Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I still don't understand why anyone cares. I usually side with gamers on their crusades but I don't understand why anyone would make a big deal out of having to use a different store rather than contributing to Gaben's obese girth and near monopoly on game sales. It makes 0 difference to me what store I use to buy a game. It sucks that EGS doesn't supply forums for their games but that's not a big enough complaint to make me bitch about a game being exclusive to it.

Kuattro

Augur
I still don't understand why anyone cares. I usually side with gamers on their crusades but I don't understand why anyone would make a big deal out of having to use a different store rather than contributing to Gaben's obese girth and near monopoly on game sales. It makes 0 difference to me what store I use to buy a game. It sucks that EGS doesn't supply forums for their games but that's not a big enough complaint to make me bitch about a game being exclusive to it.

Well, to me at least, Epic's shenanigans are deleterious in two ways:

One, they're bringing the equivalent to the shitty console wars to PC (there were people incredibly mad because some prior console exclusive was being brought to PCs. I've thankfully forgotten which game it was, but the idiocy came to that). Yes, yes, using the client is free an everything. But you know, and I know, that if there's money to be made by limiting access to games in any way, these leeches, the Sweeneys, the Riccitiellos and yes, the Newells of the world, are, sooner or later, going to try to bend people over and ram their greedy hands all the way up the kitty. Let them get away with horse armors, and you end up with today's video game industry. Let them get away with exclusive distribution deals and all that crap, and things are probably going to end up badly, as they always do.

Second, and linked to what I've just said. You know what Epic is doing by giving money to indie developers so they can finish their games, publish them, and commercialize them (exclusively in their own client, of course). They're buying a controlling interest in those indie developers. Granted, not directly, but what is preventing Epic from telling those indies what they should develop and not, what they should add to their games and what not, the next time those indies are in dire straits because they didn't get killed by failure the first time around, since Epic's money saved them, and now they need, once more, to be bailed out by Epic? Do you honestly trust the CEO of a multi billion company with that kind of control over the video game market not to take advantage of it? The way I see it, the only thing preventing such a result is the good will of a person who has achieved his position by being the most psychopathic animal of the pack. The good will of a CEO.

Valve is a bit like the catholic church. They will try to get away with as much as they can (like paid mods), but, after the revolutions of the XIX century, they know what follows when they see the people rolling the guillotine into the public square, and they know how to modulate the bullshit to surf the wave of discontent without actually going under it (it remains to be seen what will happen when Newell finally keels over and dies from the massive coronary that's been chasing him for years of course) . I do not see such modulation with Epic.

Don't get me wrong, I do not abide bitching or harassing (although at times there are those who are literally screaming for it, like the developers of that Ouroboros game of whatever the fuck it's called that wrote that passive-agressive post and managed to piss off everybody with their cuntiness) or having a fit, I simply do not support such practices, choose to spend my money elsewhere, and move on, like a gentleman :obviously:, but I find Epic pretty distasteful, and I would like it very much if the sequel to Kingdom Come, a game I enjoyed very much, or any other game developed by Warhorse, was kept as far away from any of this bullshit as possible.

Paul_cz

Arcane
So I am watching new gamedev comedy show Mythic Quest (nice to see Abed again) and it features quite a few shots from Kingdom Come, which is super cool, although I did not see any credit in the credits, which is weird.

I've been out of the loop for a bit, but wasn't Warhorse Studios bought by Koch? As in, the same Koch that took Epic's money with Metro's exclusivity and yanked it out from Steam a couple weeks before release, and then launched a press campaign against anyone moaning about it?

I'd very much expect an exclusivity deal with Epic if that's the case.

Yes Warhorse was acquired by Embracer and is under Koch/Deep Silver. And yes Koch went with Epic on Metro and couple other games. It is possible they will want to go with Epic again if they still offer these deals in 2022 or whenever. On the other hand, maybe Warhorse will be allowed to decide this for themselves, who knows.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Some people don't like the idea of exclusivity in general. Which, like, 'k.

Some people want to have all their games in one place. IMHO that boat sailed 10 years ago....but 'k.

I for one hate how barebones the EGS still is, even after a year. I'm an achievement whore so I miss those. Also cloud saves become a standard and most games on EGS still don't have those. I don't particularly miss forums, altho they would be nice, and I don't give a singular fuck about ratings. But cheevos and cloud saves are a big reason I don't like EGS. As soon as they implement those imma be neutral chaotic about EGS.

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
One, they're bringing the equivalent to the shitty console wars to PC.

It's really not the same thing though. That's sensationalism. Console exclusivity locks games to particular set of hardware and restricts what platform you can run a game on. Store exclusivity doesn't keep you from running your games on your PC. It's not limiting your access in any way. In fact from what I hear EGS games work without the client running if you so choose. Or at least some of them do.

Yes, yes, using the client is free an everything. But you know, and I know, that if there's money to be made by limiting access to games in any way, these leeches, the Sweeneys, the Riccitiellos and yes, the Newells of the world, are, sooner or later, going to try to bend people over and ram their greedy hands all the way up the kitty. Let them get away with horse armors, and you end up with today's video game industry. Let them get away with exclusive distribution deals and all that crap, and things are probably going to end up badly, as they always do.

Isn't this less likely to happen with more competition? EGS exclusivity only lasts for one year and does provide more competition. Before now it was pretty much just Steam unless you wanted the rare GOG release or old games.

Second, and linked to what I've just said. You know what Epic is doing by giving money to indie developers so they can finish their games, publish them, and commercialize them (exclusively in their own client, of course). They're buying a controlling interest in those indie developers. Granted, not directly, but what is preventing Epic from telling those indies what they should develop and not, what they should add to their games and what not, the next time those indies are in dire straits because they didn't get killed by failure the first time around, since Epic's money saved them, and now they need, once more, to be bailed out by Epic? Do you honestly trust the CEO of a multi billion company with that kind of control over the video game market not to take advantage of it? The way I see it, the only thing preventing such a result is the good will of a person who has achieved his position by being the most psychopathic animal of the pack. The good will of a CEO.

If they need Epic money to complete their first game then that's fine and doesn't open the door to any kind of control from Epic. This can actually be a good thing to help a new set of devs get their company off the ground assuming it's a one time deal. If they have to continue to rely on it because the sales are so low that they can't say "screw you!" and go to another store with later releases then they deserve to fail anyway.

Valve is a bit like the catholic church. They will try to get away with as much as they can (like paid mods), but, after the revolutions of the XIX century, they know what follows when they see the people rolling the guillotine into the public square, and they know how to modulate the bullshit to surf the wave of discontent without actually going under it (it remains to be seen what will happen when Newell finally keels over and dies from the massive coronary that's been chasing him for years of course) . I do not see such modulation with Epic.

I agree with you here and also worry what might happen when Gaben keels over from his unhealthy lifestyle. This is why I'm not going to complain about new competition and act like some kind of brand loyalist consumer like many gamers are doing.

Don't get me wrong, I do not abide bitching or harassing (although at times there are those who are literally screaming for it, like the developers of that Ouroboros game of whatever the fuck it's called that wrote that passive-agressive post and managed to piss off everybody with their cuntiness) or having a fit, I simply do not support such practices, choose to spend my money elsewhere, and move on, like a gentleman :obviously:, but I find Epic pretty distasteful, and I would like it very much if the sequel to Kingdom Come, a game I enjoyed very much, or any other game developed by Warhorse, was kept as far away from any of this bullshit as possible.

That's fine. We can agree to disagree on this one I guess because it's not a big deal to me either way. I don't care where you spend your money. I just get tired of seeing all the bitching about it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's annoying but i agree it's not anywhere near as bad as having to buy some hardware just to run one game, which often happens with consoles.

deama

Prophet
I reckon store exclusivity will evlove in the future to what console exclusivity is now, or similiar. So basically, EGS will uninstall steam (or fuck with the files) and vice versa.

deuxhero

Arcane
Playing after buying it a few sales ago but being occupied with my other games. It's annoying that The Hunt Begins starts immediately after The Prey, even though there's (allegedly, none of the food I was carrying progressed in spoilage) a time gap between the two. This wouldn't be so bad later in the game, or if there was a longer time limit to report to the captain, but after The Prey the player has come into their first real spot of money (unless they exploited the prologue), is likely carrying a bunch of loot and would want to make some purchases. Being able to dump the stuff onto your horse avoids overburdening the player, but this is pretty sloopy design.

Playing A Woman's Lot DLC. I immediately notice you can buy a weapon and Kunesh has no plot protection. This is bizzare since Henry (at least, haven't checked others) does. I'm disappointed there's no time paradox achievement or anything.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Yes Warhorse was acquired by Embracer and is under Koch/Deep Silver. And yes Koch went with Epic on Metro and couple other games. It is possible they will want to go with Epic again if they still offer these deals in 2022 or whenever. On the other hand, maybe Warhorse will be allowed to decide this for themselves, who knows.

Really? Then they are fucked for good. Up to now their only redeeming quality was their relative independence. Maybe now they even turn out sequel after sequel and become the new Bethesda.

Who knows, Kingdom Come Popamole was already a huge disappointment, the next game could be their Oblivion equivalent.

deuxhero

Arcane
Got enough money for a proper set of armor though a lot of random stuff. Killed a bunch of bandits and trained till I got the strength to use a proper hunting bow, which is dramaticly more powerful than the tutorial bow. Got a quest to destroy a bandit camp at the base of a wooded hill. I snuck to the top of the hill and fired arrows into the camp. Killed 2 of the bandits before they even realized where I was, and got a third while he was looking for me and a fourth as he ran up the hill. The last, their leader, decided to run rather than try to fight me. Since I combined the perk that increase sprint speed at cost of stamina and the one that decreased stamine use when sprinting if you've repaired your footwear, I easily chased him down and stabbed him the back. This saved me from having to fight an armored opponent. Used the money I got here and from the other camps to buy a new horse+saddle (will spend the next bit of money on improving the rest of my horse kit).

Also the ending to Woman's Lot pisses me off. The dog is good enough in a fight to make killing lone Cuman's not only possible, but not all that difficult, and with enough distance between them, multiple Cumans in one fight. After you've just spent hours watching it hobble a bunch of armored, professional, soldiers repeatedly it's frankly retarded to have it die to a single barely armored bandit because it stands there yapping instead of attacking. Your character isn't even that bad a fighter by this point and killing that same bandit 1v1 instead of hiding is pretty reasonable. The same plot outcome would be possible with less retardation by having the dog sacrifice itself to take a blow for its master or to distract a bunch of enemies.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If this rings a bell you're fucking old.

Strangely, I've only played the game like for a day or two at the most, back in the mid-1990s, but for some reason I've never forgotten it and regularly kept wishing for a sequel or a modern remake. There must've been something quite special about it.

SlamDunk

Arcane
rating_bounce.gif

deuxhero

Arcane
It really feels like a more in depth cooking system was cut from the game fairly late. Item descriptions regularly mention their use in dishes, several food items are primarily seasonings, and some cooked items talk about the way they've been cooked (cooked apple says it would have been better as an apple pie).

Two years already? I was never able to cope with their decision to castrate the original graphics quality from the beta in the release. The game still lies on my hd, I never played it for more than 10 minutes at a time. Instead I regularly started the beta again and gazed upon the uncomparable beauty of these woods.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Two years already? I was never able to cope with their decision to castrate the original graphics quality from the beta in the release. The game still lies on my hd, I never played it for more than 10 minutes at a time. Instead I regularly started the beta again and gazed upon the uncomparable beauty of these woods.

If they kept the graphic fidelity from the beta you'd need HAL 9000 to run the finished game.

If they kept the graphic fidelity from the beta you'd need HAL 9000 to run the finished game.
The beta ran not too badly on a moderatly powerful computer. I heard they crippled it because of the consoles but I'm not sure if that's true.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom