Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rock-Paper-Shotgun Top 50 RPGs on PC

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The first good game on the list is on place 6, and its not even a proper RPG

Yosharian

Arcane
I don't understand how something like FFX can get on the list but Kingmaker doesn't get a look-in. I mean FFX is a fairly decent JRPG, if you like that sort of thing, but top 50 RPGs? I mean in the Final Fantasy series alone there are much better games.

And I quite liked some aspects of Ni No Kuni 2 but it's an extremely flawed game, there are some truly awful design choices there.

Yet Kingmaker gets no love, it's not perfect by any means but come on.

Not to mention that both of these games are primarily console games, and PC games second, it says 'on PC' in the title of the list yet console JRPGs are heavily featured?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
this list lack jrpgs.

02. Dark Souls
11. Undertale
12. Nier: Automata
13. Yakuza 0 [new entry]
14. Stardew Valley
15. Planescape: Torment
19. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster [new entry]
21. Monster Hunter World
32. Anachronox
35. Dragon Quest 11 [new entry]
45. Chrono Trigger [new entry]
50. Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom [new entry]

I think 12-ish entries is more than enough

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
you won't find anything better on mainstream media
That's a low bar, especially with the internet when it's easy to find something better in seconds
Of course you can find better lists, but they won't have 1/100 of the reach and influence that RPS has. That's the whole deal of mainstream media.

And It's good that we finally have mainstream media praising games like Kenshi and Star Traders, but if you went there expecting something amazing tailored for Codex's tastes, then you only have yourself to blame.

Yosharian

Arcane
Why is Brogue up there but no Nethack? I thought Nethack was the pinnacle of roguelikes.

And what the fuck is this 'Din's Curse' game? It looks like Diablo 2 remade by a team of 5-year-olds. This has to be some sort of joke. Alright that was unnecessarily harsh, I take it back. Still don't see what it's doing on the list.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
it would be nice if i could *view* the article but i guess RPS doesn't want my attention - i can't view it with adblocker and i'm sure as fuck not gonna disable it. does anyone got a copy n paste of the list
I checked and I can see the site just fine. I am using Adblock Plus, uBlock Origin and AdBlocker Ultimate. Maybe you're using an old version or something?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
And what the fuck is this 'Din's Curse' game? It looks like Diablo 2 remade by a team of 5-year-olds. This has to be some sort of joke.
Alright I'm curious about NEO Scavenger, Star Traders: Frontiers and SUNLESS SKIES. Any of those 3 worth buying?
Must hurt when the SJW journos of mainstream media clearly know more about good RPGs than your edgy ass.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Of course you can find better lists, but they won't have 1/100 of the reach and influence that RPS has. That's the whole deal of mainstream media.

And It's good that we finally have mainstream media praising games like Kenshi and Star Traders, but if you went there expecting something amazing tailored for Codex's tastes, then you only have yourself to blame.
You might well be correct that this list is the best we can expect from mainstream videogame "journalism", but this supposedly Top 50 CRPGs list has zero games from the 1980s and three games from the 1990s, indicating the writers possess remarkably little knowledge of the computer game genre they are ranking.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

You might well be correct that this list is the best we can expect from mainstream videogame "journalism", but this supposedly Top 50 CRPGs list has zero games from the 1980s and three games from the 1990s, indicating the writers possess remarkably little knowledge of the computer game genre they are ranking.

That has been the problem with "mainstream" games press for almost 20 years, they have no sense of history and the memory of a fruit fly

If that's the best we can expect from mainstream reviewers, then there's no reason to even bother. When I read magazines in the 90ies, they always had at least one guy who really knew his RPGs and that's how I learned about all the good games. This list has so much crap on it, if I were going by it I would have given up on the genre before I got to love it

I love me a good list, but if it promotes more crap than actually quality material, it does more harm than good. Another of my fav genres, metroidvanias, often suffers from the same, games that are clearly not metroidvanias, but because he reviewer liked it for some specific reason, so they put them in best metroidvania lists instead of actual games that should be highlighted

E.g. nothing against Yakuza, but it doesn't belong in an RPG list, same for terrible and late ports, e.g. Chrono Trigger, (or honestly any console ports)

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I expected it to be a list of Bioware and Squaresoft games, so it did better than I expected. Still if you shuffled the order and then removed half the titles at random, you'd probably get a better list.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Fallout nr. 28????????????????

Bloodlines nr. 44?????????????

Ahah.. ahahah.. AHAHAHAHAH

oh wow.jpg

Can somebody ask Fuck-paper-douchebag how the weather is like on their planet?

Silverfish

Arbiter
Came in expecting Skyrim at #1 and Bioware nonsense making up the rest of the top 10, so I'm pleasantly surprised. Someone at RPS confused Yakuza and Shenmue though.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Some real retardation on that list. I mean, where the fuck is ELEX? Or Gothic for that matter...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom