Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rock-Paper-Shotgun Top 50 RPGs on PC

lophiaspis

Arbiter
In regard the guys that defend this list as "not so bad for mainstream media", no, there was a true decline even by "mainstream media standards". 2020 list was a massive decline and the WORST list Rock Paper shotgun ever published:

Compare with their 2015 list:

1. Dark Souls
  2. Planescape: Torment
  3. Baldur’s Gate 2
  4. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  5. Utima VII
  6. Deus Ex
  7. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  8. System Shock 2
  9. FTL: Faster Than Light
  10. Fallout
  11. Dragon Age: Origins
  12. Divinity: Original Sin
  13. Legend of Grimrock II
  14. Ultima Underworld II
  15. Dwarf Fortress
  16. Mass Effect 2
  17. Pillars of Eternity
  18. Zanbgand
  19. Vampire: Bloodlines
  20. NEO Scavenger
  21. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  22. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  23. Anachranox
  24. Fallout: New Vegas
  25. Avernum: Escape From The Pit
  26. UnReal World
  27. Din’s Curse
  28. ADOM
  29. Sunless Sea
  30. The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
  31. The Banner Saga
  32. Titan Quest
  33. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  34. Darkest Dungeon
  35. Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
  36. Shadowrun Dragonfall Director’s Cut
  37. Wasteland 2
  38. Wizardry VIII
  39. Betrayal at Krondor
  40. Darklands
  41. Eye of the Beholder
  42. Brogue
  43. Torchlight 2
  44. Pool of Radiance
  45. Space Rangers 2
  46. Recettear: An Item’s Shop Tale
  47. Diablo II
  48. Risen
  49. Dungeon Master
  50. Hand of Fate

In 2015 list wasn't a jrpg invasion and they included Pool of Radiance, Betrayal at Krondor, Daggerfall, Unreal World, Ultima Underworld II, Darklands or Dungeon Master. Also Diablo II instead III, Morrowind & Daggerfall over Skyirim, Fallout or Deus Ex over Mass Effect 2, etc.

RPS 2015 list was actually good for mainstream media, this new one is extremely bad.

This is what happens when the Codexian demographic gets deplatformed. In 5 years this will be the new normal when talking about PC RPGs. In 10 years this will be the new stodgy. Fallout and Baldur’s Gate will die and be forgotten like blues and jazz. Torment will linger a while in the memory thanks to its art-game poser cachet, but a few more problematic statements by MCA is all it would take for Torment, too, to be purged and forgotten.

Harthwain

Magister
LoL butthurt retard,witcher 3 is 10 times better RPG than that shitty whanabe gothic clone lol.
"Better RPG"? You thought I was using Dark Souls as an example of RPG?! You dumb fuck, I will quote you:

The Witcher 3
Could deliver a challenge if you are up for it,the game is not easy on higher difficulties.
What kind of fucking "challenge" could higher difficulty of The Witcher 3 provide, you demented drunk?

• Just the Story (Easy): Enemies have -50% health, deal a normal amount of damage.
  • Sword and Story (Normal): Enemies have 10% more health, deal 40% more damage.
  • Blood and Broken Bones (Hard): Enemies have 20% more health, deal 130% more damage.
  • Death March (Insane): Enemies have 80% more health, deal 230% more damage.
It's 100% about combat, so I brought combat from Dark Souls as an example. Simple as that.

On other hand Gothic 2 is 10 times better than witcher 3,but you don't know that because you haven't played either of them.
:nocountryforshitposters:

In a wide variety of RPG-type game, the answer is always the same, anyway: You start as a complete schlub who can't even pick up a proper sword and level up to become a demi-god. That's why even when you start as the "strong" character, your stats are utterly insufficient to even wield most of the weapons and armor in the game unless you level it up.
I don't quite agree with that.

If you pick up a class at the beginning, then that class is going to very strongly define what you are capable of. If you don't have a class, then you're most likely going with stats as a determinant, so having more stats in one area in the beginning is going to predisposition you towards some roles and not others, which is going to impact the way you play from that point on. Whereas in a game like Gothic you can decide to go with the flow and work toward a goal in any way you see fit, which has its own strengths.

Gothic alone brings the whole argument down.

I'd rather say that games with no "proper" character system are not RPGs, but that is vague way of saying it. You need something to define how strong/weak you are, both physically and mentally, because that will determine what you can and can't do. What do you know and don't know? (Can you read? Do you know languages? etc.) What determines your role and place in the world? That's the stuff.
The only Gothic I didn't play was 3 (and Arcania), because I heard it was crap and didn't want to test that claim on my own.

The fuck are you doing here ignorant faggot,got kicked out from reddit for microaggressions?!
Butthurt much, you homo not sapiens?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
JRPGs are doing super well on PC now if Steam is any indication, and most gaming "journalists" grew up on consoles, so it's no surprise there's a bunch of JRPGs added to the list. I'd guess that'll get more and more common as the years go by.

They're really two separate genres IMO.

Silly Germans

Here's is one of my favorite lists, may it soothe your mind and stimulate your salvia production

1x can of kidney beans
1x can of chili beans in tomato sauce
1x can of chopped tomatoes
1x tablespoon of cumin
1x tablespoon of honey
1x teaspoon of salt
1x teaspoon of oregano
1x tablespoon pepper
500g minced beef
1x teaspoon of chili
3x large onions
5x cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon of soy sauce
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of coriander

Yes, you are free to add a dash of dance and sliver of song if it suits your tastes.
But don't overdo it; a mistake that many make.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Strange to see Legend of Grimrock II in a rather decent mid-field spot when there's no Wizardry or Might and Magic to be found at all. Also strange to see the newer Final Fantasy games, yet none of the classics.
The new list contains a whopping three games released before the year 2000, which explains most (though not all) of its failings. Videogame journalists possess a puddle-deep knowledge of the medium they write about. :M

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Videogame journalists possess a puddle-deep knowledge of the medium they write about. :M

The funny thing is, there is barely any commentary in the "publication." It's just a list and there are not even any pics. And that list is specifically designed to main Google rankings against commercial competitors and lone wolves who are getting stronger, because they exhibit genuine erudition on the subject.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
At this point I feel like we need to just pick a new name to call RPGs since all these basic bitches stole and butchered it. Since when is mass effect considered an rpg? And that's not even the worst one on the list.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
At this point I feel like we need to just pick a new name to call RPGs since all these basic bitches stole and butchered it.
It's a pity Gary Gygax didn't create a better genre name for describing Dungeons & Dragons, but at this point we've been calling it an RPG for 46 years, and it's everyone else who should conform.

9DfDJev.gif

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
At this point I feel like we need to just pick a new name to call RPGs since all these basic bitches stole and butchered it.
It's a pity Gary Gygax didn't create a better genre name for describing Dungeons & Dragons, but at this point we've been calling it an RPG for 46 years, and it's everyone else who should conform.

Do you really expect these people who don't even know they're part of the problem to fix themselves? I swear I saw people on Reddit arguing whether the witcher or Skyrim was more of an rpg than the other.

Gibson

Learned
why would you even go on RPS - don't you feel bad for your own brain?

let he retards have their own bubble and stay far away from it; just a glance can cause a severe drop in ones IQ...be warned!

Gibson

Learned
Why do people get the same avatars? Aren't there enough to choose from?

Gibson Curious_Tongue

because I've had randy as my avatar since forever on all the PCs i've owned because he's my fav tv char ever (and I'm a geologist myself).
but tbh when I firs saw that C_T also has Randy as his avatar I actually wanted to just go with "no avatar" (or a default codex troll) but I can't see the option anymore; and i'm really to lazy for shit like choosing another avatar.

Can a higher power in form of a mod/admin reading this, set my avatar as a default/no avatar?
lady Hitler herself is annoyed, that's reason enough for a higher intervention I believe.
please and thank you.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Can a higher power in form of a mod/admin reading this, set my avatar as a default/no avatar?

When you go to Personal Details and click on the avatar, there is an option to “delete“ it, which I think gives you the default avatar again.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
why would you even go on RPS - don't you feel bad for your own brain?

let he retards have their own bubble and stay far away from it; just a glance can cause a severe drop in ones IQ...be warned!

I tried to educate them and they just called me a gatekeeper. Since when is Gate keeping not a valid profession? I would rather Gate keep something that actually matters like the rpg genre than something useless like a politicians front door.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Diablo 3 in that list. WTF? And WoW too...

Even survival games has more RPG on it than Diablo 3 and WoW

The success of D:OS2 still makes me so butthurt. It's infuriating seeing this agent of decline being thought of and praised as "prestigious" by mainstream media and players.

DOS2 is too boring. Too much similar to a wow clone in itemization and the cooldowns are AWFUL. Triggers me when a retarded refers to it as "modern baldur's gate"...

The list should have been made out of 30 Pokemon games and 20 walking simulators. . What do you expect from Rock/Paper/Shotgun?

Envoyé de mon EML-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Reality

Learned
Compared to their FPS list and Strategy list this doesn't cause me as much pain.

If I had made my own list of best rpgs:

1: The racing game with Welcome to Paradise City as the soundtrack.
2: Jet-set Willy
3: Below the root (well perhaps not Below the roor for I genuinely love this game)
3: Atic Atac
4: Bus Simulator
5: GI Joe (on the C64)

Envoyé de mon EML-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Gibson

Learned
When you go to Personal Details and click on the avatar, there is an option to “delete“ it, which I think gives you the default avatar again.

I tried that, but I (literally) can't.
Proof (so I don't get called Fake News):
asf.png

It's discrimination, I tell you. :D

I tried to educate them and they just called me a gatekeeper. Since when is Gate keeping not a valid profession? I would rather Gate keep something that actually matters like the rpg genre than something useless like a politicians front door.

I bounced off RPS in 2011 (maybe 2010) because I saw where things were going. which is a bummer because I liked the layout of the site, it was like a blog where I just scrolled through till the last post i remembered. and they only got news on PC games and even though I own an xbox360 I really didn't care what was being released on consoles (I still don't care).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom