Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Cyber Knights: Flashpoint is the latest tactical RPG from the Trese Brothers, now on Kickstarter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Cyber Knights: Flashpoint; Trese Brothers

Cory and Andrew Trese AKA the Trese Brothers have been creating various flavors of tactical RPG since 2010. They started out small on mobile platforms and have slowly worked their way up the evolutionary chain with ever more elaborate and PC-centric titles. Their first game to really make an impression on us was 2018's Star Traders: Frontiers, but Cyber Knights: Flashpoint looks like it's on an entirely different level. As you might guess it's a tactical cyberpunk mercenary type game, and a distant followup to the original Cyber Knights mobile RPG. As with Star Traders: Frontiers, Cory and Andrew have decided to gather some additional funding for its development on Kickstarter. Here's the pitch video and description from the game's Steam page:

Explore the dystopian cyberpunk future of 2231 as you command a company of shadow mercenaries working for the highest bidder. Cyber Knights wraps a world full of consequential story choices and significant character development around a rich core of classic and new mechanics. The game combines tactical elements like stealth, hacking and tense combat with strategic features like base building, contact management and in-depth squad customization. Cyber Knights invites you to jack in and explore a unique cyberpunk world and the immersive, human stories of your merc team in the dark future of 2231.

Gameplay
  • Turn-based Tactics: Deep and tactical gameplay using a turn-based, gridless third-person combat simulator. Cover! Overwatch! Recoil!
  • Dynamic Cyberpunk Story: Unique interwoven narrative with depth, meaningful player choices and hundreds of hours of gameplay
  • Sophisticated Missions: Combine stealth, hacking and combat across multi-stage missions. Gain pre-mission advantages from Contacts
  • Endless of Builds: Experiment with endless combos of Jobs, cyberware, weapons and gadgets to build the perfect team
  • Evolving Characters: Your team evolves as the story, your choices and battle leave lasting wounds, add Traits and threaten to strip their humanity
  • Safehouse Base Building: Construct a custom safehouse and upgrade rooms such as weapon shop, hund kennel and medical bay.
Threaded Story

Cyber Knights strikes a unique tone with a futuristic setting that has passed through the messy near-future to arrive at dystopian 2231. Man-made environmental disasters have ravaged our biosphere. Artificial consciousness has been created, subsequently murdered, and then strictly outlawed at a global level. Megacorporate colonies and research stations dot the solar system from Venus to Jupiter. Quantum computing has radically altered the digital landscape and the very meaning of privacy and digital security.

The game's threaded stories originate from both inside and outside your team -- weaving together threads from your hired mercenaries, criminal connections and history that just won’t die. These stories operate on three interconnected and at times overlapping levels -- personal stories (your team), contact stories (your employers) and event stories (city-wide).

And every choice you make and mission you run will impact your character's permanent Traits, changing them in both subtle and big ways. Their stories and your choices combine to create a unique narrative for every game, every Knight and every team.

The Trese Brothers aim to raise $50k for Cyber Knights: Flashpoint and they're well on their way to reaching that goal. You can secure a copy of the game for as little as $15. The estimated delivery date is March 2021.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
STF got funded shortly before the end of the campaign. Looks like this will reach its goal on the first day.

They sure acquired plenty of support in the last couple of years.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
STF got funded shortly before the end of the campaign. Looks like this will reach its goal on the first day.

They sure aquired plenty of support in the last couple of years.

That and the game looks legit impressive. This is going to bust past the usual Kickstarter $100k easily.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
That's probably the most professional pitch video I've seen made by an indie developer. It helps that the aura of competence they project is backed by their track record. Probably won't back this (it just makes more sense for me to enjoy the regional pricing on Steam later), but am considering buying Star Traders now.

cw8

Cipher
Nice, they actually got a small studio going on now. I always thought it's just the 2 of them creating everything since their mobile game days.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Wait is this related to this gem?
iu

While the mechanics sound somewhat interesting, and the studio has a decent record, the visuals are fucking atrocious. Like a low budget Overwatch wannabe.
I was about to say that. The UI and graphics look like they're designed for an easy mobile port in mind. It makes me worry for the level of depth and complexity for this game. As we saw with Phoenix Point, you design for your lowest common denominator. That game burned me to the point I'm wary of backing any kickstarter now for fear of scope and feature reduction.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Backed it on the first day.
They always struck me as very competent and their games received a lot of post launch support, overhauls, additional content, etc.
Was a no-brainer for me :)

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Backed it as well, the newly revealed stretch goals don’t strike me as being particular interesting other then the story addition and drones but I guess it’s better to keep your ambitions grounded then promising the moon and falling short.

Besides if their past games are anything to go by, they will keep adding content well past the release date.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Fair play to them for the pitch, but this kind of 'cyber tactical' neo-XCOM aesthetic is getting tiresome, it's everywhere right now.

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
Damn, that looks good! Much better than most video games Kickstarter out there at least. And only $15 for the game? That's pretty nice.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I've pledged, looks definitely worth 15$ (plus it reminds me Colony Ship Game which demo is already out and is superb).

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The thing already made more money in a day than the STF KS during its whole run, and with fewer backers (so far, obviously), meaning people are willing to spend more money.

+_066fb3ee131beb9aed6088300e75b326.png

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
While the mechanics sound somewhat interesting, and the studio has a decent record, the visuals are fucking atrocious. Like a low budget Overwatch wannabe.
I was about to say that. The UI and graphics look like they're designed for an easy mobile port in mind. It makes me worry for the level of depth and complexity for this game. As we saw with Phoenix Point, you design for your lowest common denominator. That game burned me to the point I'm wary of backing any kickstarter now for fear of scope and feature reduction.

Well, they told the game will be ported to mobile once it's been released on PC. At least they're upfront about it.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Actually, their mobile games usually have far greater complexiy than a lot of PC only RPG or tactical games, so I don't think it is a problem. The latest two (Templar Battleforce and Star Traders: Frontiers) may exist on mobile, and may have some issues, but lack of scope is certainly not a problem they have.

oasis789

Arcane
Actually, their mobile games usually have far greater complexiy than a lot of PC only RPG or tactical games, so I don't think it is a problem. The latest two (Templar Battleforce and Star Traders: Frontiers) may exist on mobile, and may have some issues, but lack of scope is certainly not a problem they have.

True. From the kickstarter description, Cyber Knights will have the same NPC system as Star Traders Frontiers, where every NPC has procgen traits and resources that determine what actions they take in the background, which ends up influencing your missions, faction conflicts, the economy etc. STF practically plays itself even if you don't do anything. And if you do act, it doesn't always end up being a good thing, like if you did a mission for someone that was actually a traitor and screwed things up for the faction you're in. I've always thought Trese had the most "living world" reactive simulation, almost like a Dwarf Fortress. Thus IMO Cyber Knights takes the very best parts of STF (the strategic simulation) and Templar (the tactical combat) for a winning combination. This could be their best game. Compare this to Battle Brothers, where the tactical layer is top notch, but the game world is mostly static, stuff happens because of RNG, and there's very limited interaction with what's going on.

Highly recommend backing this one if you're on the fence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom