Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - action adventure from Respawn Entertainment

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Force Unleashed was decent. Certainly not bad. I don't know anything about the rebel assault games. The only flight sim I played was X-Wing vs TIE Fighter which I really liked.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
For Empire at War, for all its mediocrity as a RTS, I found it was a good SW game, just because how fun it was to take control of the ships from the franchise and dropping them on the battlefield. Seeing those ISD dropping out of hyperspace around the enemy ships, launching TIE fighters never got old. And mods adding more stuff from either the prequels and the EU were great. Still that faction from the expansion was shit.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Force Unleashed was decent. Certainly not bad. I don't know anything about the rebel assault games. The only flight sim I played was X-Wing vs TIE Fighter which I really liked.

Rebel Assault weren't flight games, more like... I dunno, shooters? I guess? They were interactive FMV games at heart, and you clicked on shit to shoot or clicked around to mildly influence how a ship flew.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I'd defend Rebel Assault 1+2. Wait hear me out, put down those pitchforks! For the time it came out it was really ok, not so much a game as an interactive movie/theme park ride.
Gameplay might seem basic af now and what used to be the selling point, fmv cutscenes as standard for the whole game ain't the draw it used to be, but at the time it was a fun experiment. And if you were a console pleb like me, getting games like xwing or tie fighter wasn't going to happen so this was the closest you got.

Likewise for Empire at War...I have very fond memories of clearing land maps with just a handful of stormtrooper squads who when they were in defense mode or whatever that ability was called, moved slowly but took like 99% less damage (or so it felt), nothing like clearing out a hostile planet full of constantly respawning rebels and aliens with the Empire's finest. No need to big up the space battles because everyone liked those, but wanted to show even the ground battles could be fun.

as far as i remember, the video compression system of rebel assault was pretty groundbreaking, with the smoothed big squares and such. gameplay was bordering terrible, but at that time there was nothing quite like that, let alone -in the freaking star wars universe!!1!-. the best a kid could get.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Rebel Assault was a novel experience at that time and it's not like there were many options to put your expensive CD-ROM drive to use.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Honestly all I remember from Rebel Assault is crashing into the walls of the intro level over and over and over again. I know I eventually got further, but I barely remember anything else. I own the GOG 2-pack for nostalgia reasons, but I am scared to launch it.

Love

Cipher
Lol, wtf. 8 million copies? That's ridiculously more than I expected. I guess Star Wars is still ridiculously popular.

What's so unlikely about mouth to mouth propaganda spreading around how good the game is? This isn't like some niche game that has to break out. It's an established franchise with a tried and tested genre, so it's only a matter of how good the game is received initially.

This is why I don't get their hesitance about trying something that has already proven itself and wouldn't cost them much...

Makes me wonder how Raven Software got the job back then. Would it be too risky for the brand value to let a studio like they once were take a shot at it? It's not like they need a big budget for marketing a Star Wars game. Then you can still save some more on the cinematics.

I'd defend Rebel Assault 1+2. Wait hear me out, put down those pitchforks! For the time it came out it was really ok, not so much a game as an interactive movie/theme park ride.

I would accept that, if that had been pointed on the value package of the game I ended buying because of the screenshots.

The only redeeming part of the Rebel Assault series was the MST3K inspired gag reel Easter Egg in 2. The rest of it was terrible across the board, and anyone saying otherwise has a severe case of nostalgia goggles.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
So are AAA publishers going to learn that quality brings profit, not advertising? (Technically, quality leads to word-of-mouth advertising)

Yosharian

Arcane
It's genuinely good for the first 3/4 of the game until the story starts to fall apart and the diversity quota filler character is pushed to the forefront

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Rebel Assault was a novel experience at that time and it's not like there were many options to put your expensive CD-ROM drive to use.

Not to mention FMV games banked a lot of popularity on the fact that DVD was still years away, and having any kind of video on a garbage wagon PC in the early 90s was a big deal. A lot of 80s and 90s computer tech success based itself on novelty and nerds' endless thirst for it.

Nowadays you can practically rework movie FX on a laptop from the comfort of your bathroom toilet. Novelty is a thing of the past, for better or worse.

Nito

Educated
Patron
I really enjoyed the game, but there's just zero reason to come back to it often, besides maybe unlocking things in a different order. I'm glad it's getting NG+

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
is this worth playing if you think dark souls is shit?

It has good Star Wars visuals and vibes, which went a long way for me. It has a lot of nuTomb Raider style jumps and puzzes in it. The combat and respawns is very Dark Souls though, yes. However it's not as hard, even on hard, so it won't annoy you as much and cause as many reloads, probably. I quit Dark Souls because the saving system annoyed the shit out of me but I finished this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom