Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warcraft III: Reforged - now with lowest user metacritic score of all time

Generic-Giant-Spider

I too also thought WC3 was a hideous game when it came out. Much preferred WC2's visuals.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
2D visuals, when done right, will always be superior to 3D, imo.

And they of course age way better too.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
So there's a torrent floating around calling itself WC3 1.29 - was anyone brave enough to check if this is the last legit version of WC3, complete with widescreen support?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So there's a torrent floating around calling itself WC3 1.29 - was anyone brave enough to check if this is the last legit version of WC3, complete with widescreen support?

Even if it is, i assume you'd have to block the executable with a firewall because the version with widescreen support was tied to the launcher, which updates as soon as you run the game.

In fact if i knew i'd have blocked it right away but now it's too late. :negative:

I got the electronic versions of the game stashed away in my hardware, the downloads Blizzard offered before, and they go as high as 1.27.

Last edited:

Danikas

Arcane
Real decline is in Rts genre compare the 90s and early 2000s to the situation today. Rts games are almost dead and instead of them we get retarted mobas.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
DotA killed the RTS genre. You could say it was the hero concept present in Warcraft 3 that prompted the decline.

We did have a brief resurgence in the form of DoW 1, though. That was the last great RTS.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah well this was supposed to revitalized the scene, maybe pave the way to Warcraft 4, or so thought the poor deluded Blizzfans. Ho, the ironing!

Danikas

Arcane
We did have a brief resurgence in the form of DoW 1, though. That was the last great RTS.
I would consider World in Conflict to be last great Rts had so much fun with it. I found it funny how Wargame: Red Dragon from 2014 looks like shit compared to it.

MWaser

Arbiter
idk what you guys are on about, I found the warcraft 3 base graphics pretty aesthetic (aside from some units looking particularly bad, but I would count them more as exceptions than the rule)

Even if it is, i assume you'd have to block the executable with a firewall because the version with widescreen support was tied to the launcher, which updates as soon as you run the game.

In fact if i knew i'd have blocked it right away but now it's too late. :negative:

I got the electronic versions of the game stashed away in my hardware, the downloads Blizzard offered before, and they go as high as 1.27.
I've moved my current warcraft 3 folder between like 4 computers, which was a CD install (of someone else's CD so also cracked) and now I'm sticking with that barely working 1.28.

Amazingly enough warcraft 3 is one of those games that you can just move the folder with the game files around and launch it everywhere with the executable.

Citizen

You could say it was the hero concept present in Warcraft 3 that prompted the decline.

Heroes were cool, I just wish maps didn't require to grind neutral mooks in the forest for xp. Concept of an elite unit gaining powers by participating in battles is pretty alrite for a skrimish based RTS. Also I doubt hero units were invented by wc3, they were already in warlords battlecry games

Olinser

Savant
You could say it was the hero concept present in Warcraft 3 that prompted the decline.

Heroes were cool, I just wish maps didn't require to grind neutral mooks in the forest for xp. Concept of an elite unit gaining powers by participating in battles is pretty alrite for a skrimish based RTS. Also I doubt hero units were invented by wc3, they were already in warlords battlecry games

If you actually followed the development of Warcraft 3 back in the day it was originally very, VERY different in its early builds. They were basically testing something similar to Dawn of War (which didn't exist at the time), and the idea was that normal units COULDN'T move around on their own, that they had to be attached to a hero squad, and that the regular gameplay was very much more quest based and RPG rather than RTS.

Of course they jettisoned that idea but kept heroes for the final Warcraft 3, but then of course they went to World of Warcraft.

eviltentacle

Novice

Zapp Brannigan would love Warcraft 3.
y2ov0Xl.jpg

Jigby

Augur
You can download the Public Test realm version from blizzard, which is the 1.31.1 version. Although I believe somebody has already mentioned it in this thread.

catfood

AGAIN

You don't need to block it. Just don't click 'ok' when the update prompt appears.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also I doubt hero units were invented by wc3, they were already in warlords battlecry games
They weren't invented by WC3 but it had a long development and a huge influence on the genre even before it was released. Some older RTS had hero units, but only in campaign in most cases. I remember the term RPS (role playing strategy) thrown around, and how it would revolutionize the genre, I think a few games (Kingdom under Fire and Warlords Battlecry, probably more) where "inspired" by WC3 previews and released in the meantime, even if they played more like normal RTS with heroes in skirmish on top. WC3 wasn't the first RTS with heroes in multiplayer/skirmish, but it changed the core gameplay from big bases and tons of workers + tons of units to hero + units as support for the hero.

Also I doubt hero units were invented by wc3, they were already in warlords battlecry games

War Wind (1996) had them already. Stupidly obscure game but had its own charm with its 4 factions.
War Wind had a ton of cool things rarely or never seen in other RTS. The heroes weren't quite the same concept as in WC3 though, you had clan leaders that were just ok in combat, and you lost when they died, and mercenary heroes from the inn or found on the map, and they weren't as stupidly strong and essential to your strategy as heroes in WC3.

DraQ

Arcane
Starcraft had heroes.
Myths had veterans and pretty much all units were named.

The only thing WC3 brought to the table was 3D calarts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom