Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's learn about fighting games and get murdered together.

• Thread starter Generic-Giant-Spider
  • Start date

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Pretty good video on the problems of casualization (and SF5 in general):

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

By pushing the hurr durr smash no fightan gaem yourself. Smash is a legit fighting game genre end of story. 2D/3D/platform/arena, all fighting games, not that hard. Only edgy children argue otherwise.

Smash Bros is good
Smash Bros is great
I surrender my soul
To Nintendo today

Melcar

Arcane
Smash is a fighting game. Just that, you know, the Fighting genre has many subgenres, like everything else. It would be like labeling all RPGs under one single umbrella term, when we all know there are many types of RPGs. Cue in what's an RPG discussion.

Curratum

Smash is a fighting game. Just that, you know, the Fighting genre has many subgenres, like everything else. It would be like labeling all RPGs under one single umbrella term, when we all know there are many types of RPGs. Cue in what's an RPG discussion.

Smash is as much a fighting game as NMSky is a first-person shooter, i.e. you can have a "weapon" in your hands and point it at things and shoot it, but the similarities end there.

vota DC

Augur
Another 3D fighting game I adored was Bushido Blade on the PS1, with a roster of samurai and sword / naginata / hammer / etc fighters. You had to time your blocks with the strikes, could kill or get killed in 1 blow, could maim your opponent progressively by striking their arms or legs, could throw knives at them or earth in their eyes, and run around the arena as you wished. I've never seen another game like it.

Sounds like Die by the sword. One hitting was quite rare (mostly from ogre).

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
What are good singleplayer fighting games for someone who prays to the machine spirits for human obsolescence?
Any of them really. If you're not trying to be competitive and just playing arcade/story mode, any you enjoy would do. I've been playing several for like a decade, I've only beaten the bosses a handful of times on the highest difficulty. Specially in SNK games, they read your inputs and hit like a truck.

If you want some meat: Soul Calibur 2, Tekken 3, the new Granblue Fantasy VS, some of the PS2 Narutos, Dragon Ball Budokai 3 (no Tenkaichi), Dragonball FighterZ, Xenoverse, MK9, or get a hybrid with a beat'm'up like Red Earth, Fight'n'Rage or Shadow over Mystara.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
I don't see the point of playing the older renditions of certain franchises. What does a Tekken 3 have that Tekken 7 doesn't right now?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I don't see the point of playing the older renditions of certain franchises. What does a Tekken 3 have that Tekken 7 doesn't right now?
Remember that he asked for single player: https://tekken.fandom.com/wiki/Tekken_Force_(Mode)

gamefaqs said:
Team battle, time attack, and survival are omitted entirely. There's also no Vs CPU option for some bizarre reason! Inbefore "Time attack doesn't matter. Just slap a timer on arcade mode", which would be a fair argument really, except that they didn't even bother do that!

Arcade mode is cut down to merely 5 battles, the fourth always being Heihachi and the last being either Kazumi or Akuma. I hear there's a small chance a powered up Jin might show up instead of Heihachi under certain conditions, but if that's true, it isn't much.

Ghost battle is gone, and in its place is a poor man's replacement called treasure battle. It doesn't let you choose your next opponent and it takes multiple battles for it to change the stage (The sod?!). And the AI is possibly the worst I've seen in the series even on the highest difficulty.

There's a dedicated story mode this time called the Mishima Saga. All CGI work went into that. Most other characters have single battle (yes, I mean it) "character episodes". The ending are rendered with the in-game engine. The majority of them however are played for laughs and even have everyone scratch their heads trying to figure out how they fit with the story mode which seems to be canon. The season pass characters have no character episodes.

So yeah, unless you REALLY can get enjoyment out of treasure battle, I don't recommend this.

Generic-Giant-Spider

This is just me, but I always think it's fun to take a trip down memory lane or see how a franchise's roots began. The original Street Fighter for example is such a wildly different game to what came after it and while I wouldn't place it anywhere near being a good game it is an interesting piece of history that introduced characters you'd see later like Ryu, Ken, Sagat (and Eagle). Some of them actually play a bit differently, Fatal Fury for example has a laneway system in which a character can move to the foreground/background seamlessly and certain sequels even brought in a ring out win condition which at the time you didn't see in your traditional 2D fighter.

In other cases the gameplay holds up and even surpasses the current day game.

What are good singleplayer fighting games for someone who prays to the machine spirits for human obsolescence?

Modern era: Mortal Kombat 9 (just called Mortal Kombat, but it was the one released in 2011), Mortal Kombat XL, Mortal Kombat 11, Injustice, Injustice 2, Soul Calibur VI, Killer Instinct. These are the games that someone casually into fighting games but not someone that has a deeper interest will enjoy single player wise. King of Fighters XIV, Street Fighter V, Ultra Street Fighter IV, are the types of games that if you're into fighting games generally you'll derive lots of enjoyment from when it comes to playing a large roster and trying to master/feel out characters in various modes of play such as survival or mission/trials.

I've not had much experience with them but I do think ArcSys games have decent content in them as well. Someone more proficient in those games could tell you more than I could.

Previous eras:

Soul Calibur III - To its own competitive detriment, SC3 was at the time the only SC game that did not see an arcade release and was created purely for console. At the time the PS2 online infrastructure wasn't very satisfactory and thus online play wasn't included. To make up for this, Namco put in -a lot- of content for single player such as a CYOA style story mode for every character, unlockable characters, in-game shop (don't worry, this is before companies tried to assfuck you with microtransactions) where you can buy weapons/armor/special items for the main roster and your own created fighter, a faux tournament mode where the AI gets progressively harder, traditional arcade and mission mode, and Chronicles of the Sword which is kind of like a strategy RPG merged with a fighting game. I'll cover this game more in detail though, because it's probably the most controversial SC game due to how casuals see it vs. how hardcores see it. Soul Calibur II is also a very good entry here, as it has a fuckload of unlockable modes (most of which involve variations on things like acade/survival/time attack) and the stupidly addictive Weapon Master mode.

Mortal Kombat: Deception - This game spared no one when it came to single player content and I mean that. It's probably the one fighting game that is the most packed. Deception is when MK started to take on the idea of a story mode much more seriously and featured a fully playable Konquest mode in which you will spend many many hours traversing all the crazy realms and learning all about MK lore as well as having a lot of secrets to discover. The Krypt is where a lot of replayability goes since you accumulate in-game currency in almost everything you do and go to this graveyard with something stupid like 500 tombs which you can buy and unlock anything from concept art to alternate costumes to new characters. Now in Deception, there are two modes they added in: Chess Kombat and Puzzle Kombat. Chess Kombat is as you'd guess, Chess but using the MK roster as your traditional pieces. It's not a faithful conversion though, you have some spells you can use to turn the tides and each time a piece is about to be killed you instead fight that piece and if you win you take the space. It's pretty fun. Then there's Puzzle Kombat which is entirely different and is a game-within-a-game. It's a Tetris style competitive game (similar to Super Puzzle Fighter) where each time you break blocks you add more bullshit for your opponent to get through with the intent being to create big combos of block breaks to overwhelm them and watch as your midget MK character gruesomely murders them. Every MK character selectable in the mode has a special power associated with them that is able to help you or disrupt the opponent. Scorpion scrambles the enemy's blocks and can completely ruin their gameplan, Ermac telekinetically lifts blocks off your field to give more breathing room, Kenshi turns the enemy's field invisible. I'm not kidding you when I say this but I played Puzzle Kombat more than the actual Deception game. If they ever bring this shit out again I'm buying it ASAP no questions asked. There's also Deadly Alliance and Armageddon which are good entries for single player as well. DA I'm pretty sure has the biggest Krypt of the PS2 MKs and Armageddon has a beat 'em up style Konquest mode as well as a Mario Kart racer.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Xrd revelator in particular has an insane singleplayer mode where you get to customize your char with all kinds of crazy stuff not included in regular play through a sort of ""dungeon crawl"" (no exploration, just fights/loot/stats) system. It's pretty insane considering the work that went into a mode a lot of people hardly know exists.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

This logic is flawed. Newer != better
Tekken 5 has everything that makes 7 good and none of 7's bad aspects (like ultimate moves, which I fucking hate). Oh Tekken 6 can be left in the garbage bin where it belongs.
Soul Calibur 4 and 5 suck dick, 6 is not quite as tight as 2 and 3 would be better than 2 if it hasn't horribly broken and full of bugs.
Brawl is slow as molasses compared to melee and smash 4 is generally shit.

Generic-Giant-Spider

When it comes to Soul Calibur games, I rate them as... SC2 = SCVI > SCV > SC1 > SCIV > SC3 > SB. This is in terms of fun competitive game.

SCVI to me is the best entry since SC2, SC3 was really fucked due to all the dumb glitches, SCV had so much potential in its gameplay and SCIV was so fucking shit because of Hilde along with the game itself feeling so slow.

Soul Blade didn't have the refinements that SC1 brought in and would make staples in the series, it played kind of like Tekken with weapons but didn't feel as good. It did have some great music though. Bravely Folk Song was THE jam.

Apparently the SC3: Arcade Edition that came out after SC3's release made SC3 waaaay better and some think if they did a re-release that had Arcade Edition's fixes with the console content of SC3 it could be the definitively best game of the series.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Here are some ways you can enjoy DA CLASS1X with some emulators I use.

Arcade - MAME - Fightcade

Mame is the emulator you will tend to want to go with if you're looking for arcade games of yesteryear. I find the best emulator and one you can comfortably download since it has a high number of fighting games available on it as well as constantly adding more is the Fightcade one which pretty much is MAME but with superior rollback netcode. You can find it on the main Fightcade website and it is easy to set up. Getting ROMs is as simple as putting the ROM into the Fightcade's ROM directory BUT you want to make sure you're using proper ROM versions. When you see the list of games on Fightcade's emulator pay attention to the version in brackets. For example, if I wanted to play Street Fighter Alpha 2 I'd get the SFA2 MAME ROM which had 960306 USA next to it. This is the version that Fightcade supports. Some ROMs for Neo-Geo may require you to download the Neo-Geo emulator which you also put into the ROM directory since Fightcade needs Neo-Geo's bios to run the games properly.

Dreamcast - ReDream

This is probably the easiest emulator to use right away and is as straightforward as you'll get. Download it, get DC ROMs, set the directory to where you saved the DC ROMs when you load up the emulator, and you're good to go. If when downloading ROMs you see an option for CDI or GDI, just know that CDI tends to mean some files are moved around or missing and is compressed which can affect the quality while GDI is an accurate 1:1 rip though it tends to be bigger in file size as a result.

Great fighting games to play on this: Marvel vs. Capcom 2, SoulCalibur, Capcom vs. SNK 2, Street Fighter III: Third Strike, Guilty Gear X, Garou: Mark of the Wolves.

Playstation 2 - PCSX2

Another fairly easy to use emulator, but depending on your computer can be a slight bitch to tinker with. I can't really provide a foolproof set up to finding that sweet spot as everyone's seems to vary slightly. Maybe you'll be lucky like me and barely have to change much. Just know one thing though: if you're going to play 2D games on here go to Config > Video > Plugin Settings and set Renderer to any "Software" bracketed setting. Not doing so makes these eye raping lines pop up and make everything ugly.

DATZ COOL BUT WHERE DO I GET DA ROMZ?

My "go to" site is Vimm's Lair which has a huge library spanning almost every console. Arcade games may be trickier due to needing a specific version but just type the game and version of it you need and you should find a decent site that won't try to steal your IP and hijack your webcam when you're masturbating. I think CoolROM is good.

Last edited by a moderator:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Redream had issues with input on OSX :(

EDIT: okay, so when you leave a key pressed, and then press and release another key, the first key isn't pressed anymore. That's a necessity for some basic and most advanced combos.

I left an Issue on their repo when I found it. I know it's not a hard fix because I've cooked my own version of FinalBurn with some changes to the controls. Someday ;_________;

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

No MK11, Marvel 2 returns.

IgnorantBlissfulBarebirdbat-size_restricted.gif

Smash Bros is there to remind the world why we use body soap because I can't figure out why some shitty casual party game would be in a fighting game spectacle other-

I mean, WHOA. Smash Bros is awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing Donkey Kong and Duck Hunt Dog duke it out. Maybe there will be DLC for the MARIO GOOMBA??? HYPE?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Why not Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 instead?

Smash Bros is there to remind the world why we use body soap because I can't figure out why some shitty casual party game would be in a fighting game spectacle

Again, it's consequence of Melee being inadvertently very technical and having a virtually infinite skill ceiling:

More similiar to Dragon Ball than DB games are :lol:

No Melee, fuck Evo.

Melee is now held in it's own tournament, it's a shane but still EVO is pretty cool.
It's the only videogame competion that's actually good and entertaining to watch. Specially the Tekken competitions are great, each year it always seems something interesting is happening.

Now if they only would replace SFV with Street Fighter Alpha 3

Fixed

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom