Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warcraft III: Reforged - now with lowest user metacritic score of all time

Harthwain

Magister
How dare black people fight for nazi german.
So did thousands of "full Jews" (Mischlinge). I am sure it will be a worthy addition to the next game!

Dexter

Arcane
Unsurprising. Blizzard fans are famous for their emotional maturity, sense of perspective and sound judgement.
Sheltered Momma's boy learns that game from 2002 that had map Editor offering absolute freedom, with people hosting their own maps and facilitating the downloads at the start of a game, that has led to untold amount of creativity and sparked several game genres now worth billions and millions of $ also contained some "controversial content", is very surprised.

This video posted a few pages back is probably some of the milder stuff that can still be shown on YouTube:

I think they're taking the wrong approach though. They should all be making Star Wars™ and Mickey Mouse® maps and let Activision and Disney fight it out.

Farewell into the night

I'm wondering what they will do with this crap now.
Will they try to fix it?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sheltered Momma's boy

Dude, whenever I lay into Kwan manbabies being obsessed with their childhood entertainment deep into their 40s you're usually the first one to get all butthurt and go on an emote rampage.

And YOU - probably a fatboy neckbeard sitting at your greasy PC surrounded by plastic Star Wars figurines nad plushy My Little Ponies - are calling ME a sheltered Momma's boy. Goddamn Americans :lol:

Dexter

Arcane
Yes, your Epic rants about the "Evils of Mario" and how you only make sure that you like "adult entertainment for adults" make you seem very mature indeed.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Uther Party was pretty fun. I spent an incredible amount of hours playing a French version of Murder at the Mansion that was hilarious. With a little micromanagement skill obtained from regular matches you could obliterate all the innocents in no time. :thumbsup:

Harthwain

Magister
What I don't get is why mocking Blizzard's attempt to lay their hand on other people's creative work without even having to acknowledge their creativity somehow lacks "emotional maturity", "sense of perspective" and "sound judgement". If anything I think it shows the opposite, because it takes some measure of awareness to laugh at them in such a creative way (which Activision-Blizzard is welcome to appropriate, of course!).

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
qkvsb3wzvxe41.png

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
To be honest I stopped caring about Blizzard when I saw just how bad Diablo 3 was. I bought StarCraft 2 (and enjoyed it) but haven't bought any of the expansions. Haven't bought any of their games since, even the StarCraft remaster.

Farewell into the night

To be honest I stopped caring about Blizzard when I saw just how bad Diablo 3 was. I bought StarCraft 2 (and enjoyed it) but haven't bought any of the expansions. Haven't bought any of their games since, even the StarCraft remaster.

Do you feel the same about Fallout 3?

Demo.Graph

Arbiter
Uh. Lots of people in this thread seem to be talking about this game in the context of some Great Cultural And Moral Decline Of Gaming, but this isn't some misguided creative effort by radicals. It's just a failed cashgrab, the likes of which have existed since the beginning of video games.
More like since the beginning of humanity. But it’s not just Blizzard.
You made me think for a bit so I deem you responsible for the wall of text that follows.
I'm Russian, but a major part of my cultural code is formed by American (or Anglosphere, to be more precise) media. I have great memories of entertainment that pleased and inspired me. Games and movies and music and literature. But lately I got a bit too many disappointments from entertainment sources that I got accustomed to during my childhood, teens and early adulthood.

So, what about games I liked before?
Everything Blizzard is raped by Chinese Actards. HoMM went extinct. Fallout and TES are shat upon by Bethesda. Total War series can’t be seriously played anymore without total conversion mods, like Europa Barbarorum. Civs after 4 are wankery. Paradox is shovelware. “Classic RPG revival” is meh incarnate. nuThief is a disgrace.
The only game series I still care about is Dominions and it’s made by basically two people.
I try to find new games I could like, but almost all of them are disappointing somehow. Darkest Dungeon doesn’t allow me to speed things up or skip animations. Same goes for Cultist Sim. Anno, Foundation and Dawn of Man are uninspired samefaggotry. Frostpunk, a game with a map area of 10 square meters, lagged and crashed on me. Void Bastards are forgettable (had to actually google the name), just like Borderlands. Subnautica fell apart after something like 6 hours of gameplay. Battle Brothers is a tactics without terrain. Disco Elysium is a zoomer logorrhea.
Pathologic remake is okay, but it’s Russian and a remake. AoE is a remake. Into the Breach is but a puzzle, even though it’s nice.
The latest games I did enjoy are KSP, Factorio and Rimworld. Note the similarity: they’re sandboxes, electronic lego grindfests I play as I like, without plot or characters or anything resembling art that's not introduced by me or fellow players. And they’re made by microcompanies not representative of gaming industry as a whole.
I’ve also liked The Witness and it’s also plotless.

My disappointment is not limited to games.
Among movies, again, only occasionally am I able to find anything that would interest me that was filmed during last several years. The Vice, The Wife, The Martian, Bohemian Rhapsody... The decline is much more prevalent. Superhero movies are strait out of chinese clonefarm. Lion King remake got blacked with nigger Simba. Star Trek is dumbed down. The last Star Wars movies were made 37 years ago (even though I like Mr Plinkett’s fanfics). I can easily watch old movies, some of which were made long before I was born, dozens of them, just not modern ones.
Then I turn to the music and turn it off, because the majority of musicians and singers I like are either dead or nameless synthwave-electro-trance-step composers or single-shot youtube remixers or sing in opera or called Lizzy Hale.
Books... Suffice it to say that most books I read are more than 30 years old. I’ve recently began reading The Wealth of Nations (which I bought in Latvia for mere 4 euros, in a discount corner with Plato and Shakespear, because obviously it’s a barbaric country that has no interest in classic literature).

In most parts of service sector of economy I turn to I see decline.
Software? Even fucking Win10 is an abortion. Spying, internet shop in an Office interface and no customization of the Start button are the things I just begin to fuel my rage with. And to think that those bloody hindu MS shillers even tried to force me to move to Win10 from my prestigious Win7!
Politics? American city upon a hill? After recent wars it looks more like a High Castle. And all I’ve heard from American mass media for the last several years was nigger faggotry, sjw drama and stupid memes. All I see in their economy is an endless debt multiplication and prestige-based income redistribution, iPhone style. Sad! During Cold war they used to have quality cultural propaganda.
EU is more like SU mk2. I remember a bit of mk1, just enough to see where it all goes. At least they still write good music, keep good books and make decent consumer goods.

I reread all of the above. It really wasn't my intention to sound like a salty old boomer. Because, firstly, I’m a millenial. Secondly, I manage to live an okayish life in top 10% or 15% income strata of my country. And, lastly, I manage to entertain myself with new knowledge, work and media almost every day.

I simply counted a bit and came to a conclusion that most media I consider good was made long time ago. And gaming, yes, in my opinion is in decline. Just like a major part of western cultural medium.
And when I see that goddamn Blizzard, that used to make quality shit, makes common shit, it reinforces this conclusion and I become disappointed and rant in the internetz.
tl;dr I rant indeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom