Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
IMO you shouldn't push it and if it reaches near completion then you should remove those bars - once the Avatar project enters final stage you have 24 hours to respond and that clock doesn't reset if you setback aliens research. Just try to gain access to labs in regions out of your reach first and attack those which have most progress made outside of your controlled sectors as destroying them will remove all of the contributed Avatar research.

I also recommend making a hacker and a medic from support class. The hacker should do hacking whenever possible as their chances increase if they hack stuff regularly. By mid-late game you will often have chances to take control of robotic enemies and turn them against opfor.

I've not played in some time, but I thought the delay was much longer, something closer to 14 days (depending on the difficulty, easier difficulty = more days).

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Manage to write this in the wrong thread once, hopefully this time it arrives in the correct address:

Just started playing this game yesterday, any tips I should be aware of? This game feels very busy, like I don't have enough time to get any proper research or buildings going on as I'm constantly bombarded with missions to do every 1-2 days that I keep having to do with the lowest tier equipment, in addition to a doomsday clock Avatar project that I also have to worry about and now the budget payments also have to be collected from drop off locations which also eats up time. Also some missions are giving me a run for my money whereas the first game was very baby difficult. Maybe it's because I bought the game with the expansion + other DLCs? Am I just being overloaded by the additional content?
Disable alien rulers DLC.

Also, I found that changing ini to make alien bit slower to introduce more powerful unit, and increase research cost to compensate is more fun. (But you should probably do vanilla first.)

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Well this is highly embarrassing, but I finally finished XCOM 2 only to realize that I wasn't actually playing the expansion, just the base game as I didn't realize that they were separate clients. It felt a bit hum ho to me and left a middling taste in my mouth, but I did start a new game with WOTC and now I'm kind of glad that I did play the base game first. The improvements are obvious and it really does feel like a different game, and it's a whole lot better and more fun, and I feel like I can appreciate the changes now that I know what to compare it with. The most immediate improvement for me was being able to choose a different OST, so I picked the remix of the original X-COM. The new maps, enemies and atmosphere feels better overall in the expansion. Nice shit so far, nice shit.

eXalted

Arcane
The new maps, enemies and atmosphere feels better overall in the expansion. Nice shit so far, nice shit.
And after beating it install Long War 2 and experience the vanilla shit engine again. Get mad and confused, and then start liking LW2 more than WOTC.

Mazisky

Magister
It is a classic expansion like it used to be on almost any title in the 90's. Lot of content and integrated to the main game

bataille

Arcane
Long war of the chosen is a mess at the moment, and it doesn't have any WotC content enabled right now. So it's a buggy version of regular long war 2. Come back in 5 years, I guess.

bataille

Arcane
So it's a buggy version of regular long war 2..
Buggier than the original LW2? Damn it, I just installed it and set it up with a couple of my fav WotC mods.

When I played LW 2 on its release, there wasn't anything obviously broken or glitchy (at least nothing that was truly glaring). This one, however, has some quite noticeable things like zero rewards for certain missions, bugged enemy spawns, questionable balancing, mangled animations, whole mechanics not working, some logical paths are bugged (certain sequences of actions lead to wrong outcomes). It's really far from being worth it for a casual player. I'd say let the dedicated testers help iron it out, and come back later. Not 5 years, obviously, but 1 year is probably a good guesstimate.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Buggier than the original LW2? Damn it, I just installed it and set it up with a couple of my fav WotC mods.

When I played LW 2 on its release, there wasn't anything obviously broken or glitchy (at least nothing that was truly glaring). This one, however, has some quite noticeable things like zero rewards for certain missions, bugged enemy spawns, questionable balancing, mangled animations, whole mechanics not working, some logical paths are bugged (certain sequences of actions lead to wrong outcomes). It's really far from being worth it for a casual player. I'd say let the dedicated testers help iron it out, and come back later. Not 5 years, obviously, but 1 year is probably a good guesstimate.
WOTC LW is not made by Pavonis

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yeah, after finishing LW2 for the base game, they went on to work on their own game, an XCOM-like called TERRA INVICTA

ArchAngel

Arcane

It seems I got lied to by some people :D

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Yeah, after finishing LW2 for the base game, they went on to work on their own game, an XCOM-like called TERRA INVICTA
Isn't it more a strategic game than an XCOM-clone? I thought they didn't plan to have tactical battles.

baud

Arcane
Patron

Isn't it more a strategic game than an XCOM-clone? I thought they didn't plan to have tactical battles.

You are right, I was just too lazy to write more; I used XCOM-like to mean it's the main theme of fighting as humans against an alien attacker. But I hadn't followed it since I heard about in on the XCOM subreddit, watching this trailer it look like a little bit like a 4X.

eXalted

Arcane
Went back to vanilla LW2. I really enjoyed the WotC expansion but Long War 2 + WotC not that much. Having Reapers and all the other Power Rangers really ruins the atmosphere for me. No longer I feel like fighting a force greater and stronger than me. compared to the vanilla LW2 that really gives me that old school X-Com vibe.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I wanna get back into this game.

I never played any of the DLCS.

So what's the concensus? DLCs are good? Long War2 mod is better? Which should I go with for a fresh playthrough.

mastroego

Arcane
XCOM2 + DLCs is somewhat like playing with a superheroe squad.
Not the best approach for this kind of game, but it can be fun, in moderation.

LW2 is vanilla only, which also means engine bugs and all. LW2 port for DLC version is unofficial and not in a ready state anyway.
I suggest DLCs + top community mods. I could post my setup but it might be a tad obsolete by now.

honestly I prefer just XCOM2 base and LW2 and MODS, hate WOTC super hero shit, LW2 with mods is the best XCOM2 got for me

must have like 60 mods running on my LW2 game and its now stable

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom