Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout et tu (Fallout to Fallout 2 engine conversion)

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i can appreciate the effort put into this... but i would rather just play og fallout 1. you can easily get it off gog or steam instead of trying this hacky solution that isn't 1:1 faithful to the original

.Pixote.

Augur
Fallout shouldn't be modded, fullstop.

Bullshit, and I suppose the game shouldn't be patched either, because logically the released game is the "perfect" version, and therefore untouchable. You obviously have never worked in the games industry and just like talking through your arse...games are full of bugs and oversights, you will never find a games studio that will be 100% happy with any game, time and money determines what you get, and Interplay released Fallout as a buggy mess. Their patch fixed only a small amount of the actual bugs, modders over the years have been fixing the rest.

You're a fucking coward Lilura, you criticise something you haven't even played, and somehow think you're an authority on Fallout and Interplay games in general. Install it, play it, and then write about your experience, good, bad, indifferent.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
i can appreciate the effort put into this... but i would rather just play og fallout 1. you can easily get it off gog or steam instead of trying this hacky solution that isn't 1:1 faithful to the original

Yeah I'm not really into modding or tweaking other than resolution/FOV style stuff, so this doesn't seem like my bag. It's super cool it exists though, and a lot of people will thoroughly enjoy it. Bravo team!

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Bullshit, and I suppose the game shouldn't be patched either, because logically the released game is the "perfect" version, and therefore untouchable.

You ridiculous gorilla, you. I've asserted numberous times, both formally and informally, that the authoritative version of a game is the one released and patched by the original devs. Fixpacks and mods are never, ever authoritative. And nor are remakes that are targeted at casuals such as yourself.

Their patch fixed only a small amount of the actual bugs, modders over the years have been fixing the rest.

And injecting new ones of their own that weren't in the original to begin with. Also, many of their "fixes" do not reflect dev-intent. Even Killap's mod can be charged in this respect, let alone ham-fisted engine transplants such as Fallout ET TU.

You're a fucking coward Lilura, you criticise something you haven't even played, and somehow think you're an authority on Fallout and Interplay games in general.

Having extensively played both Fallout and Fallout 2 since their inception, I don't need to play Fallout ET TU in order to know the results. This is Fallout in the Fallout 2 engine: neither Fallout nor Fallout 2, but a Beamdog-like abomination.

Lexx

Cipher
What is it still missing?

I saw that you managed to implement the day counter in the Pipboy, but noticed in the script messages about invasions. Did you restore those?

The location tabs on the worldmap interface would need to be changed, and the money counter in dialog needs to be removed. After that the game looks 1:1 like Fo1, except for the loot screen and party member interface. However, even those can be changed reasonably fast. It just makes no sense to do that, because then what's the point of porting the game to Fo2.

Mutant invasions, etc are taken over from TeamX / Fixt. I didn't change them, except for putting the timers in an easily accessible .ini file. Oh, and the timers are running global now, that means the "don't visit Necropolis and its ending will be fine"-bug is fixed. :>

Do you know if anyone plans to do somesort of OpenSource engine port for the Fallout Engine? You know, like OpenXCOM.

Faltergeist and the FOnline engine are probably the closest. Don't know if Faltergeist will ever be finished, but FOnline is playable.

hexer

From what I remember Black Isle Studios released the Fallout 2 Mapper in May 2003. and hosted it on their website. I can dig up the internet archive link if anyone needs it.
They probably did that after being pestered by players and seeing the success of NWN toolset.

My signed Fallout 1 and 2 copies are probably going with me to my grave but I wouldn't mind experiencing the super mutants invasion in Fallout 1. From what I heard it was in some version of the released game but they removed it with the first patch.

JDR13

Arcane
My signed Fallout 1 and 2 copies are probably going with me to my grave but I wouldn't mind experiencing the super mutants invasion in Fallout 1. From what I heard it was in some version of the released game but they removed it with the first patch.

Maybe you could track down a used copy on Ebay or something. Then you could install the original unpatched version.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I don't think Lilura is capable of producing three posts in a row without the word "authoritative" in them.
The equivalent of this level of autism is telling people who don't play Doom or Quake in the DOS .exe are doing it wrong and are missing out on the "authoritative" experience of those games.
Can it really be an authoritative experience if you don't have an old CRT monitor, a mechanical ball mouse, and homework to do instead of playing?
Implying the homework mattered.
Playing homm2 until 4am on school nights made me the man I am today.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Lil is now rereading "her" "ignored" thread and dishing out smileys for "ignored" people like there's no tomorrow =)
TdbsuPJ.jpg

i would rather just play og fallout 1. you can easily get it off gog or steam
Gog's F1 comes with sfall patch, IIRC so does Steam's. To get the OG version you'll have to pirate probably.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Purism is retarded.

Mods are absolutely preferrable IF they improve the game only in majorly positive ways with little downsides.

As to the original vision of the game, that's obviously also preferrable, without too much interference with the overall mission and vision of the game itself.
Mechanical changes for the better are hardly ever interferent with said visions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Correct me if I'm wrong Lexx, but I think this is a misconception stemming from years of imprecise language in the Fallout community.

My understanding is that the original release of Fallout, both unpatched and patched, only ever had a visible in-game mutant invasion in Necropolis. What was removed in the patch was the endgame slide invasions of the other towns. If you took too long to finish the game, you might learn that the mutants destroyed the Hub, but you'd never actually see them there. That's what the modders created.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One thing's for sure: if you genuinely believe that a pure bugfix not issued by the original developers is a bad thing, you're more interested in talking about the game than playing it.

Lexx

Cipher
Correct me if I'm wrong Lexx, but I think this is a misconception stemming from years of imprecise language in the Fallout community.

My understanding is that the original release of Fallout, both unpatched and patched, only ever had a visible in-game mutant invasion in Necropolis. What was removed in the patch was the endgame slide invasions of the other towns. If you took too long to finish the game, you might learn that the mutants destroyed the Hub, but you'd never actually see them there. That's what the modders created.

That is correct. The Hub, Junktown, Boneyard, Brotherhood, and Shady Sands invasions were added by TeamX / restoration mod if I remember right. What was patched is the V13 invasion ending - it's set to 500 days. Though I actually do not know what the original timer was. If someone can tell me, I could set it as default. :p

Fun bonus fact: Every time you use the healing services of the Children of the Cathedral (in the Hub, Necropolis, or later in Junktown), the V13 invasion timer gets reduced by 1 day.

/edit: One of my "remember for later"-ideas was to improve the invasions a bit visually - adding rubble, destroying houses, etc. It would be a lot work for something barely anyone likes to play with, though, so it doesn't really have a super high priority for me.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

That is correct. The Hub, Junktown, Boneyard, Brotherhood, and Shady Sands invasions were added by TeamX / restoration mod if I remember right. What was patched is the V13 invasion ending - it's set to 500 days. Though I actually do not know what the original timer was. If someone can tell me, I could set it as default. :p

Fun bonus fact: Every time you use the healing services of the Children of the Cathedral (in the Hub, Necropolis, or later in Junktown), the V13 invasion timer gets reduced by 1 day.

/edit: One of my "remember for later"-ideas was to improve the invasions a bit visually - adding rubble, destroying houses, etc. It would be a lot work for something barely anyone likes to play with, though, so it doesn't really have a super high priority for me.

I actually really like that idea, with more visibility of the invasion throughout. I mean the whole central point of fallout 1 is the invasion and creation of mutants by the master. Playing through Fallout 1 originally, you really never felt that threat, and it was just glossed over when talking with the master as something he would eventually do if not stopped, but with no real clear cut impact on that game itself from the players perspective throughout.

I guess Tim and Leonard didn't wanna bother the player with TWO major timers right off the bat, and the 2nd one hidden, because they feared people would simply be overcome and not finish the game or some shit.

The waterchip being such a big deal right at the start, it would probably have been asking too much with the mutants too

I saw this and suspected Lils would have a chimp out. Was not disappointed. But doesn't she have more pressing matters like the entire population of her country and all countries nearby turning into plaguebearers?

Lexx

Cipher
The waterchip being such a big deal right at the start, it would probably have been asking too much with the mutants too
Yeah. The 150 days (+100 optional) are more than enough time to wrap up the water chip quest, but folks keep going nuts about it. Adding even more timers that wipe out the content of all the cities would melt their brains for sure.

However, the added mutant invasion timers aren't that great either. For example the Boneyard gets overrun after 90(!) days. That's a tough timeline even for me. I guess simply just doubling them would make it feel a lot more balanced already.

hexer

Actually, it wasn't just the Fallout community that came up with a super mutant invasion as a misconception.
It was this interview (timestamped) plus the files of 22 cut characters from Adytum for a post-invasion event.
Maybe they just recalled it wrongly and now no one knows what exactly someone is talking about when they say "second timer" :lol:
From what I see there were 3 timers: 1) the water chip, 2) super mutants invade the cities, 3) super mutants invade Vault 13

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom