Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout et tu (Fallout to Fallout 2 engine conversion)

Latro

Arcane
at's just Codex being edgy and using the most basic offenses as usual
There's nothing edgy about it, there's a real point to the criticism.
Not being able to see that there is a fundamental difference
Nobody is attacking the concept of mods, it's an attack on engine-porting.

Saduj

Arcane
Imagine siding with decline simply because Lilura is a woman, or because her innocuous posts cause you tremendous ass-pain.

Where did that happen outside your imagination?

To be honest, this mod doesn’t interest me much and if it were up to me the time would have been spent on creating even a small mod with original content. My only interest is in what might be done with it next.

But having read the thread I have say that the people responding to you are making actual arguments based on facts while you babble about “original codexers” and falsely assign motivations to people whose actual points you can’t refute. If the Codex is in decline, the symptom is that this bullshit form of argumentation isn’t immediately laughed out of the room.

Drowed

Arcane
There's nothing edgy about it, there's a real point to the criticism.

If you say so. All I read was "lols womans bad go kitchen make me sandwichs" as always. The real criticisms had nothing to do with anyone's sex, you need to be able to separate the criticisms from the gratuitous offenses. Not just on Codex, but on the Internet as a whole.

Nobody is attacking the concept of mods, it's an attack on engine-porting.

Which, in this case, was done in a MOD. It's a game MODidification. You pick Fallout 2. That's a game, by the way. You put things in (and out) of it. Meaning, you modify it. So, it's a MOD. It's not that hard, man. BG1 Tutu is the same thing. It's a MOD that takes the content of another game, so obviously it's still a port in that sense, but it's literally a MOD. To question that on any level is stupid.

Warcraft 3 Refunded? That's an engine-port. Same with Beamdog's things. But that's not the case here.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The thing is, the monocle is what seperates us prestigious Codexers from the scrubs. Where's your monocle?

Here:

lilura.jpg

FeelTheRads

Arcane
t probably wouldn't even take us longer than a month, because it only requires two more engine hacks.

What is it still missing?

I saw that you managed to implement the day counter in the Pipboy, but noticed in the script messages about invasions. Did you restore those?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Why are you retards comparing Lexx's mod to what Beamdog did? WTF? This isn't even remotely close. I've been Beamdog's hater from day 1 (logo I've made for Beamdog was even Beamdog's official logo on Polish Google for quite a while and my GOGmix "Beamdog is the parasite of the industry" which had over 500 votes got deleted by GOG on their demand) and this is definitely not similar situation.

Wow. You really think you are an effective critic of Beamdog's EEs because you got 500 votes? Let me tell you whose criticisms of their EEs are effective: mine. Why? Because not only am I lead-commentator for the games they "enhance", but my commentary is high-ranked, sustained and as thorough as fuck. You are but a gnat compared to me.

Now, because you aren't actually a gamer, and are only on the 'Dex to impotently rage about women and the outside world you cower in fear from, you of course don't see the parallel between the EEs and this mod.

Which is shoving an original campaign into a sequel's engine, thereby changing its nature.

You don't care about that because you're not a gamer: you're woman-hating political progagandist who is on a gaming cite spouting his hate because he can't swing with the big boys.

Meanwhile this mod is totally optional, it's free, it's made by hardcore Fallout fans who were fans before Lilura was even born

A hardcore fan would never make a mod that shoves Fallout into the Fallout 2 engine, nor would they devalue the legacy of Fallout ("it's unbalanced!") in order to prop up and promote their mod.

You are a shill-scrub.

I have no idea what sort of autistic discussion has been going in the last pages. Until I take a look, I'm just going to say you're all a bunch of faglords and move on.

Hey Lexx , we talked about the mod earlier in reddit, yesterday I think.

Do you know if anyone plans to do somesort of OpenSource engine port for the Fallout Engine? You know, like OpenXCOM.

Latro

Arcane
whose actual points you can’t refute.
What points are there to refute? All I get is "it's just a mod". Well, mods can be criticized too right? Why not?
while you babble about “original codexers”
You're quite the selective reader ain't cha?

As Lilura pointed out, this sort of thing wouldn't have been accepted with butt-cheeks wide open in the past. Nu-codex is all about "positivity", or whatever bullshit I guess.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
No point in arguing for 4 pages. I really try not to, but tbh this thread is triggering me pretty hard, because it's wasting so much of my thoughts and time.

Your mod triggers me as a defender of Fallout's legacy. I'm fundamentally opposed to its existence. This sort of shit should never gain traction.

/Edit: To add to that, I'm open for any criticism if it's substantial and I can do something about it. "Hurr durr, why do you even exist" really isn't though.

Nice dishonest extension on what has been said. Some posters have questioned your mod's existence, not your personal existence. I've spents 6 years as a commentator (twice as long as you have been modding), and most 'Dexers hate me and my commentary. I think you need to grow thicker skin.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
New Codex is on Lilura's side regarding Beamdog. As far as I know, only [Redacted Individual Who Must Not Be Named] ever championed the EEs around here. The difference is that Beamdog is criticised for making bad changes and running a scummy business. That's the grognard take. "The EEs suck because they make changes to the original games" isn't the same at all. In fact, to elevate any game to something that can't be criticised or improved upon is profoundly un-Codexian, old or new.

Completely wrong. Grognard pertains to games and gaming, not criticisms of political agenda and business models. I don't self-ID as grognard, but if you want to use the term colloquially, then yes, I'm more "grognard" than you and your kind. Because you don't even fucking know what grognard means, not even colloquially. Google it. Check first result. Again, if you want to use the term colloquially (I don't like to), then the first Google result match is: "s/he only plays the ORIGINAL Dungeons & Dragons".

"Lilura only writes retrospectives on the ORIGINAL Fallout, Baldur's Gate and Jagged Alliance 2."
"Lilura defends the legacies of the ORIGINALS."
"No commentator goes on the warpath for the ORIGINALS like Lilura does".

My entire blog is about the original and the authoritative: it's the fucking subtitle:

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
What points are there to refute? All I get is "it's just a mod". Well, mods can be criticized too right? Why not?

You whiffed on replying in any meaningful way to Goral and that was only a page back. The one legit attempt you made to address anything he said, is "What if GOG decides to sell this mod as the original game", which is hysterical nonsense that will never happen.

As Lilura pointed out, this sort of thing wouldn't have been accepted with butt-cheeks wide open in the past.

The language you are using indicates people are being screwed over in some way because someone released a free mod that is the easiest thing in the world to ignore. This is inherently dishonest (edit: Unless you are genuinely insane or mentally handicapped). The contention that anyone would have ever been up in arms over this imaginary problem is delusional at best.

Latro

Arcane
You whiffed on replying in any meaningful way to Goral and that was only a page back.
Goral was talking about the comparison to Beamdog, and I replied that I had already moved on to another engine-port job, BGTutu - an engine port that did more harm than good. Lilura knows more about EE than I do, as well as the specifics of what Beamdog did.
The one legit attempt you made to address anything he said, is "What if GOG decides to sell this mod as the original game"
Your selective reading is showing; I pointed out that newbies don't know any better and I used myself as an example by confessing my first experience of BG1 was through BGTutu.

which is hysterical nonsense that will never happen.
They've done it for other re-releases.
The language you are using
Hold that snub nose of yours to my language if you must, but address my points honestly.

Last edited:

Cirtdear

Savant
No point in arguing for 4 pages. I really try not to, but tbh this thread is triggering me pretty hard, because it's wasting so much of my thoughts and time.

Your mod triggers me as a defender of Fallout's legacy. I'm fundamentally opposed to its existence. This sort of shit should never gain traction.

/Edit: To add to that, I'm open for any criticism if it's substantial and I can do something about it. "Hurr durr, why do you even exist" really isn't though.

Nice dishonest extension on what has been said. Some posters have questioned your mod's existence, not your personal existence. I've spents 6 years as a commentator (twice as long as you have been modding), and most 'Dexers hate me and my commentary. I think you need to grow thicker skin.

Wow I like you alot! Welcome to the party! I've never felt such equality with a wahmen in my life.

Yeah it is true that before Bethesda came along there were ceraintly plenty of people fighting over purity of the Fallout games. Competent voices made themselves heard.
Modders were also few in the past and what little they could produce back then was under heavier scrutiny.

Yet you should know veterans age like fine wine. They become more relevant as time goes on. Notable exceptions might be when the devs of the games themselves go through degenerative cycles.
But If we are seriously to understand "authoritive" to functionally be bible worship anyway, then I have to say hard pass on that sis.

MrLexx and others may not go the furtherst back, but in terms of circle jerking over what's fallouty he/she/they were part of that crowd.
If you have evidence the creator is just going to force their own preferences then provide it. Else search around NMA and reeducate yourself.

As much pleasure as I get from seeing you tear into people like you have, your act reeks of just being a one trick pony. It's quite adorable, but not really admirable.

You should know you are only as good as the work you can put out. Like.. you know this don't you?
I'm fairly sure you'll never produce a game like Fallout 1 or 2.

Some unambigous reasons why:
-Too proud of some shitty brochures you created during your precious tomboy years.
-Satisfied with making excuses about why it's infeasible to ever replicate certain titles. (It gives you a sense of power to be in control of your opinion even if it's stagnant)

To be fair I've also never been under any illusions modders could do justice to the series.

If i'm being nice you're a lil Clevelet without a game. Neato.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
What if GOG decides to sell this mod as the original game

GoG includes unofficial patches in their releases, pre-installed. Prime examples are Fallout 2, ToEE and VtMB. There are 100s of others. In this respect, pirates and Abandonware sites offer more authentic versions.

The language you are using indicates people are being screwed over in some way because someone released a free mod that is the easiest thing in the world to ignore. This is inherently dishonest

'Dex criticizes games considered to be Decline, yet games can be ignored. Thus, mods that are considered Decline can be criticized, too. And commentary.

It is you who are being dishonest.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
search around NMA and reeducate yourself.

NMA is cucks'ville and full sell-out because they added an Oblivion With Guns forum. Not only that, but they now have Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 forums. Jokers.

I don't need to: I'm a commentator.

To be fair I've also never been under any illusions modders could do justice to the series.

Fallout shouldn't be modded, fullstop.

I'd never call you a lil' Liluret without a blog.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
GOG is pretty shit for archival interest in general, they either intentionally or because of incompetency make it harder to get the pristine versions of games, even when it would be easy to have the originals beside the installers, nor are they transparent about what source was used for games (UK or US, which patch version). They seems to rely on outside help for manuals as well, their scan of the Wizardry 7 manual is an embarrassment, it looks like utter garbage

Cirtdear

Savant
MrLexx and others may not go the furtherst back, but in terms of circle jerking over what's fallouty he/she/they were part of that crowd.
If you have evidence the creator is just going to force their own preferences then provide it. Else search around NMA and reeducate yourself.

NMA is cucks'ville and full sell-out because they added an Oblivion With Guns forum. Not only that, but they now have Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 forum. Jokers.

I don't need to: I'm a commentator.

I'd never call you a lil' Liluret without a blog.

uwu let's go get married on DAC. Maybe you should start a store on your geocities and sell statues of yourself.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Someone ask Feargie if he gives a flying fuck about his game being modded. Or was Fargo the one to call? Taylor? Leonard? Tim? Who? Who?!? WHO?!?

Nah, better ask Lilura, and make sure we cease and desist all fun because she said so.

And because it brings her more traffic to her webzone. (?!?)

Last edited:

Yes it should. I'm all for purism, but mods won't take The One True Pure Experience away from you.

For one, modders can fix bugs.

Funfact: Did you know that ammo modifiers do abso-fucking-nothing in FO1? They're bugged, they don't work period. Its an exe bug, AFAIK you can't fix it.

Funfact2: FO1 also has bugged karma. Positive Karma characters are supposed to like Positive Karma players and hate Negative Karma ones, and vice-versa, but in practice, everyone in-game ends up liking positive karma characters and hating the bad ones.

Mods can also add unfinished content to the game.

Mods can also enhance the game with modern features and comfort. Patches for modern resolutions, more save slots, etc etc. The modding community has done incredible work with the originals, especially 2.

I can speak, because I played vanilla versions AND modded ones. Heck, I played unpatched FO1 and 2 (real OGs remember when their car trunks could detach from their cars at random :obviously: ). The work the community has done has been fantastic, and the classic Fallouts are better games for it. Not bad for engines which are not tailor-made for modding, like modern engines.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Funfact +Funfact2

I've been playing Fallout on and off since its inception. There is nothing you can tell me about Fallout mechanics that I don't already know.

Bugs and glitches don't affect the authority of the original game; they are part of it.

Mods can also add unfinished content to the game.

That is unauthoritative even if the original devs give the changes their blessing. Like Avellone approving the changes Beamdog made to PST:EE. Avellone 20 years later is not the authority: the release by Black Isle in 1999, patched to 1.1, is the authority.

Mods can also enhance the game with modern features and comfort. Patches for modern resolutions, more save slots, etc etc.

That is just Beamdog-level marketing targeting casual'tards, graphics whores and lazy gamers: Decline.

The work the community has done has been fantastic, and the classic Fallouts are better games for it.

Wrong. Fallout is still the same game because mods have no authority whatsoever.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I've never put much attention to what this retard Lilura was saying but Fallout is my favourite game ever and when I'm reading that a noob like her says she's an expert on this game and spouts her retarded shit, I'm triggered. She has no arguments but she still argues, typical woman (or man pretending to be a woman).
I think you need to grow thicker skin.
WKzUFxs.jpg

[203 users on ignore list and counting]

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I've never put much attention to what this retard Lilura was saying but Fallout is my favourite game ever and when I'm reading that a noob like her says she's an expert on this game and spouts her retarded shit, I'm triggered.

Cite your expertise on Fallout. (I have my citations ready.)

My erudition on Fallout goes way beyond yours. You are naught but a clueless fanboy who thinks a Fallout mod must be auto-monocled because FALLOUT.

As such, you represent Decline.

She has no arguments but she still argues, typical woman

Woman-hating scum confirmed.

You are just a butthurt zoological specimen because you have shilled for a mod that does exactly what Beamdog did to Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment; to wit, shoving an original campaign into a sequel engine, thereby changing its nature. And then promoting its feature-bloat to gullible retards who don't know any better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom