Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stoneshard - open world roguelike RPG - now available on Early Access

I've been playing it for the past hour, and the tutorial is more fun than most RPGs I've played recently. It's got that Nethacky vibe but with better graphics/production values, and more tactical depth to combat.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=625960
Hotfix #2
Stoneshard - Wayfinder

Hello!

This is our second hotfix, dealing with the most frequent crash reported so far (80% of total reports).

BUGFIXES
  • Fixed the most occurent crash related to renting

VISUALS
  • Some visaul fixes for morning mist

BALANCE
  • Reduced renting price by 60%

Current save system is the most controversial issue, as it seems from discussions and reviews, and we would like to write a post regarding it soon, explaining the technical reasons behind it and how it will be alleviated in the future with introduction of the Caravan, roadside inns and other possible saving spots. For now, we've decided to adjust renting prices to ease it a bit.

Stay tuned for the soon updates!

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow this is much cooler than I thought. Once you get into the town it is like a full on RPG.

Really cool, the set characters have some unique back story and unique items. I wonder how they are going to implement custom characters if they have any heirloom items.

tripedal

Augur
Tried it out for a bit, not my cup of tea. The graphics are nice and the skill trees are kind of interesting, but other than that...Too slow, too much identical trash combat, the gear is all of the "+3% to damage, +1% hp" variety, the boss uses the fucking "get the guy to run into a wall to stun him" mechanic which is just so absurdly played out at this point, and the save system is downright insane.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Finished the tutorial and played around a bit... the art and presentation are really amazing, and the game shows a lot of promise.

BUT it does need more interesting enemies/areas, a lot of tuning and balance as well. It has bullshit like an enemy that stuns you for 3 turns with a single hit, stun-locking you to death, and the injury system is basically a gigantic RNG death machine, so playing with permadeath feels kinda unfair.

I hope that during early access they find a better way to balance injuries & food/water. A dungeon can be tiny or massive, and inventory space is very limited, so it's kinda dull realizing that you are not well-prepared enough mid-way and then having to either go all the way back to town (safest bet) or just risk reaching the end. It's not a tactical decision, is a "do I want to walk all the way back & forth?" laziness issue. That's boring.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Are wilderness and dungeons randomly generated? And how many dungeon tilesets are there at the moment?

Game sounds horrible though, when it comes to itemization. Nobody cares about +2% more dmg. Really.

Modron

Arcane
Ignore the spergs items are more than 2% stuff, they have set parameters and clear progressions. Each item type has tiers eg: shiv, dirk, baselard, rondel daggers where their base damage increases, as well as a variety of stats like crit, armorpen, armor damage, fumble chance, block chance, et cetera. The only thing that varies percentage wise is the random magic enchants on items.

You're not farming for some fabled dirk that is 1% better than other dirks if that was the impression they are giving you.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Well just died and lost 1 hour of clearing maps. It was the bandit camp mission at the fort seems like so many guys and then having to do 3 floors more. Oh well I can do it again later.

One thing I noticed is there a tailor in mannshire? Can't seem to find it. Also repair costs are way too high they'll need to be adjusted along with the different vendors in general. Weapons don't seem balanced, I think one handed swords are the best.

I'm close to finishing the content I think, I have been playing with the game at double speed just so I can walk faster.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Tried the demo. Itemization is actually pretty good, as well as the skills and the magic stuff.

It is still is a simplistic rogue-like hack'n slash though - probably one of the best in that genre, but still. Unless, there is more to it that I haven't seen yet.

Also, the savegame system is obviously not good. I hope they change it.

Xunwael

Educated
First-save, tried geo/pyromancer lady. Magic (fire, at least) just seems overpowered. Cooldowns don't matter much when you can just run away while they tick down. Bursting all your damage followed by a period of downtime doesn't matter much when you can just stand around while they tick down, or even just run away while they do. She also had very good survivability with a duelist's buckler and a defensive main hand, giving her really high avoidance. So she can stand there and melee a couple of normal goons just fine in a pinch, though obviously you don't want to do that since you'll take a bunch of wounds. Eventually her hubris got her killed, when she tried to fight a bear during a rainstorm.

Maybe magic shouldn't tick down while you run or something. It's not that huge a problem right now since they eventually catch up to you (she was never gonna kill that bear in that rainstorm, it simply had too much health), but with more magic schools added in the future shit might get real out of control with the utility (assuming the other schools aren't just going to be colour-changed damage).

Second-save, tried the hunter-guy. Died to the first enemy I encountered, some soldier just sitting by the road. Shot him in the face like 5 times but then he reached melee and obliterated me. Archery seems kinda crappy, with its low damage and massive accuracy penalty (or wasting a turn taking aim). But hard to tell from literally just one fight.

Third-save, tried knight lady. She also died to the first enemies she encountered. Dude with mace just stunned her and his buddies bet her to death. Should probably try greatswords instead of sword-and-board with her so she doesn't have to stand there praying to RNGesus that the enemy doesn't random into some practically-instakill ability in the 10 turns it takes you to end him.

Fourth-save, tried berserker guy. He made it all the way to the 4th task before he perished. Unsurprisingly, maxing damage is better at keeping you alive than maxing defense. Dude was alright against one enemy at a time, but against multiples in a row he became a whirlwind of death that obliterated anything in 2 turns max. His trait doesn't show up as a buff, so it's kind of hard to keep track of, but it updates the stats so it's definitely active. Obviously weaker than magic since he still *did* take damage, where the wizard rarely if ever got scratched, but he killed everything so fast that the damage/wounds were mostly regenerated passively. Ultimately, he got too big for his breeches and decided on a detour into a point of interest, where he encountered some kind of rogue enemy at a bandit camp who teleported around like an anime villain and murdered him in like three turns.

I guess teleporting enemies might pose a problem for the infinitely-kiting magic-users as well. That would be pretty lame too, though. A rock-paper-scissors where you instantly die the second you encounter your counter isn't very exciting.

On a disappointing note, the tutorial/intro is much more exciting than the rest of the game. The save-point being right next to the battle instead of minutes away in town, the 10-15 times more EXP gain showering you with levels also makes it feel more satisfying, and finally, the bossfight is actually a bossfight, not just another generic NPC but this one has a name and very slightly bigger stats.

Game certainly has huge potential, but it seems years away from being as great a game the whole way through as it is now during the intro section. Still enjoying it for what it is right now though.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played the archer dude and managed to clear the first dungeon. Used archer to soften up targets, than I used axe and shield in melee. You can find both for free in the guards barrack. Worked out pretty well. The only really dicey bit was the dungeon boss. He hit damn hard, so that was a close call. Overall the game feels really good, I'm only hampered by there being no story. Or well there is some, but it's not complete. I found the prologue very intriguing and want to continue with that to the end before I spoil myself too much, so I'm probably gonna take a break to avoid the burn out. But yes, seems great so far.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
How long is it at an Early Access point? Is the entire game open to play? Most roguelike EA games you can basically do everything, but this one (judging by the tutorial) is a little more on rails.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
thought I'd soften up the bandit boss by means of shooting some arrows his way, but I underestimated the range of his heroic charge and the sonuvabitch oneshotted me from across the room

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
How long is it at an Early Access point? Is the entire game open to play? Most roguelike EA games you can basically do everything, but this one (judging by the tutorial) is a little more on rails.
Looking at the road map, it's the tutorial (which is excellent) + the world map with 2 types of dungeons and 16 quests:

To fully explore all the content with one character, you’ll need around 7-10 hours, which is roughly translated into gaining 8-10 experience levels.

Currently in-game content includes:
  • Two settlements - Osbrook and Mannshire
  • Two types of dungeons
  • Three enemy factions: brigands, the undead, proselytes
  • 16 types of contracts
  • 200+ items and 100+ abilities
  • Hunting
  • Health system
  • Economy

But the roadmap looks good:

99jMR69.png

I had fun for a while, but it's probably best to uninstall and come back in mid-late 2021 for the full experience.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Game looks great but I'm not a fan of playing unfinished stuff. The roadmap makes me want to wait until next year to buy it. Although right now I can pick it up for like $11 after using the coupon from DD. Or it could be bundled in a year!

Harthwain

Magister
The tutorial (Prologue) is on rails, but the actual game seems to be much more open. Judging by the Roadmap they have yet to add "Global Map Mode", so it's still probably not as open as it will be in the final version of the game.

Ranarama

Learned
This is officially the slowest turn based game ever. And forces you to use mouse controls?

I'm gonna get bored of watching the little guy slowly make his way around the levels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom