Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torchlight III (formerly Torchlight Frontiers)

That was the mistake of Hellgate: London that ended up hurting it so much. Those kinds of abstracted for isometric systems done work in first or third person when you also give the playing an aiming reticle, free aiming movement like a modern FPS, and direct control of the character. It should have had a lock-on system for ranged attacks, so you're brain isn't thinking about it funtioning like a FPS but not working like one. It just doesn't feel right when you put your aiming reticle on something, fire, and then don't hit the thing it was clearly on. It's like it's taking how you know video games should work and then telling you it's wrong.
Nah, you're wrong.
That kind of aiming worked just fine in Morrowind or Daggerfall (IIRC), for example.
It's simply RPG-combat instead of action combat.
It is fine with first person perspective and requires no changing - though certainly a better explanation would have been welcome. I can see how some would have been initially confused by it.

The mistakes of Hellgate: London have been discussed to death by now. The tl;dr: is that the game was killed by its catastrophic launch, ludicrous business/subscription scheme, technical problems and devs went broke so soon they could barely push out content and patches. Basically everything around the game was botched, but not the core gameplay.

It was shit in Morrowind. Although Hellgate does it way better than Morrowind from what I remember of Hellgate when it came out. That kind of RPG rules abstraction from isometric games doesn't work within a modern FPS system which is far less abstract. It just all feels off, because they're two totally opposite systems. If you're putting that stuff into a first person view, and you're giving the player FPS controls, you're better off having a bunch of stats govern a number of facets about your aiming reticle functions, and having different animations giving the player information like when you aim too long in Thief and your bow (and aim) start to sway. I'm not however saying a first person view can't work.

If your aim doesn't actually enter into the equation of hitting or not hitting something in the game then there's no reason to have a aiming reticle or even give the player manual control over their aim. Giving the player those thing tells their brain shit is going to work like a FPS, because that's how FPS almost all work, but then then actual game's systems are something totally different.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If your aim doesn't actually enter into the equation of hitting or not hitting something in the game then there's no reason to have a aiming reticle or even give the player manual control over their aim. Giving the player those thing tells their brain shit is going to work like a FPS, because that's how FPS almost all work, but then then actual game's systems are something totally different.
I'm sorry if your brain function is so limited it cannot comprehend RPG combat from first person perspective. You thoroughly confuse first person perspective with first person shooters.
You are not the only one with this problem, rest assured.

I and others who enjoy Morrowind combat do not have this limitation.
And I actually prefer it over the alternative. In RPGs, anyway.

That said, it would actually be extremely simple to switch between both modes.
At least in in single player.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
z3gSC12.png

schaefers108ed_40d3be2f-32ef-438c-a25e-5ac024dee956_550x.jpg

circuit breaker

Educated
Not sure about this one.

I really enjoyed Torchlight 1. 2 was competent, but wasn't as much fun, for some reason.

I wonder how well they will execute on pivoting TL3 back from an MMORPG to a single-player RPG.

abija

Prophet
Torchlight 2 was a perfect foundation to expand upon but that would require trying and giving a shit about your product...

Farewell into the night

I haven't played Torchlights that much, but I applaud devs for their attitude and shift from the mmo and dlc territory. This is amazing.

Latelistener

Arcane
No matter how good or bad Hellgate was, it started the whole shlooter thing, i.e. Borderlands and its successors. Essentially those guys got it right, but it flopped for various reasons. Although there was a fan server somewhere, which means it's not entirely forgotten.

Borderlands started development in 2005, a couple years before Hellgate London came out. I'm not sure how much Hellgate ever really figured into the equation of that game, although their previous game Diablo was a huge inspiration on it. There was lots of Diablo talk back when they first showed it off, before it went away and came back looking cartoony.

Doesn't seem like there's any reason he wouldn't still be on it. Doesn't look like they're totally scrapping Frontiers, so it would be odd if they did that to stuff he'd already done for it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Servers are apparently sketchy and it's online-only for the duration of Early Access so they can get bug reports. Will wait until full release which seems to be slated for another month or two. They also said the price will go up after Early Access so maybe from $30 to $40.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The game is also retty dumbed down it seems? Skill trees are simplified, enemies are slow, no fishing etc.

It would seem they are not making enough changes from the time they were trying to make a f2p game

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
The game is also retty dumbed down it seems? Skill trees are simplified, enemies are slow, no fishing etc.

It would seem they are not making enough changes from the time they were trying to make a f2p game

I am mentally challenged from having to select from 2 skill trees, how do you expect people to deal with more than that? We need to have 1 skill the entire game, and then maybe some of us wont be as mentally challenged from that!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Early signs are definitely not good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom