Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

Modron

Arcane
You should give Bound by Flame a shot I found it to be the best Spiders game I played, certainly had the best combat, granted the setting isn't as cool as the Technomancer's and Mars War Logs series' is. (I have yet to play Greedfall waiting for a deeper discount).

Zeriel

Arcane
I actually thought Bound by Flame had a really cool setting once you get past the premise seeming tired. I wish they had explored it more, that's the curse of Spiders games though, if you end up really liking a particular game it feels bitter because you know they will never make a follow up.

Modron

Arcane
I actually thought Bound by Flame had a really cool setting once you get past the premise seeming tired. I wish they had explored it more, that's the curse of Spiders games though, if you end up really liking a particular game it feels bitter because you know they will never make a follow up.
Technomancer is a sequel to Mars War Logs and they were going to make an Of Orcs and Men sequel but seemed to have abandoned that in favor of Cyanide having Styx games developed (probably a good thing anyways). So you never know they seem to followup fairly often, granted they haven't made a sequel to that western jrpg Fairy game either.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I do not think the combat was anything special but i did like the armor and health separation, at least in the first levels. But i think armor should have protected much more than it did though. Initially i had to switch between a heavy weapon that destroyed enemies' armor and a "normal" weapon for after the armor had been destroyed, so i had to look for replacement and upgrades for both weapons and keep them in mind in combat, but after a few levels i could do so much damage that armor didn't matter much. I guess it makes more sense this way from a realism perspective, but from a gameplay perspective it meant that after a while i just ignored the second weapon. Perhaps the reason they didn't make the armor stronger was because it didn't seem like the AI (both enemies and friendlies) knew how to target armor :-P.

I did a "rifles to destroy armor and then running in with quick sword strikes" build, and it worked really well and stayed fun/relevant the whole game. On hard mode, with bigger enemies at least, it was still important to focus on armor first. The main problem I had with it though is there were enemies... like the final boss I believe... where the armor was such the focus that I basically rolled around shooting rifle shots the whole battle, which felt a little silly. It was much more "cool" thematically to rifle an armored knight from a distance, punching a whole in his armor and making him stagger, and then running in and cutting his throat.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Technomancer is a sequel to Mars War Logs and they were going to make an Of Orcs and Men sequel but seemed to have abandoned that in favor of Cyanide having Styx games developed (probably a good thing anyways). So you never know they seem to followup fairly often, granted they haven't made a sequel to that western jrpg Fairy game either.

Technomancer is not a sequel to Mars: War Logs. They are in the same universe, but the events of both games unfold in the same time, on two sides of the front of the war between a water corporations: Aurora and Abundance.

And Styx stealth games are prequels to of Orcs and Men, I think.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You should give Bound by Flame a shot I found it to be the best Spiders game I played, certainly had the best combat, granted the setting isn't as cool as the Technomancer's and Mars War Logs series' is. (I have yet to play Greedfall waiting for a deeper discount).

I tried to play Bound by Flame but i have a visual glitch with the UI showing corrupted textures. It seems to be an issue with AMD's newer "2020" drivers as i've seen only comments about it from AMD users since January. I'll make a post about it on GOG and see if they get devs to fix it, otherwise i'll try to find some workaround later.

In the meanwhile i'll probably try something different and hopefully more sci-fi as i had my fill of fantasy for now :-P

I did a "rifles to destroy armor and then running in with quick sword strikes" build, and it worked really well and stayed fun/relevant the whole game. On hard mode, with bigger enemies at least, it was still important to focus on armor first. The main problem I had with it though is there were enemies... like the final boss I believe... where the armor was such the focus that I basically rolled around shooting rifle shots the whole battle, which felt a little silly. It was much more "cool" thematically to rifle an armored knight from a distance, punching a whole in his armor and making him stagger, and then running in and cutting his throat.

I did a "swords with hammers for armor" build, i didn't use guns much except when i was very low health and wanted to build up some fury to use the special action that makes you faster and restores some health and armor (...which i mainly used as a secondary health button - and now that i think about it, three of my quickslots were about restoring health: health potion, fury health+armor restore and magic health+armor restore :-P).

After a while i got all the interesting skills and started growing towards the heavy two handed weapons. Once i maxed that i found some axe that did massive damage (after upgrading it) and replaced my sword and hammer.

I did play the game on normal difficulty though. In general i play games on normal in my first run because they get the most testing (important especially on budget titles) and for most games all the difficulty setting do is raise enemies' health and/or lower yours - which i do not find that compelling. Exceptions are games where at higher difficulties you get more enemies (*especially* if it is in games with hand-placed enemies, though that is mainly done in action games... and mainly in older action games like Doom and Quake :-P) and gameplay alterations (e.g. harder settings change the map itself to make traversal harder). Also it is almost always what the developers intended ("almost" because i distinctly remember Quake 2's manual mentioning that the game was intended to be played in Hard mode... which is something i do not remember in any other game :-P).

flushfire

Augur
So I played around an hour of this, and I can't believe they managed to make the combat feel worse than Technomancer. Is it just me? Everything feels floaty. I got used to the speed but it still feels awkward. Lunge animation seems able to cross the entire screen. Does it get better?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I did play the game on normal difficulty though. In general i play games on normal in my first run because they get the most testing (important especially on budget titles) and for most games all the difficulty setting do is raise enemies' health and/or lower yours - which i do not find that compelling. Exceptions are games where at higher difficulties you get more enemies (*especially* if it is in games with hand-placed enemies, though that is mainly done in action games... and mainly in older action games like Doom and Quake :-P) and gameplay alterations (e.g. harder settings change the map itself to make traversal harder). Also it is almost always what the developers intended ("almost" because i distinctly remember Quake 2's manual mentioning that the game was intended to be played in Hard mode... which is something i do not remember in any other game :-P).

Whenever there are 4 difficulty settings... in Greedfall's case: easy, normal, hard and extreme... I tend to pick the third one. In my experience when there are 4, "normal" is almost always too easy. For me the combat was one of the best parts of Greedfall, as JDR just said, and I wanted it to be challenging and demand attention the whole game. I maybe should have played on extreme, honestly, as hard was rarely difficult. I get the idea of wanting to play the "intended way" though, and most games present that as normal, so not knocking you at all or trying to measure dicks. I was just saying I played on hard to add context to why I thought armor was relevant the whole game.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

Whenever there are 4 difficulty settings... in Greedfall's case: easy, normal, hard and extreme... I tend to pick the third one. In my experience when there are 4, "normal" is almost always too easy. For me the combat was one of the best parts of Greedfall, as JDR just said, and I wanted it to be challenging and demand attention the whole game. I maybe should have played on extreme, honestly, as hard was rarely difficult. I get the idea of wanting to play the "intended way" though, and most games present that as normal, so not knocking you at all or trying to measure dicks. I was just saying I played on hard to add context to why I thought armor was relevant the whole game.

I think the problem with difficulties these days is they're always balanced for so-called "critical path" aka most people simply play though game's mandatory main quest and some low number of side quests. If you're actually someone who plays games by doing everything you can to get the most out of the game you're almost guaranteed to bust said balancing wide open. Be it in character power, resources, etc.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

ESsugoHXQAIfplQ.jpg

cruel

Cipher
Similar case for me. Level 23, 29 hours played, zero motivation to continue. I started playing this in December, 3 months ago. Strong contender for the most boring RPG I ever played.

No idea why this oscillates around 8/10 average score - magic. Fundamentals aspects of any decent RPG game are broken (itemization and exploration).

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I recently purchased Greedfall.

The good
  • Not having cooldowns on magic and on firearms is a huge plus for any modern game
  • Good reputation system and solving a quest in different ways impact your reputation
  • The theme and atmosphere. Theleme is heavily inspired by Spanish kingdoms during "reconquista"
  • The combat considering that was made for consoles is good
  • There are "N" ways to solve the same quest
  • Some bosses are hard.
  • Armor is gorgeous. There are no carnavalesque armor. Armor looks like what a Spanish "conquistador" would use.
  • And you can customize your armor in "N" possible ways, changing the paldrons for eg.
  • I managed to run on my GTS 450. The game is very optimized and the graphics even on low aren't bad.
The bad
  • No way to aim with firearms and magic
  • No reload animations for firearms
  • Most puzzles are annoying
  • Some bullet spongee enemies
  • The game isn't that big(20 hours according to hltb)
  • Leveling and character customization is too simplistic. Extremely better than other modern RPG's like inquisition
Things that are just my preference

• I prefer slow magic that deals insane damage like Gothic 1 over the Greedfall magic who is very fast but not that deadly
  • The itemization where you get like 2x more damage just by upgrading a single item. I prefer when getting a +2 axe is a huge improvement over a normal axe like D&D. And +2 means just more 10% chance to hit and more 2 damage per strike.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
  • Theleme is heavily inspired by Spanish kingdoms during "reconquista"

• Armor looks like what a Spanish "conquistador" would use.

I realize that sorcerers are all about Cha, not Int, but you might want to brush up on history to realize that "reconquista" and "conquistadors" (in the way you mean them)
are from two different epochs. The Reconquista was over long before the first conquistadors brought holy light to the man-eating savages that were aztecs and incas.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I realize that sorcerers are all about Cha, not Int, but you might want to brush up on history to realize that "reconquista" and "conquistadors" (in the way you mean them)

I know this. But the game is fantasy. Is not uncommon on fantasy games to have armor for one historical period and another twisted in the same. For Honor for eg, pick late medieval knights against vikings... Thélème is most likely inspired by the Spanish kingdoms during the Reconquista. https://greedfall.gamepedia.com/Thélème

Firearms wasn't widely used during reconquista BUT during colonization, firearms was widely used.

PS : Spaniards also encountered other tribes of natives in the new world. A Fuegian is completely different than a Aztec.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
  • Theleme is heavily inspired by Spanish kingdoms during "reconquista"

• Armor looks like what a Spanish "conquistador" would use.

are from two different epochs. The Reconquista was over long before the first conquistadors brought holy light to the man-eating savages that were aztecs and incas.
Ahhh actually they are not. The exploration of the new world begun just as the reconquista ended. But yeah,their starting stages are far apart.

Thélème is most likely inspired by the Spanish kingdoms during the Reconquista. https://greedfall.gamepedia.com/Thélème

Well, most likely this gamepedia (is it even supposed to be a convincing source?) trivia editor had no idea what he's talking about.
The Spiders themselves stated that Greedfall designs are inspired by 17th century. So yeah, La Conquista, not Reconquista; see the difference. ;)
Yeah most likely some dumb journo that doesn't know basic history.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Who cares particularly what variety of conquistador it's inspired by, the armours look great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom