Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I mean, hey, you're entitled to your personal opinion. But surely you can see that if you can't really explain it to us in a structured way, you're not really going to persuade others.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone. Just stating my opinion.

I don't think anybody jerks off to pixels just because they're pixels. The point is that having a good art direction and executing it to create a beautiful scene doesn't ever depend on using newer tech just for the sake of it (or using older tech just for the sake of it)

The amount of people saying something like On The Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness and similar style modern games look good indicates that some people jerk off to pixels but I could be wrong. Not people here. Just gamers in general.

I personally think FF6 looks quite good but not particularly amazing, and that comes a lot more down to their direction rather than the technology. There's plenty of pixel SNES games that look a lot better/worse. I don't sit there with the illusion that if only they had higher resolutions it would look so much better.

You might have a point here but I still don't think 2d is really that much less prone to aging badly than 3d. Nothing you've stated in defense of old 2d art couldn't be applied to 3d and that's part of what bugs me about this discussion. I'll just agree to disagree and stop shitting up this thread with offtopic stuff if others will leave it alone too.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I mean, they remade the sprites from scratch and they honestly look even worse than the pillar. Not just stylistically either, they're objectively less detailed, with less detail on the lighting on character's hair and bodies and so forth, as well as fewer hues being used and (ironically) a lot of straight lines or sharp angles that were broken up to appear rounded in the original.

Could FF6 theoretically look better with higher resolution, more detailed sprites from a skilled artist? Sure. Does more pixels automatically look better than fewer pixels? God no. Binding of Isaac has modern vector graphics too. It still looks like it was drawn with a crayon.

I think you're getting butthurt over very low budget games being praised for good artwork in the context of their low budgets and small studios. Anyone saying TRSPoD looks good is a fan of the comic and praising it because they're happy how well it turned out considering it could have looked like some shitty flash game.

And something like Crosscode or Stardew Valley are objectively nice looking games with a lot of detail in their artwork and good technical (as in artistic technique) composition.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
A genuine art direction that was properly embraced by the available technology is what created games that I find most aesthetically pleasing. For that reason I find many modern games uninspiring graphically; despite all the pixels, sleekness and post-processing effects, they just lack something that is hard to define that made many old games feel special.

Machocruz

Arcane
I can see how the "grainy", jaggy look of lower res sprite work could put someone off. Like I think Street Fighter 3 still has some of the best 2D work ever, but it would look even better if the linework was less jagged- you can kind of get the idea with Skullgirls, but Reverge Labs do not have the character drawing chops of Capcom in their 2D glory days. In the context of when it was released, SF3 was next level and blows any 3D of the time away.
In a perfect world, SFV would have seamless 2D graphics and animation that blows it out of the water, or they would have used the Guilty Gear Xrd process.

Now if someone just said they hate 2D art completely, i would think they are a tasteless prat and an aesthetic retard, but that's not the case here.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Street Fighter 3
hYvW5AA.gif

:desu:

Falksi

Arcane
Here's the difference GhostCow, the 16-bit era had absolutely nailed the pixelated art form. Yes you're getting less technical brilliance, but the actual art shines through as mastered & quality.

In later eras up until around the early 2010's all you'e seeing is folk getting to grips with 3D. No one there has mastered the form yet, and you're basically in love with better technical tools, not better displays of artistry.

So what this comparison actually defines is posters & people more in tune with mastery of an art form, and those like yourself who are more in tune with technical prowess & art forms at there more basic, infant/clumsy/lower set level.

In other words, you've no appreciation of good artistry, just more advanced technology.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
GhostCow is the dude that uses Super 2×SaI and Super Eagle shaders in 16-bit emulators and argues that it's what the developers would have wanted if they had the technology available at the time.

I can see how the "grainy", jaggy look of lower res sprite work could put someone off. Like I think Street Fighter 3 still has some of the best 2D work ever, but it would look even better if the linework was less jagged- you can kind of get the idea with Skullgirls, but Reverge Labs do not have the character drawing chops of Capcom in their 2D glory days. In the context of when it was released, SF3 was next level and blows any 3D of the time away.
In a perfect world, SFV would have seamless 2D graphics and animation that blows it out of the water, or they would have used the Guilty Gear Xrd process.

Now if someone just said they hate 2D art completely, i would think they are a tasteless prat and an aesthetic retard, but that's not the case here.

Well, Skullgirls isn't sprites, it's hand drawn animation instead of pixel art like SF3 and KoF13. If you're doing pixel art, you're never going to not see pixels, even when doing it in HD.

mai-kof13-stance.gif
Terrykofxii.gif
latest

If a new Street Fighter came out with 2D art I think it would have to be hand drawn. Even with how great KoF13's HD sprites look, they still got knocked in reviews for being able to see the pixels and the game didn't do well.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Lemme see if the blog post by a pixel artist about this matter is still around (it's a really good piece, well worth reading)...

http://www.dinofarmgames.com/a-pixel-artist-renounces-pixel-art/

Yep, there it is. Get ready to feel that sadness and rage when he quotes the sort of inane bullshit IGN wrote about KoF XIII's sprites and their even more baffling praise of Street Fighter IV's 3D models.

I could accept a 3D KoF after XIII-XIV. The problem is that KoF XV is really just that same sort of low-rent 3D that feels like a cheap imitation of the very characterful NEOGEO sprites and their masterpiece HD revisions in XIII. If they could have done the same sort of astonishing job as ArcSys has done with their 3D work, my nipples would explode from delight.

As I've mentioned before, I have something of a similar issue with the new more photorealist look of FF7 remake. The original had a very characterful and fun anime/manga style, and it reflects in the character designs. A character like Heidegger or Don Corneo just feels off in a photorealist depiction. I think it's rather sad how standardization of HD 3D has drastically reduced the visual variety of games.

Last edited:
Heidegger is basically just the captain from Space Battleship Yamato and that's been pulled off perfectly fine. Only thing about photorealistic Don Corneo is he should probably look more like Peter Lorre given the eyes they gave him in the art for the original game. But really I see no problem or reason why these designs can't translate to a more realistic aesthetic. FF7 is probably one of the better Final Fantasy games to do that with given the very subdued designs of the costumes and characters in comparison to later FF games.

Generic-Giant-Spider

+ Cross-dressing confirmed. Wouldn't have thought they actually had the guts to give it a go ahead.

If anything it was ballsier to do this in 1997 when fags/crossdressers were still being bodychecked into buses and subway trains.

In 2020, it's JUST ANOTHER DAY MUH NIGGA.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
+ Cross-dressing confirmed. Wouldn't have thought they actually had the guts to give it a go ahead.

If anything it was ballsier to do this in 1997 when fags/crossdressers were still being bodychecked into buses and subway trains.

In 2020, it's JUST ANOTHER DAY MUH NIGGA.

Nah, treating cross-dresser as a joke which FF7 did was fine in the 90s.

Doing so in these days are not, ergo SE has balls to do this.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If they don't release it with Japanese voice actors & English subs (mentioned this before, just making the point again) then I'm gonna have a hard time playing it.

Terra

Cipher
I can already hear the clickity clack of a thousand bloggers furiously typing up "x is problematic" articles after seeing that Honey Bee Inn teaser. Can't wait.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Whatever they do, change too much, don't change enough, someone will be pissed
I'm already angry they made tifas tits smaller, chopped the game into pieces and made it episodic, and feminized cloud. What more could they do? Make red XIII unable to speak human?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom