Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rock-Paper-Shotgun Top 50 RPGs on PC

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's a decent list...

because its literally like you made it

Dark Souls + a billion obscure JRPGs for repressed homosexuals

Japan bad guys give me upvotes!

2013-09-05-maron.jpg

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
What, no Stick of truth!?!

It is like they just throw a list of games up in the air and see how they fall.
I'm fairly sure this is more or less what happens. But this list ranks particularly high when it comes to including absolutely random games with no rhyme nor reason. Stardew Valley, Hand of fate. What.

As a side note, I often wonder if the guy who first included Chrono trigger on a list like that as the ultimate jprg knows what he's done. It's now on literally every top crpg list, including ones made in potato, a country where no one has ever played it and I'm willing to bet my left bollock 9/10 of people making these lists would not recognize it if you showed them a screenshot.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
When it comes to RPG only the codex have competently put list of RPGs. Any other site has a bunch of random and popular games mished together and presented as a list. People that take such lists seriously are retarded,and yes that list is painful to watch.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The Top 20 is basically a copy of the Metacritic RPG list, though it is indeed nice and surprising to see little gems like NEO Scavenger and the recent Titan Quest so high up.

Doesn't change the fact that they missed/ignored a ton of great RPG's, eg. Underrail, Age of Decadence, all Wizardries, Grimoire...

Thunar

Educated
Doesn't change the fact that they missed/ignored a ton of great RPG's, eg. Underrail, Age of Decadence, all Wizardries, Grimoire...

If you guys are expecting Age of Decadence and Grimoire to be on this type of list, ya'll need to go out more. Can't ask a mainstream website to fill in the shoes of the niche Codex.
It's a list that's not terrible, the order's weird and Skyrim's there, but no one's been making lists in any meaningful order or devoid of mainstream game award nonsense since "Top 10s" became as lucrative as they are.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
If they have NEO Scavenger and even Titan Quest, they can certainly have Underrail, Age of Decadence or Wizardry 7/8.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Atleast they removed Final Fantasy 8 from it, I remember them praising FF8 for something or the other. I tortured a cockroach that day.

Better Final Fantasy 8 than 10. Better any Final Fantasy game before 10. But when it comes down to it no Final Fantasy game should be on that list.

Thunar

Educated
NEO scavenger and brogue are pretty popular roguelikes on the top of every list of that genre.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
One thing to note: the attitude of the game "press" towards Kingmaker is disgusting, they act like as if the game didn't exist. All they know is that it was buggy. I suspect most failed to get past Oleg's Trading Post on easiest difficulty - notice how all reviews use promo stock screenshots. Funny to witness the disparity between "gaming experts" herd mentality/laziness and people's actual opinions in the comments.

Because the "press" is just a bunch of racists. Considering how RPS treated KCD and Kingmaker, I'd say they suffer from a very strong anti-slavic sentiment. Disco Elysium only got on the list because Estonians are not slavs. Still, it didn't get the RPS Bestest Best seal...

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I liked D:OS 2 when I originally played it, but -- among other picks -- it's absolutely insane to claim it's #1, in retrospect. It's inferior to the first game and the fundamentally broken combat system and itemization remain the largest, yet unheeded, warning signs of similarly idiotic designs showing up in Baldur's Gate III.

Harthwain

Magister
Considering how RPS treated KCD and Kingmaker, I'd say they suffer from a very strong anti-slavic sentiment.
The Witcher 2 and The Witcher 3 are both on that list, so I doubt it's anti-slavic sentiment. More like both Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Kingmaker are challenging games, each in their own way.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Considering how RPS treated KCD and Kingmaker, I'd say they suffer from a very strong anti-slavic sentiment.
The Witcher 2 and The Witcher 3 are both on that list, so I doubt it's anti-slavic sentiment. More like both Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Kingmaker are challenging games, each in their own way.

Dwarvophile started the sentence off right way, but fumbled the ending. It's not an anti-Slavic agenda, merely Social Justice: They wouldn't feature KCD, because they wouldn't want their list of RPGs to somehow "enable" Dan Vavra.

With P:K it's probably just that the game was a buggy mess originally and no one returned to it since.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist

Mann! I really need to level up in "sowing discord".

Razzoriel

Genos Studios
Developer

Dwarvophile started the sentence off right way, but fumbled the ending. It's not an anti-Slavic agenda, merely Social Justice: They wouldn't feature KCD, because they wouldn't want their list of RPGs to somehow "enable" Dan Vavra.

With P:K it's probably just that the game was a buggy mess originally and no one returned to it since.
I was going to make a comment on the substance of the games not being listed, but

>dat avatar

It makes me sad and remember that I'm still waiting for ~20 years my Lords of Magic 2 continuation.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
>dat avatar

It makes me sad and remember that I'm still waiting for ~20 years my Lords of Magic 2 continuation.

Yeah, it's a throwback for me as well. The Polymorph Self/Other spells really captured my imagination as a kid (I was 8 or 9, don't exactly remember).

Silly Germans

Here's is one of my favorite lists, may it soothe your mind and stimulate your salvia production

1x can of kidney beans
1x can of chili beans in tomato sauce
1x can of chopped tomatoes
1x tablespoon of cumin
1x tablespoon of honey
1x teaspoon of salt
1x teaspoon of oregano
1x tablespoon pepper
500g minced beef
1x teaspoon of chili
3x large onions
5x cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon of soy sauce
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of coriander

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
and even Titan Quest,
was pretty popular lol,it was not a niche game.

You're right actually, confused it with Titan Outpost, which is like a super-niche game that is at #7 on our GOTY 2019.

Looks good though:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/944180/Titan_Outpost/
It is fucking great,the UI is horrible,the camera is nightmareish,it has more bugs than skyrim.....but in the end it is one of the best RPGs from the last year. It has the soul of old games,the same thing that makes you replay 20 year old games even if the UI is outdated and it looks like 5 pixels having an orgy. I would highly recommend it to any real fan of RPGs!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom