Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks like Jason Schreier talked with Otherside: https://www.resetera.com/threads/layoffs-at-otherside-austin-system-shock-3.159345/post-28728904

Definitely accurate that they've downsized. I know Warren Spector is still working on the game, and working on finding a way to make it happen. Don't know how many other people are still there.

And with that, other journalists started to cover this, quoting this thread:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Oh, and also Chase Jones, Design Director: https://www.linkedin.com/in/joneschase/

Design Director - System Shock 3

Company Name OtherSide Entertainment
Dates Employed Aug 2018 – Feb 2020
Employment Duration 1 yr 7 mos
Location Austin, Texas

Manage internal design team using mixed methodologies to drive direction and quality of overall experience while staying within budget and on schedule. Align company leadership on project goals and priorities. Define key project concepts and features for the experience. Manage and communicate with key stakeholders and departments to ensure IP consistency and quality. Direct writers to craft complex systems for immersive and organic storytelling. Support team with hands-on design work as needed including writing, greyboxing levels, balancing, tuning, level scripting, level creation and prototype experiences.

https://twitter.com/chasejonez

Past projects: System Shock 3

Notice that the end month is this month, unlike people who were affected by the layoffs of Fall. Wonder if this is another (final?) layoff or his own decision.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
... fresh and innovative gameplay ... unique and possibly fun ...

Holy shit, that's almost exactly what Warren Spector and Paul Neurath both said about UA. :lol:

3cpAS6Lh.jpg

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What an unexpected turn of events.

No. Not really.

Well, that's certainly a better outcome than what might have been an equivalent to what Fallout 3 was for the Fallout series.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
I checked Michael Dornbrook's linkedin the other day, and it seems he now has "Member of the Board Of Advisors at coUrbanize" at the very top. I am almost certain that this was "Member of the Board of Directors at Otherside Entertainment" just a few weeks ago.

Further down, it says he is still with Otherside "Feb 2015 – Present", so I don't know how significant the change at the top is.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/michaeldornbrook

It will never come out and be published. But it's no great loss, SS1 and SS2 were astounding, no need to taint the legacy.

Envoyé de mon EML-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
These Microsoft fanboys are so fucking delusional. It's not a goddamn charity.

Katana1000S

Angrier OtherSide Refugee
Some Russian guys started #PhilHelpSystemShock3 hastag for some reason...

Utter Morons, willing to throw good money after bad, tragic but not the first fools to attempt something like this, they obviously do not know the full history and story, poor naive fools : (

Eli_Havelock

Learned
It's not a goddamn charity.

After what OSE did with 505 Games and those who backed the KS for UA, I can't see any publisher being that stupid. If so, it's the publisher form of stupid tax. But where else is the money going to go to, since OSE Austin haven't yet delivered any product to operate at general studio expense and OSE Boston went the way of Ion Storm Dallas? So hey, if any want to contribute to the money pit to keep the entertainment going as designer divas who haven't been developing in the immsim genre for over a decade to crap out UA under their Team of Industry Veterans (creative adviser: Warren Spector), by all means. Entertain us on your dime.

"Screw me twice, shame on ME..."

Just a little PSA for those looking in from the linking news articles. ;)

Efe

Erudite
why do you keep reigniting this ptsd of yours katana?
just go where dead feelings go and drop off that baggage

Kin Corn Karn

Arcane
Developer
If Starbreeze hadn't gone into crisis I think we would've delivered something interesting with some fresh and innovative gameplay

The problem is that "innovative" is now used as a marketing word, and we all know how "innovative" Ultima Ascendant ended up being. Therefore, the second you mention that SS3 was innovative, people are going to smell bullshit, and for good reasons.

I can't be any more specific without violating my NDA.

Katana1000S

You already busted it you fool, do you seriously think none of your superiors know who you are?

You violated your NDA ages ago, the first rule of an NDA is do not assume a fake ID to leak stuff.

I myself am under a Microsoft NDA for a forthcoming project, that in its self is not disclosure, what you have done is leak some major shit Kin chilli con carne.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
If Starbreeze hadn't gone into crisis I think we would've delivered something interesting with some fresh and innovative gameplay

The problem is that "innovative" is now used as a marketing word, and we all know how "innovative" Ultima Ascendant ended up being. Therefore, the second you mention that SS3 was innovative, people are going to smell bullshit, and for good reasons.

I can't be any more specific without violating my NDA.

Having operated under the same, that I can fully respect, and I can also respect - even if I do not agree - with the public narrative the studio made about how far along SS3 was, because of previous performance, Warren Spector's own words, and the fact that Warren Spector was going to give OSE Austin a look at UA before it shipped and decided to let that hit you when it could have maximum impact upon morale. I'll also put it out there that any particular subject under NDA loses its protection once the information becomes publicly disclosed from another source.

And personally from having known all three? I'd rather Doug Church + Harvey Smith than Warren Spector. Bring in Raphael Colantonio, he seems to have understood and kept the genre going. Pity that Bethesda named his game after another franchise and developer they dicked over, Human Head, who we were supposed to feel bad about if it weren't for they had just released Rune II (a title with a cult following) and bailed from everyone into the same offices, now called Roundhouse Studios.

At this point, OSE Austin might as well just drop the script - Marc Laidlaw-style - and let modders fix it, as was quite apparently expected from the UA community. I mean, gosh, see what Bethesda gets and we're legends, right? Get the script, make it in Prey's engine. It already has looking-glass technology!

Who's ready for some PHODAN? Might as well with the "teaser" they dropped. "There is no use hiding. I can see everything you do." Or something like that. Dafuq was that writing compared to SHODAN's legendary intros? Was that HAL 9000 after the transition?

Last edited:

Katana1000S

This Kin Corn Karn person is nothing more than a company shill trying to win some sales back.

Boot the bastard is my recommendation.

Efe

Erudite
Haplo Lobar has the same tag but doesnt exhibit these symptoms...
must be something else

realized i referred to lobar as haplo

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom