Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Classics of Hack and Slash: Die by the Sword and Severance: Blade of Darkness, now with Dark Messiah

Thal

Prophet
“It’s not just hack and slash”, was one the taglines used by developers of Baldur’s Gate (1998) to hype up the game before release. And true to that sentiment, renaissance-era was associated with a slew brilliant crpgs emphasizing either narrative or rpg systems that inevitably end up topping any codex polls, no matter what the nominal topic is.

Well, what if it is just hack and slash? What is best in life? Let’s discuss what makes killing things enjoyable.

Die by the Sword
Die by the Sword (1998) is the ultimate “why didn’t I think of that?” melee action game. Instead of controlling your swings with keys, you control your sword-arm with mouse and your body with keyboard. There is no other game like it. Every other melee combat system seems antiquated in comparison. And no wonder, apparently, the animations and the physics engine were built over several years of postgrad research. And strangely it works. I don’t know anything about programming, but considering how well the enemies fight with it, the AI work must be brilliant.

Since both you and your enemies can block attacks with weapons and shields, it makes sense to aim at the openings. Run past an enemy and hit it with a wide swing, and you’ll hit his back. An orc jumps at you, and you aim a middle swing at his legs. However, you have to be careful with your attacks. A backhand swing will naturally pull your shield away, making your defense wide open for a counterattack. On the other hand, when you do pull off a risky move and behead your enemy with one stroke, you really feel good about yourself. These moves take genuine skill. I think it’s quite telling that the game is immensely satisfying, despite the basic gameplay loop being fight-die-load-repeat until you finally beat the encounter. You get a break here and there with some basic platforming sequences and lightweight puzzles, but most of the time you simply cut your way through a horde of monsters.

Unfortunately, the brilliant combat system also ensured that the game was a massive flop. The learning curve is probably one of the hardest in all gaming. I recall playing the demo back in the 90s but could only clear the first two encounters and even those with luck. I settled for fighting bots in the arena as an ogre, playing golf with orcs until I got bored and moved on to other games.

Basically, when you start the game you’ll flail your sword-arm like a drunk, but by the end like a drunken master. The last level is filled with skeletons, armed with swords and shield like you, and by then fighting them feels like fencing. Most people quit before learning the fine-motor skills required to control the sword, which actually spurred me to write this post. Try the game and have patience to master its systems and you’ll be rewarded with a combat experience like no other. The game comes with Limb for Limb -expansion, which is more of the same, although the learning curve continues after the basic game, providing more content for you once you’ve mastered its combat.

Die by the Sword also has one the most hilarious end credits sequences detailing the entire "plot", written by none other than MCA and a baddie voiced by Tony Jay.
Severance: Blade of Darkness

Coming straight from DBTS Severance: Blade of Darkness (2001) did feel clunky in the beginning, but other way around it probably would have felt chaotic. However, the big draw of cutting your enemies to pieces had much more impact in DBTS where you had tactical reasons for targeting body parts. I soon forgot that though, because simply put, the game is a master class of action game design. It excels in all relevant areas.

Whereas Die by the Sword had frantic action combat, Severance is tactical to the core. This is also where Severance vindicates the existence of the genre: as with DBTS, the combat is deep enough to carry the entire game and puts almost all ARPGS to shame. You have four attack directions; the weapon moves on preset paths and by positioning yourself correctly you connect hits and avoid being hit yourself. Your enemies will look for openings and a mindless charge will only get you killed. Additionally, you have powerful preset combos that you execute with a combination of movement keys and attacks. Most of the time you are trying to pull these off, but since they take long to perform, callous attempts will only get you killed. Furthermore, the game combat is based on stamina management, which makes spamming attacks hard or impossible. The system is generous with basic attacks and simple combos but the best ones might drain the entire stamina bar, so you better be sure what you are doing when you try to execute one.

Every different enemy has their own fighting style, the orcs charging right away and dark knights hiding behind their shields. Even after you learn their movement patters, the combat stays interesting because you have to be aware of your surroundings. If you’re fighting in a staircase or with multiple enemies, your tried and true combos might not work as well as you hope. Moreover, sometimes the designers impede your tactics by placing an archer on a hard-to- reach spot to make things more interesting.

To make things even better, you can choose to play four characters, each with their own fighting styles and combo patterns. The tall Barbarian for example has difficulty hitting short targets, unless you use low swings. Only the Amazon has the infamous dodge roll. I recommend Knight for good all-around experience or Barbarian for timed blocks.

The level design in this game is simply put brilliant. Levels are large enough to feel imposing, but never too large to become tedious. The developers follow the classic Doom-style of showing you the places where you want to go, and then letting you figure out how to get there. Most of the time you are hunting keys and levers, but secret areas, breakable walls and doors, traps and platforming sequences will make all this feel involved. The level design is challenging enough to make you think, but I beat the game without consulting a walkthrough.The game even has some pitch-black areas to further enforce the point that the environment is more than a navigation mesh. Also, monsters behind corners cast shadows on walls, again facilitating tactical thinking.

SMAIH4Y.png

Go on, run to the top, what are you waiting for?

The audio is just as great as the rest of the game. Traps and ambushes are accompanied by sound cues that you will learn to dread. Severance also is one of the few games that took to heart what Diablo taught: often you hear enemies before seeing them, allowing you to plan your moves ahead. As for the music, well, hear for yourself:

Severance has a pretty cool Sword and Sorcery -vibe in art direction as well.
RZeBkQR.png

Severance was criticized for not having difficulty levels and the factory setting being too challenging. Bullshit. Severance and DBTS have one thing in common, which I believe is absolutely essential for an intense hack and slash experience, which is that they ration healing sources. This makes each combat encounter meaningful, since you can never be sure if you can survive the entire level. The basic challenge level is high, but if you pay attention it is entirely possible to clear every encounter without taking a hit.

Severance developers understood correctly what makes games of these types difficult, which is the extent you cast the save/load -spell. Therefore, they allow you to save freely, but the game keeps track of the number of saves and lowers your rating (awesome, heroic, bold, normal) accordingly. Not only does it allow the game to balanced perfectly, it provides an intensive against save scumming while allowing you to do so and still have a challenging game. For once, normal isn’t a code word for retard. The elegance of this solution is so obvious that it is mind baffling that no one else has copied it since.

The plot? Neither Severance or DBTS haven’t got much of it, proving that a good story, while nice to have, is by no means essential.

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
There is only one way to play DBTS, and that is with the mouse. No exceptions.

Not counting the shitty game made by the Frozen Synapse devs, I wish there was another game like DBTS, but with more refined controls and mechanics. Parrying skeles is always fun.

Lemming42

Arcane
Huge fan of Severance. Trying DBTS again thanks to this thread and I can't seem to get past the barrier of entry. The combat fucking sucks and it's not really improving after an hour of trying to get to grips with it. It doesn't help that the sword doesn't actually move in the direction you're moving the mouse - best case scenario, it'll vaguely sort of move in the direction you want. It doesn't seem to factor in the speed at which you move the mouse at all which is a huge flaw and makes it feel less like you're controlling a natural-feeling swordplay simulator and more like you're controlling an ambitious failure from 1998.

I really don't want to play in "Arcade Mode" because not only does that remove the one interesting thing from the game, it also seems to completely suck. Willing to take any advice. Maybe VSIM mode is easier with the arrow keys instead of the mouse?

There is only one way to play DBTS, and that is with the mouse. No exceptions.
The hell it is. Morroweird's got the right of it, numpad all the way. Had a bunch of fun with the expansion back in the day since I loved the arena mode, beating an ogre as a kobold was a hoot.

Morroweird

Educated
There is something called the 'extend arm' button in the config, which works like some sort of power pill - make sure to map it to something convenient to keep held down (I recommend a paperweight).

JDR13

Arcane
Is Severance available for legit download anywhere? I thought it was on GOG, but apparently it's not.

Thal

Prophet
Huge fan of Severance. Trying DBTS again thanks to this thread and I can't seem to get past the barrier of entry. The combat fucking sucks and it's not really improving after an hour of trying to get to grips with it. It doesn't help that the sword doesn't actually move in the direction you're moving the mouse - best case scenario, it'll vaguely sort of move in the direction you want.

Just hang in there, it takes more than an hour. Mouse is the way. I'm sure you can learn the numpad as well, but the big draw here is that you're swinging your sword, not pressing buttons. I think the problem here may be is that your mouse moves in a circular pattern, because your wrist is planted on the desk. You don't have to move your entire arm, but try to imagine that your mouse is a bit like a numpad, 9 directions, and you have to move it from one direction to other. The most useful attack is from right to left, which is simple to execute.

The learning curve in DBTS is different from other games. Most of the time you need to familiarize yourself with the systems or learn what you can or cannot do. It takes only a bit of brain power, and basic understanding of controls. But in DBTS it's pure drilling of fine motor skills, which no one has by default. Kind of like when you're trying to learn a new skill like playing an instrument. In the beginning, you suck, no exceptions, but the reward is good enough to keep you going.

Is Severance available for legit download anywhere? I thought it was on GOG, but apparently it's not.

Codemasters lost the rights in 2014, I believe, and no one knows who has them now. The game is legit abandonware at this point.

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Severance had problems on modern systems IIRC. The framerate was uncapped so they became unplayable.

Thal

Prophet
Severance had problems on modern systems IIRC. The framerate was uncapped so they became unplayable.

When I played the game, I discovered that the game would start only on 3dfxVoodoo 1-2 settings, but even then I sometimes had to try couple of times. Also, if I quit the game and didn't restart Windows, I would have to setup something else, usually opengl, and then immediately resetup 3dfxVoodoo 1-2 before it would work.

Morroweird

Educated
At least World at War was a fairly good one, but yeah, to think they were such a creative company and then settled to do the formulaic off-year Cods. Or they were assigned the job after being purchased by Activision

Morroweird

Educated
Do we lump heretic2 in the same genre? Cause that was in another realm of fun at the time

If I remember that well, it was mostly range-based, without in-depth melee. There was also Rune, without either, but with Vikings ;)

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I played Die By the Sword a long time ago and my god is that game hard. I don't think I ever made it past the segment with the raft. Also I felt slightly disappointed because the cover art for the game suggests something a bit darker and edgier whereas the game itself is quite goofy and cartoony.

897-die-by-the-sword-windows-front-cover.jpg

Open Path

Learned
Die by the Sword was revolutionary, but compared with later examples its combat is slow, his movement/camera is clunky and enemy AI is far from the best.

Blade/Severance -Blade: The Edge of Darkness in most Europe, Wesley Snipes movies/games killed the original name in US- is the pinnacle of this genre of real time hand to hand combat simulation, complex hack & slash with deep control on movements and actions. Rune is the second great example of this kind in first 2000s some steps behind Blade/Severance. There were some other examples of good simulationist combat since then, sometimes including more open world rpg content or more story focus besides the good combat but in other cases as a "pure" examples of this genre: Dark Messiah, Soul Reaver series, Jedi Outcast/Academy, Mount & Blade, Castlevania: LoS, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Nioh, Sekiro

There has been a multiplayer rennaissance in the last years, but in my opinion all the examples are inferior to SP titles: For Honor, Mordhau, Chivalry, etc. However they are still better than western console"H&S", a different, simplified and popamolish style -GoW games, e.g.- that I wouldn't include in the same combat category than the aforementioned.

Japanese console games kept the flame of good hand to hand real time complex combat, sometimes with all the anime foolishness -gameplaywise, as animu un-physics e.g.- and in some cases as a better kind of simple GoW popamoloids, but mostly with very challenging, diverse and rewarding combats and in some cases as some of the best heirs of Severance/Rune: Devil May Cry, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Toukkiden, etc.

I should make a short re-play to judge better, but I would say that my top 10 real time "simulationist" combats are:

1. Blade/Severance

2. Mount & Blade

3. Dark Messiah

4. Rune

5-8. Dragon's Dogma

5-8. Dark Souls

5-8. Jedi Academy

5-8. Castlevania

9. Kingdom Come: Deliverance -with mods, probably higher-

10. Die by the Sword

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played Severance recently and came away slightly disappointed. Good game, but it felt somewhat formulaic and repetitive after a while, and the combat wasn't as deep as it had been made out to be. Spamming the same combo over and over again is usually by far the best option, and even when it isn't, directional attacks rarely matter in practice. I certainly wouldn't rank it above Dark Souls.

It is a gorgeous game, I'll give it that.

Morroweird

Educated
I should make a short re-play to judge better, but I would say that my top 10 real time "simulationist" combats are:
1. Blade/Severance
2. Mount & Blade
3. Dark Messiah
4. Rune
5-8. Dragon's Dogma
5-8. Dark Souls
5-8. Jedi Academy
5-8. Castlevania
9. Kingdom Come: Deliverance -with mods, probably higher-
10. Die by the Sword

This made me remember Nightmare Creatures, which I played at the same time as DbtS. It was more of a 3d version of a side-scrolling beat'em up, with Mortal Kombat like special moves. So not entirely simulationist, but you could cut up zombies and hellhounds to pieces with two different characters! Made by Kallisto, the French devs who also did the amazing and completely forgotten Dark Earth.

Nightmare_creaturescover.jpg

Thal

Prophet
This made me remember Nightmare Creatures, which I played at the same time as DbtS. It was more of a 3d version of a side-scrolling beat'em up, with Mortal Kombat like special moves. So not entirely simulationist, but you could cut up zombies and hellhounds to pieces with two different characters! Made by Kallisto, the French devs who also did the amazing and completely forgotten Dark Earth.

Nightmare_creaturescover.jpg

Thanks for reminding me, I remember having lots of fun with Nightmare Creatures demo back in the 90s. Definitely part of Hack & Slash in my opinion, and I should take another look now.

Heretic II
Never played it, but would like to.

I'm on my second playthrough of Dark Messiah and am probably going to post my impressions soon. As for other games, if the game's big draw is real-time combat that is more complex than mashing the left mouse button, it belongs in this thread.

yellowcake

Arcane
Huge fan of Severance. Trying DBTS again thanks to this thread and I can't seem to get past the barrier of entry. The combat fucking sucks and it's not really improving after an hour of trying to get to grips with it. It doesn't help that the sword doesn't actually move in the direction you're moving the mouse - best case scenario, it'll vaguely sort of move in the direction you want. It doesn't seem to factor in the speed at which you move the mouse at all which is a huge flaw and makes it feel less like you're controlling a natural-feeling swordplay simulator and more like you're controlling an ambitious failure from 1998.

I really don't want to play in "Arcade Mode" because not only does that remove the one interesting thing from the game, it also seems to completely suck. Willing to take any advice. Maybe VSIM mode is easier with the arrow keys instead of the mouse?

You really need to practice moves in the arena mode, trying various opponents. I remember practicing on new baddies as they showed up in the game and only progressing if I was able to deal with three at once or something, depending on the creature.

Anyway, the game is great and I had tremendous fun, great feeling of accomplishment as you learned the ropes. I dropped it eventually though on a platforming section that seemed an insurmountable obstacle - jumping over gears of some gate opening mechanism.

JDR13

Arcane
I remember Nightmare Creatures quite fondly. I played through the PS1 version back in the day and enjoyed it. Very dark atmosphere and a cool setting. Wouldn't mind seeing that one get a remake.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom