Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Finally, I've played the game.
- Combat is overbalanced and not fun
- Story and plot is quite nice, with some exceptions
- Game feels unfinished, like it is half of a game, even with DLCs
Good for a quick playthrough or two, just use cheats to get past the combat and soak in the lore/choices.

Prime Junta

IMO the problem isn't that it's overbalanced, the problem is that it's monotonous. The spell system has some promise but even with it everything is extremely rote and repetitive.

Also the Oldwall dungeons are just sad, almost like very early development blockouts.

Tyranny is the last hurrah of old Obsidian -- takes creative risks, has potential for greatness, but faceplants in a few critical areas.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath

IMO the problem isn't that it's overbalanced, the problem is that it's monotonous.

I would say both are right. It's monotonous because it's overbalanced. It feels like all the fights are the same. This system might have worked with a turn-based game. Original Sin had good balance but gave you options, combinations. This game also does it (with special abilities, companion abilities and spells combos) but it's muddled with the overbalancing, monotonous encounters. You can read Josh Sawyer in every combat log line.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

IMO the problem isn't that it's overbalanced, the problem is that it's monotonous. The spell system has some promise but even with it everything is extremely rote and repetitive.

Also the Oldwall dungeons are just sad, almost like very early development blockouts.

Tyranny is the last hurrah of old Obsidian -- takes creative risks, has potential for greatness, but faceplants in a few critical areas.

I sometimes wish to replay and finally finish it in Story Mode, but then remember how awful and stupid was combat and Pillars Spires thing, and, like, no way.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You can read Josh Sawyer in every combat log line.

Josh didn't work on Tyranny.
It still feels like it. For me, PoE 1 and 2 feel the same as Tyranny in sense of gameplay/combat.

The systems are similar but different.
Spell system is entirely different for example. Tyranny more creative and cool... so what if there are no actual interesting encounters to use it in.
PoE 1/2 actually had interesting combat sometimes. White March was the highlight for me.
Also there are differences in what attributes impact (Might/Int) and critical ratios/conversions.

Prime Junta

Tyranny more creative and cool

More creative for sure, but cooler? Not really IMO. The problem is that ultimately there aren't that many toys to play with. The spells end up a pretty monotonous optimisation problem, and you end up blasting the same few spells in the same sequence every time. With Pillars' per-rest magic and much bigger variety of spell effects magic was more fun to play with IMO. Deadfire cut the balls off it by making everything per-encounter of course, which meant that you'd once again end up using the same few spells in the same order for most encounters.

I've said it before but it bears saying again -- Josh really doesn't grok the importance of per-rest magic in this type of game.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I mean cool like in able to create some OP effects, like spells with aoe that bounce several times...
Breaking systems kinda cool. I agree its not "systemic" kind of cool that leads to meaningful game-play.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I really liked spell system in Tyranny. There are a ton of effects and sigils + accents could totally change spell, like adding AoE on single target spell, extra effects or even turning nukes into weapon enchantments. IMHO, it is most creative combat thing Obsidian put out in the years. Reminded me of Morrowind spell creation.

Another cool part is how chosen plot branch and order of main locations affects mages repertoire - sigils are rare enough that it possible to play 2/3 of game without getting strongest ones, like Material Force or Chaotic Descent (persistent AoE).

Prime Junta

That indeed is another logical step, given that the Myth games are heavily based on the Black Company series... and Tyranny is heavily based on the Black Company series. Everything will come full circle.

Myth 1 and 2 were terrific. Myth 3 not so much (but it was made by a different studio).

Edit: jesus H, it was over 20 years ago, time fucking flies

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
For some reason they changed small and big capsule art for this game on Steam: https://steamdb.info/app/362960/history/?changeid=U:14799366

wuG9Rxd.jpg
IE1PCGc.jpg

To:

edit: oh yeah it's on daily deal. 50% off.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
That communist style art was weird to begin with and gave a totally wrong vibe about the game.

The new hopw roewur ne face is not much better though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom