Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION - isometric post-apocalyptic adventure from STASIS developer

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
UPDATE #39 is online with launch trailer

Three years ago we came to you with an idea for an adventure game. You saw the potential in BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION and joined us in making it a reality.

Enjoy the 2020 trailer below!

YOUTUBE DIRECT LINK

ac97a6a8fd0a1cc2832ff19a13157161_original.jpg

3d73eb29355c94915e1c1dff871e3c47_original.jpg

b64801f8f3dd9d27434e10cf8de7f76c_original.jpg

9b467edc197a08bd2b40f79e5fd5321e_original.jpg

GOG has joined us as a DRM-free partner (Backers, don't forget to fill in your backer survey to make your choice).

You can wish-list on GOG here;

https://af.gog.com/game/beautiful_desolation?as=1649904300

Our Steam page is here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/912570/BEAUTIFUL_DESOLATION/

Soon...
These extra two months grace from our planned release date has resulted in a huge amount of additional content and polish. We know it will be well worth it! Thank you for your patience.

We are aiming for an end of February launch (isn't that exciting?!), although this entirely depends on any show-stopping bugs that may pop up. Rest assured though, we've already had our internal testers complete the game - and are personally testing it to the limits in studio.

Backer Survey
If you haven't yet, please check your email/inbox for a backer survey. We need your name for the credits. This will only be open for one more week.

P.S - BETA BACKERS, CHECK YOUR EMAIL!
49fb102ce76b3188b2949e8cbbdc2ec7_original.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I have absolutely no fucking idea whats going on in this trailer, but I'm loving it, and I know I want to play it so badly that I can taste it.

That's how the fuck you roll, Chris.

Immensly hyped for later this month!

Tigranes

Arcane
My god, this brilliant, brilliant looking game with unparalleled environments and mindblowing cutscenes and-

...and... and... browser game UI?

OK nevertheless Stasis was good and really happy you guys finished another game

:d1p:

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Got my Beta key. Thank you.

Edit: First impressions.

The game looks outstanding. The atmosphere is just right and I look forward to the final release.

That being said, I don't understand 2 things:
1) The highlight interface drives me nuts. Proposal: let me press a key and read all the descriptions at once.
2) Please use the standard 'X' for closing windows. Also be consistent: close window button should always be in the same part of the window.

Those are good ideas! I'm sure we can implement them. BTW, ESCAPE will also quit all windows.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Why is it in grpg? The authors themselves stated the game is not a rpg. There will be some c&c, but no character creation and/or growth. It's an action-adventure.

Oh, I dont look at other subforums, so I had no idea this thread existed. :oops:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Any chance this might run at its lowest settings on an onboard gpu?
:desu:
Gosh, it looks fantastic.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Any chance this might run at its lowest settings on an onboard gpu?
:desu:
Gosh, it looks fantastic.

We haven't tested with an onboard GPU, but you can turn off all accelerated settings, particles, screen effects, and we have a lot of settings like lower res textures and animations to get it to run on a variety of machines.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Got my Beta key. Thank you.

Edit: First impressions.

The game looks outstanding. The atmosphere is just right and I look forward to the final release.

That being said, I don't understand 2 things:
1) The highlight interface drives me nuts. Proposal: let me press a key and read all the descriptions at once.
2) Please use the standard 'X' for closing windows. Also be consistent: close window button should always be in the same part of the window.

cgIWJm9.png

We're gonna wait until some more things get sorted before pushing the update, but if you press SPACE all of the descriptions will pop up. They will close as you move from them, or press SPACE again.

lightbane

Arcane
Alright, I got some free time and Internet, so I decided to do what a responsible person would do and play the demo immediately. First impression: IT LOOKS AWESOME! Even better: The Fallout dialogue screen is back!

However, is there a way to speed-up or outright cancel the "opening menu" animations? Especially the paused menu one. The "starting up" PDA one is also one that there should be an option to skip it. Life is too short and I cannot waste time watching menus open! Another thing: A pop-up with a description of a non-interactive item shows up a few seconds after highlighting it, but it doesn't seem to fade out on its own. Oddly enough, items you can grab lack said pop-up, for good or bad. They're still quite visibly, which it helps because even though the graphics are gorgeous, your character looks tiny. The achievement menu is also lolz, with some unsubtle references. Lastly, is there a way to name your saved games?

Minor nitpicking so far, I know, but I didn't play much yet.
Can I share my screenshots then? I wish to show the glory of well-written Wakanda Beautiful Desolation.

Here there are some screenies to show my comments and minor issues so far.

27C3E07BA8489D7307739ECF1E0749318F36B864

04CF38D87C2C7132CB3A613D53984AFD227F280A

Does the beta include the endgame? I doubt it so, but just to confirm, in case if I'm better waiting until the game is "officially" out.
Finally, did you check that Unity video that looks awesome, but it's all style over substance?

Last edited:

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Alright, I got some free time and Internet, so I decided to do what a responsible person would do and play the demo immediately. First impression: IT LOOKS AWESOME! Even better: The Fallout dialogue screen is back!

However, is there a way to speed-up or outright cancel the "opening menu" animations? Especially the paused menu one. The "starting up" PDA one is also one that there should be an option to skip it. Life is too short and I cannot waste time watching menus open! Another thing: A pop-up with a description of a non-interactive item shows up a few seconds after highlighting it, but it doesn't seem to fade out on its own. Oddly enough, items you can grab lack said pop-up, for good or bad. They're still quite visibly, which it helps because even though the graphics are gorgeous, your character looks tiny. The achievement menu is also lolz, with some unsubtle references. Lastly, is there a way to name your saved games?

Minor nitpicking so far, I know, but I didn't play much yet.
Can I share my screenshots then? I wish to show the glory of well-written Wakanda Beautiful Desolation.

Here there are some screenies to show my comments and minor issues so far.

27C3E07BA8489D7307739ECF1E0749318F36B864

04CF38D87C2C7132CB3A613D53984AFD227F280A

Does the beta include the endgame? I doubt it so, but just to confirm, in case if I'm better waiting until the game is "officially" out.
Lastly, did you check that Unity video that looks awesome, but it's all style over substance?

So glad you're enjoying it!

Please feel free to share screenshots or videos, or hell, feel free to stream the game. :D I think maybe put them in Spoiler tags here so people won't... well... be spoiled, but yeah - go wild!

The Beta ends at around a third of the game. When you start getting 'You can't access here' maps, you've hit the wall of the Beta.

The combat IS in the Beta - and you'll unlock it close to the end, so even if you start getting those popups, you can still carry on playing and giving the combat a try.

We can't promise that your current save will work with the final release. It probably will, but if we change some orders or some values they may conflict with those saves.

The labels fade out as you move away from them. We had them fading out on a timer, but the testers didn't like that they may have been mid sentence as it faded. If you move to another label, the one you currently have open will close, and the new one will open. It's been a tricky system to get right - I'm sure we can keep massaging it to get it perfect!

Naming file saves... I did have that on a list a while back. I'll check with Nic if it is possible.

Ill also ask about the tweening and speed of the menu's - again, the systems are all being constantly tweaked and changed to get the smoothest experience possible!

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
As for that Unity video - yeah. :/
I really wish they would make small vertical slices of games as game demos. Like take a popular game, and recreate an awesome mechanic from it. Their artists are phenomenal, but honestly hardly anyone uses Unity for its rendering engine. Even I've looked at using UNREAL as a renderer in the future (for my animation stuff, not as a game engine).

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Got my beta key, thanks alot! But not any link to a backer survey, nor did mail/inbox hold it.

Where'd I find it, Pyke? Do I have to equip the
thering.png
?

Could you please send me a new one? Or anyways, I prefer the game on GoG, if that's the relevant survey item/question.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom