Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Realms Beyond Kickstarter Update #22: World Map, Coin and Combat Beta Status

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Ceres Games; Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen

The previous Realms Beyond Kickstarter update was published back in November and feels like it was even longer ago than that. So you might not remember that the game's combat beta was supposed to have been released in January. According to today's new update that was a bit optimistic and it still needs a few more weeks of polishing. In the meantime, Ceres are offering a batch of new screenshots from the beta as well as a first glimpse at the game's world map and physical coin reward.

Finished Map
As you may remember, a map painted by the talented Francesca Baerald was our first stretch goal. Today, we can proudly present the magnificent outcome. Francesca delivered a masterpiece of a map with a huge number of details and a high density of information for the player. Cities, villages, dungeons, rivers, roads… all the major landmarks you will encounter on your journey through Argea are part of this highly detailed hand-painted map.

As a reminder, the map will be printed and included into the physical game box editions. It will also appear in-game on the map screen, where it will help you plan your journey through the Realms Beyond.

We try to avoid spoilers at this point, therefore we won’t show the full high resolution map yet. But as little demonstration of the level of detail you can expect, here is a small zoomed in part of the map (marked in red color).

Coin Design
Along with the map, Francesca also designed the concept art of the coin that will be included in the boxed edition of Realms Beyond. The drawing is exceptionally beautiful, and we let you have a glimpse at what the coin will look like. On the obverse, you can see Conall, the King of Cormac, and the reverse bears his coat of arms and the motto of his kingdom.

The colored version is just an illustration. The actual coin will be minted from metal and therefore be of a single color. It will have a diameter of approximately 40 millimeters (about 1.57 inch).

Backer Contributions
Once the combat demo is complete and published, we will finally work on the backer contributions. For that purpose, we have already added an inventory to our forums, where backers can enter their reward data based on backer tier. Before we can unlock it, we first have to check for potential issues with privacy and copyright (this is especially relevant for backers contributing NPC portraits, since we will work with your photos).

In addition, backers of tiers from 500 EUR upwards will be contacted personally by email, as their reward content requires more in-depth cooperation for its implementation into the game.

Combat Beta Status

We’re still working hard on completing the combat beta, but aren’t quite happy with its current state yet. Apart from a couple of bugs and missing elements (such as monster portraits and SFX), we are also working on the content and encounter design. As the combat beta will be the first public release of our game, we want to deliver a good first impression (especially since some people will likely show off the gameplay on stream or on YouTube). Therefore we can’t hastily release a half-baked and bug-ridden version of it, as this would taint the image of our game in the public eye. We ask you to be patient for a few more weeks, so we can release a polished version we can be proud of and you can enjoy without hiccups.

To make the waiting a little more bearable, here are a handful of screenshots from the first level of the combat demo (we don’t want to spoil the later levels yet!).
A few more weeks it is then. I wonder how many locations on that map will actually make it into the game.

I agree that the perspective angle is alittle odd, but the quality of the artwork appears mich greater than I remember. I look forward to this release.

Drowed

Arcane
I don't think it's exactly the perspective, but the shadows that are not present where they should be, which makes the image look flat (something more visible in some screenshots than in others). I don't know if it's the engine that treats shadows fundamentally wrong, or if it's a question of style, what I do know is that the end result is something that's almost visually incredible... If it wasn't odd.

Which is strange because I can see that there is an immense attention to detail in the construction of the scenarios, both in the quality of the textures as well as the quantity of objects and their arrangement. It's strange how sometimes only one thing can have such a big effect.

But the concept and general idea of the game still sounds great, good work!

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I find the angle of the view eccentric, but I really like it because I get the feeling that everything will always be easily view-able and appear not cluttered.

The thing that throws me off a little are the walls always running in the same directions. For me, it appears a bit unnatural and clashes with the character models, which face in many different directions and throw in lines into the screen shots that are at odd angles to the walls.

The angle of the view also appears to exaggerate or understate the outlines/shapes of the models depending on which way they're facing, but I don't really mind that.

Last edited:

Farewell into the night

Nice update. I don't mind the perspective, I don't see anything wrong with it. Map looks cool to me, Francesca did a great job!

MrMarbles

Cipher
Nice update. I don't mind the perspective, I don't see anything wrong with it. Map looks cool to me, Francesca did a great job!

I don't mind the perspective either. All in all this is the prettiest game I've seen in a while, the graininess reminds me a little of Arcanum.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Huh, I didn't know about this game, looks good so far, the "graininess" makes it feel like it's printed in an old tome. I actually like the distorted perspective, it makes it stranger and more foreign somehow in a good way. I also looooove the UI, finally something which isn't just those featureless "modern" squares. As for the map, ehhhhhhhhhhh, the places kinda look like something I'd have doodled in my notebook while bored in school.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
This looks the best of them all, honestly. They just have to refrain from having too many featureless wilderness maps.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
francesca kicks ass and the map looks good as hell

User0001

Savant
Extremely excited for this. Like many others here, I share very high hopes and this truly feels like what TOEE aimed for and beyond (lulz).
BUT, looking at the vast scope of the world map I can't shake the feeling that the game is a long way from completion. Just speculating, it wouldn't surprise me if parts of the game will be released in pieces throughout a longer period of time. Think I saw some statements at their official forum that indicated something like this.

Maybe they'll do first part early 2021, then late 2021 - and so on, so forth..

.. or maybe I should have some faith and just stfu.

Edit: https://www.realms-beyond.com/forum/index.php?topic=38.0
December 22, 2017
HobGoblin42
Administrator
... But since we plan to evolve this game over the next 10 or so years, I am sure at some point, we will see new character classes - implemented by us or by other users (our RPG framework will allow that).

^From two years ago but nonetheless.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I share very high hopes and this truly feels like what TOEE aimed for and beyond

They had me at...

Zmgz8Sp.jpg

:shredder:

I wonder how much of that is still in.

Last edited:

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Extremely excited for this. Like many others here, I share very high hopes and this truly feels like what TOEE aimed for and beyond (lulz).
BUT, looking at the vast scope of the world map I can't shake the feeling that the game is a long way from completion. Just speculating, it wouldn't surprise me if parts of the game will be released in pieces throughout a longer period of time. Think I saw some statements at their official forum that indicated something like this.

Maybe they'll do first part early 2021, then late 2021 - and so on, so forth..

.. or maybe I should have some faith and just stfu.

Edit: https://www.realms-beyond.com/forum/index.php?topic=38.0
December 22, 2017
HobGoblin42
Administrator
... But since we plan to evolve this game over the next 10 or so years, I am sure at some point, we will see new character classes - implemented by us or by other users (our RPG framework will allow that).

^From two years ago but nonetheless.

AFAIK its piece by piece of the map, in in several games

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom