be patched, but to put items and such from Smash on the same level as having an exploit is simply incorrect. I guess those gosh-darn Nintendoers just can't stop releasing buggy, glitchy as fuck games with hundreds of items each time Smash gets a new release. :|!
All of this is irrelevant, because I wasn't JUST talking about exploits, but game elements that introduce RNG. If item spawning locations could be set, and they would spawn at specific times, it is very likely that items wouldn't have been banned. They were originally allowed in the first couple Smash tournaments, but were removed one the tournament organizer got shafted by an OP item dropping in three times at spots that were right next to his opponent, so he raged and banned items.
Actually a huge part of the fighting game experience is that you can face another person, one on one, MAN ON MAN, therefore we can reasonably conclude that even if you're playing Shaq-Fu there's some competitive aspect there. In recent times you have had some developers like NRS expand greatly on fighting games by adding in lots of single player stuff, but the main focus is still on that fight between people.

I believe what you're confusing though is being tournament viable. Not all fighting games are tournament viable and this can be due to factors such as glitches and exploits that are so prevalent it makes the game miserable to take seriously, maybe the fighting game itself just isn't very good in terms of its mechanics, perhaps hitboxes and damage are all fucked up, whatever the case may be there are some fighting games that are played more as morbid curiosities. But that does not mean they are not still designed with a competitive focus in mind, they simply didn't deliver enough for players to invest in.

Smash Bros by contrast has never been designed with competitive focus as I brought up in my previous post by quoting how the very guy who has the most say on the game's development cycle sees it as a four player battle royale.
You're right, when you said competitive I was assuming you were talking about tournaments. That aside, your point regarding competitive focus is still not a good one, as what determines whether or not a game has a competitive focus? It doesn't matter what the guy who had the most to say on the game's development cycle says. What makes a one on one match in say, Tekken or Street Fighter, inherently more competitive/different from a one on one match in Super Smash Bros Melee?

You also never disagreed with my point regarding what elements are required for a game to be considered a fighting game.
OH GOD.

This is why I internally heavily debated mentioning Smash at all. Now I've unleashed the Smash plague upon this topic.
By omitting Smash, you would have had the plague released on you whether or not you mentioned it in your FAQ. It's a fighting game, and one of the best.
The actual fighting game genre is dogshit

Go back to your storyfaggotry "game" experiences kid.
This thread is for gameplayfags only. :obviously:
Lolk. Because Underrail, IWD, and ToEE are real storyfag games.

Generic-Giant-Spider

It's cool I converted to Smashlim. Now we can continue discussing real other fighting games not made by Nintendo.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
It's cool I converted to Smashlim. Now we can continue discussing real other fighting games not made by Nintendo.

As long it's not Street Figther 5...

The actual fighting game genre is dogshit

Go back to your storyfaggotry "game" experiences kid.
This thread is for gameplayfags only. :obviously:
Lolk. Because Underrail, IWD, and ToEE are real storyfag games.

No, but since they are RPG's they naturally don't have the same intense focus on gameplay as figthing games do - since you know there are other aspects as nearly important as gameplay mechanics in RPG's.
Also:

Icewind Dale

Yuck...

Generic-Giant-Spider

As long it's not Street Figther 5...

SFV is weak and a disappointment, I agree, but the latest updates with new V-Skills and balance changes across the roster did enhance it a lot more. I'd still not consider it anywhere near as good as previous entries but it went from borderline dogshit in 2016 to roughly a 6.5/10 today. So that's something.

I don't know your gripes with SFV but I was not a big fan at all of Crush Counters, lack of player creativity, and how characters often lived or died by their V-Trigger/V-Reversal. Another big problem I had was changing Vega from charge to a motion character. That's like 20 years worth of muscle memory having to rewrite and the change itself reeked of change for the sake of change than anything well thought out. I also don't like the barehanded stance he has. Like, Vega has the claw because so much of what makes him Vega is about having great pokes on his normals which in old games made him a complete terror and scared to press a button. The whole idea of two stances is half-baked because barehanded doesn't feel like it was fleshed out much outside having a command grab. Should've spent that time to focus on bringing his gameplay up by just keeping him as claw-centric and losing the claw put him at a natural disadvantage, but Capcom has a fucking hate boner for Vega since they don't want a repeat of ST/A3/CvS2.

I'd rather face a character like top tier Vega than ooga-ooga retards like Rashid who just randomly hit buttons and collect points all day.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
You already said many of them.
Changing entire movesets of most characters is perhaps the most idiotic and egregious aspect of the game. You mentioned Vega - which has always my favourite in previous titles, so I admittedly got pissed with his change - but even the changes to other characters.
Take Bison, why did they remove the Psycho Crusher, it's the backbone of his entire fucking moveset.

SF5 is simply the worst title in the series to date, and simply a mediocre figthing game. And just the fact it didn't ship with a training mode is disgraceful.

SF4 was already streamlined compared to the previous entries. I think perhaps Yoshinori Ono is the main perpetrator behind these changes. Since he was the main producer/project manager in both SF4 and 5.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Thinking back, I didn't think much of SF4 at the time but if put next to SFV it does look much better by comparison. Not that it's saying much since pretty much every other current fighting game (except MK11) dwarfs SFV anyways.

Capcom as a whole has been on a bit of a redemption arc lately but their fighting game front has been pretty abysmal. MvC:Infinite was a total bust and died after like two months, SFV is simply not what I have come to expect from a company that once produced games like Super Turbo and CvS2. I don't even know if I want an SFVI yet, I think it's more beneficial if Capcom revives Darkstalkers and takes a break from SF in the mean time to try something fresh. Perhaps have Darkstalkers as the new whacky and fun, streamlined game you can easily jump into and return SF to its more technical roots.

and 8 others

Savant
Tried Tekken 7 on my brother's PS4 during the Christmas holidays. It was the basic version, without the 4 GB patches, and it didn't have Lei Wulong :argh:. How dare they release a version of Tekken without Lei, and no adding him later as a DLC / season X character doesn't count. If learning a Tekken character is like learning a language, learning to master Lei, with his 6 stances (or 11 if you count turned away + the 4 lying positions) was like becoming a polyglot off the bat.

Another 3D fighting game I adored was Bushido Blade on the PS1, with a roster of samurai and sword / naginata / hammer / etc fighters. You had to time your blocks with the strikes, could kill or get killed in 1 blow, could maim your opponent progressively by striking their arms or legs, could throw knives at them or earth in their eyes, and run around the arena as you wished. I've never seen another game like it.

Generic-Giant-Spider

so anyone wanna get on fightcade?

What hours do you have free/what games do you prefer? I can try to RUMBLE with you but keep in mind I'm not the spry youngster I used to be. I'm old man Shang Tsung so go easy.

Another 3D fighting game I adored was Bushido Blade on the PS1, with a roster of samurai and sword / naginata / hammer / etc fighters. You had to time your blocks with the strikes, could kill or get killed in 1 blow, could maim your opponent progressively by striking their arms or legs, could throw knives at them or earth in their eyes, and run around the arena as you wished. I've never seen another game like it.

Oh man, Bushido Blade was fucking great. I loved how it had that limb damage aspect to it as well as being able to land a fatal blow right away, I think you could even cut down the bamboo trees and stuff too. Very unique at the time, was kind of hoping For Honor would have been similar to it. There was actually a Deadliest Warrior game that was similar to Bushido Blade but not quite as good. I miss when big game developers did those sorts of games instead of obsessing over AAA releases.

Funnily enough I know how you feel with Lei/T7 and how some characters can have high learning curves. Eventually I just say fuck it and retreat to someone like Miguel or Lili and maybe Dragunov if I'm feeling wild.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
>THE TOP FRANCHISES OF TODAY

No arcsys? Into the trash it goes

Also Ralf fo life

Last edited:
fighting games are very popular in the urban youth communities

I wonder if that's a vestige from when you could play for a long time on arcades with a few quarters if you were good enough.

Relevant to thread title - I listened to some br guys recounting their arcade experiences the other day. Depending on where you live, your approach to someone who is far into the singleplayer campaign is different. In some places, it's accepted that at any time someone might just walk up and challenge you because clearly that's the real point of a fighting game and sp is just there to pass the time if no one else wants to play. In others, you're supposed to ask. So there was this one guy on a street fighter 2 machine, clearly on a break from work because it was noon and he left his briefcase on top. Looked like a delivery guy. He just got to M.Bison, the final boss not the boxer. Some other guy approaches and puts in a coin. The first guy silently draws a pocketknife and stabs him repeatedly under the arm ("the same way you kill a pig"), grumbles "I just wanted to have a go at Bison", takes his briefcase and leaves while the confused patrons gather around the gasping guy on the floor. Apparently this was one of those places where you're supposed to ask.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
I think perhaps Yoshinori Ono is the main perpetrator behind these changes. Since he was the main producer/project manager in both SF4 and 5.

Funny, earlier today I was thinking how garbage Ono is. Doesn't he design some of the characters too? 4 was a sluggish, hideous looking game, that nonetheless lemmings positioned as the marquee tournament game, before it even came out. Get this fucking guy off the series.

Curratum

Gief main in SF5, Kim/MrKarate/Takuma in KoF, can't stand any other fighting game. PM me if you're in Europe and fancy playing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom