Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

V_K

Arcane
If it's the scam issue, a quick search would have show them Pierre's accomplishments.
Why would they bother though? It's not like they'd be getting rich off a project with 1$ goal.
Besides, scam or not, it's still against the Kickstarter rules, which state that the funding goal should represent the actual amount of money needed to finish the project and fulfill the rewards. They're a funding platform, not a preorder or donation platform. Plus, if they, for whatever reason, allowed a project with a fictitious goal, they'd be opening the floodgates for actual scammers.

Bottom line is, institutions work the way they work, and there's usually a reason for that. You can criticize and protest that, but thinking you're entitled to an exception from the rules is naive at best.

Mortmal

Arcane
I'll be very pleased if he skips the crowdfunding altogether. This is a niche role-playing game for the top 1% D&D enthusiasts. We don't need social media, kickstarter or their flipping "approvals". I want to purchase directly from Heroic Fantasy Games.
It needs advertising, even here , the most well informed people about rpg games in the world, with one escaped rogue IA copy pasting every news post possible here , there's still very few people who will buy that .I or you could make a poll but the result will be really depresing . He should have launched it at 5000$ a reasonable amount to fund new tokens, new art. Of course at 1$ its auto rejected...
That's sad to witness such trainwreck, i hope he has some inheritance , or something, else this guy with such business sense will end up homeless.

Viata

Arcane
The screen shot thread is still the best shilling thread in this forum. You can easily sell a game by knowing what to say and show there. That is for players, not for the dev. The developer should make his own thread, then.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hope he tries again with a goal of 10,000 GBP or whatever.

Interestingly, I just noticed when somebody mentioned it in the comments that the bottom add-on makes it sound like you don't get Steam keys without paying extra. Surely, he means it's $30 to get additional Steam keys, right?

4d6ce8a278ca0c62c5b73f216b44538d_original.png

Mortmal

Arcane
It seems like for 29.94 you are buying a season pass for kotc 2 , with 4 DLC, but i could be wrong...It's as obscure as his game interface, Pierre never changes.

From the KS page he's referring to:

Hello there! Well, before I can launch this, I need to get the approval of Kickstarter, and for now I don't have it. I mean I tried submitting the project today and it instantly came back to me as 'not approved' without any specific reason. Maybe it's because of the 1 GBP funding goal, I'm not sure (not a problem for me to set a higher goal, though). I'm allowed to submit a single appeal but I won't do this before getting some actual feedback from Kickstarter. Worst case scenario I guess I could go to Indiegogo or simply do without crowdfunding. Concerning Paypal, I have no problem with that. Thank you for your support!
"Maybe" :lol::lol::lol:
for fucks sake, he really does hate money.

I imagine that when this dude goes to book a flight ticket, he stares at the page asking for his meal preferences, calls the airline to politely request some explanation, and then ultimately decides to cancel the entire trip

The above process only taking a couple of months, of course
they don't offer roots and gourds as an option. And he chose to fly as cargo, or in a an animal crate, maybe thats why his ticket was declined? Maybe?

What I don't understand is how the fuck someone can make so many dumb choices like this when you have a master's degree in international economics and finance.
he is just interested and taken by the academic and theory side of Austrian/libertarian economics is my take. Nothing to do with applying it to reality.

Delterius

Arcane
With the Coles I was afraid they'd end up homeless. Pierre, I dread the day he is found dead of an obscure root infection, clutching a chest of fake Austrian gold doubloons.

Someone needs to save this beautiful mind from itself.

Modron

Arcane
What I don't understand is how the fuck someone can make so many dumb choices like this when you have a master's degree in international economics and finance.
He wrote a book about how he hates money what's hard to understand? Autism speaks.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Must have been an online "degree" because I have a hard time imagining how a guy so autistic and awkward managed to interact with other humanoids long enough to get a degree.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Must have been an online "degree" because I have a hard time imagining how a guy so autistic and awkward managed to interact with other humanoids long enough to get a degree.
>Implying economists are humanoids.

Tigranes

Arcane
"saga"

Writing that tweet probably took him a couple of days, now he needs to drink some wine and take a break or he will go crazy from the strain

Aegidius

Educated
Here is a copy of the feedback I provided him on his draft KickStarter page.

Hi Big fan of your RPG work. Here are a bunch of comments regarding rewards and pricing. I really like your work and really want you to succeed and therefore have provided a lot of feedback. Sorry for the length and hope you find some of it usable.

1. Set your money amount required for Successful Backing to be equal to your current Stretch Goal for module Heart of Evil. Right now your new modules are part of different reward tiers so you could have a scenario where you have promised a module, i.e., Heart of Evil to people who backed at the Diamond level and above, but didn't reach that Stretch Funding goal. Would be bad to have to tell those backers sorry this item will not be delivered.

2. I think the main value points for each reward tier are the game and the new modules. Within the reward tier descriptions it is unclear when the tier includes the game and new module. Possibly put them as the first icon in the Tier of Champion and thereafter. Maybe use same icon for Augury of Chaos and the modules? Maybe add word like 'game' and/or 'new playable module'? to make clearer.

3. Charging extra for steam key is unusual for kickstarter games. Will likely generate negative feedback / reviews. I recommend you accept you are now on Steam and jump in with both feet. Do not have one of people's talking points about your game be something I think most people will present as very negative.

4. Consider switching your base currency from pounds to USD. Stats from other successful RPG kickstarters show the majority of backers use USD. Don't make it potentially confusing for the majority of your (hopefully) new customers. So have round numbers for USD cost of each tier. Having costs like USD24.67 will look weird to some number of potential US backers and may be a negative tie breaker (i.e., This looks strange so I will pass).

5. Finally, the big one, your pricing seems to high to me for what the majority of people will consider a indie video game. I really encourage you to think of potential kickstarter backers as a new market of people who would not be putting money into your games otherwise. In other words, there will be limited cannibalism of your current customers. I believe you will convert many new players into long term supporters, but only if they back you here. So, I think you need to lower your prices (and include steam keys). I'd suggest Early Bird Tier of USD15 for the base game. Then Regular Tier of USD20 for base game. Provide a noticeable volume discount for backing additional modules (so USD15 for first module, USD25 for two modules, USD30 for all three ... Or have it as additional Early Bird Tier, get game and all three modules for USD45 or USD50). People love a deal!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom