Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The oldest WRPG with decent writing

Codex Year of the Donut
But what with WRPG's? Ultima 7? Betrayal at Krondor? Maybe Martian Dreams? Or something older?

These are the most well-known ones. One thing you have to remember is that physical storage space was actually a significant limiting factor on text in the old days, moreso in RPGs where it had to share that space with lots of graphical assets, massive game worlds, etc. There's a reason all the games with good writing suddenly appear in the early 1990s when hard drives became the standard. For good writing in early computer games, you probably have to go to the Infocom text adventures.
Huh, guess I never thought about it but that does make a lot more sense as to why quite a few games opted to include the writing in the manual and simply tell you which paragraph to refer to.

Dorateen

Arcane
As mentioned above, classic cRPGs had backgrounds and exposition placed in the manual. Tunnels & Trolls is a brilliant example in its delivery of instructions written from an in-world perspective. Others would refer to passages throughout the game. 1988's Pool of Radiance is very well written (as are all the Gold Box games), here presented in the Adventurer's Journal with a flowing script. This sample page includes correspondences from two of the adventure's villains and greatly enhances their respective characterizations and relationship with the antagonist, far better than the hamfisted attempts by modern narrative designers.

iyWVJVM.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Betrayal at Krondor has been mentioned a lot and I probably agree with that. I like a lot games made before that more than BaK, but wouldn't say they had good writing (Lands of Lore for example, my first RPG). I actually bounced off BaK eventually as a young teen, because I hated the giant polygons, but the writing was unquestionably incline for the genre.

Honestly though point and click adventure games had the best writing for most of the 90s, by far.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The best game related writing I ever saw was The Dark Wheel story by Robert Holdstock that was included with Elite in 1984. A shame it was never anthologized. But maybe it was not really that good, but the young me being much less critical that I am now.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Easily Wizardry 4.

Huge puzzle and storyfag game, you don't even earn XP or loot.

Also has much more imaginative writing than most of its contemporaries, hell you even unlock the mysteries of the kabbalah by the end.

Boomer_007

Novice
Dungeon Master from 1987. The short story in the manual was written by a professional writer.

I think "The short story in the manual" is the opposite of "attention to plot in RPG". It's sounds too rudimentary.
For me Dungeon Master always has been about pure mechanic with pretty basic story-motivation.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
The problem here is the definition of decent and possibly of writing too. I like the story in Phantasy Star 1 because you are tasked with revenge, not saving the universe, and you buy fake documents, bribe guards and become allies with a psychopathic scientist, among other morally grey actions, in order to achieve this goal. It's an above average plot for JRPGs in general. But the dialogue and all actual writing you see on the screen is just as bad as any other game from that era.

For CRPGs there's an extra caveat because so many early CRPGs had large chunks of the story, if not it's entirety, in the manual.

"The door to this hut is open and from within you hear someone singing. Entering the hut, you see a simple room. A pile of straw serves as a bed, while a candle burns on a large rock that passes as a table. Behind the rock you see a sad man who seems very old. His eyes are empty sockets and both his hands have been amputated at the wrist. You wonder why a blind man burns candles when he's alone."

This is one of the numbered paragraphs from Dragon Wars (1989). You are supposed to read these paragraphs as you play, when the game prompts you to do so. It's not the best writing ever, but it's pretty fucking metal and better than Final Fantasy 4 TBH.

I'm playing BaK right now and it's writing is very, very good indeed. Can't disagree with anyone pointing to it as a landmark for quality writing.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You are supposed to read these paragraphs as you play, when the game prompts you to do so. It's not the best writing ever, but it's pretty fucking metal and better than Final Fantasy 4 TBH.
Temple of Apshai did this in 1979, and dozens of RPGs did the same in the years afterwards... but that's not "pretty fucking metal", it's the most generic GM/CYOA text imaginable.

If we gonna count in-manual text then Star Saga: One is probably the best early example.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Star Saga: One

It barely qualifies as a video game by modern standards and it's from 1988, not even that old. Wouldn't you say there is an earlier - and possibly more fitting - example of a CRPG with decent writing? The Bard's Tale and Starflight come to mind.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I don't think that storyfag RPG's were even a thing until PST.

As far as quality writing in early RPG's - some had so little of it, that what was there may count as "decent writing", but what's the point?

If I had to pick the earliest RPG's with a decent amount of decent writing, I'd go with Wizardry 6/7 and Realms of Arkania 1/2. Wasteland writing seemed fine too.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
For CRPGs there's an extra caveat because so many early CRPGs had large chunks of the story, if not it's entirety, in the manual.

This is a good point. I remember in the 90s when I had an attention span I would read those manuals on the shitter for half an hour sometimes, and there was some great stuff in them. Can't remember any of it now, and good luck trying to read it in 2020, but I'm sure there was a lot of great writing before Betrayal at Krondor hidden in those tomes.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
You nerds, how did this devolve into a discussion about manual writing? When I buy games it's with the intention of having my eyes on the PC monitor, not any side books.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
You nerds, how did this devolve into a discussion about manual writing? When I buy games it's with the intention of having my eyes on the PC monitor, not any side books.

Lots of older RPGs outsourced writing to print material, e.g. the Goldbox games or Wasteland, so you have to count that as well

edit: this was done for space reasons, if they could have, they would have included the text in the game, so I count that stuff as in-game text, unlike say short stories in manuals to introduce the setting or as a lead-in to the plot of the games

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Dungeon Master from 1987. The short story in the manual was written by a professional writer.

I think "The short story in the manual" is the opposite of "attention to plot in RPG". It's sounds too rudimentary.
For me Dungeon Master always has been about pure mechanic with pretty basic story-motivation.

Sure, but having a short story by a professional writer in the manual is so much better than being assaulted by too much text in the game (unless it's a text adventure game).

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Probably because, back in the day, the manual was inseparable from the game.

In some cases, reading the manual was more interesting than playing the game. We're not talking about leaflets but rather well-written tomes filled with lore, maps and illustrations.

And sometimes, you couldn't start the game without the manual. Or keep playing it without the manual.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Sure, but having a short story by a professional writer in the manual is so much better than being assaulted by too much text in the game (unless it's a text adventure game).

Yeah. Something like an Infinity Engine game, where it's presented as dialog or books, it's fine with me if it gets occasionally wordy. However big endless blocks of text setting up a chapter or lore or whatever is fucking intolerable, and manuals were a better presentation for that.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah game manual is definitely more interesting than the gameplay itself.
E.g Knights of Legend

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
669938-darklands-dos-screenshot-moishe-rabinovich-takes-on-a-fearsome.png

I mean, what's not to love, other than the illegible black font on black background art?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom