Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The oldest WRPG with decent writing

Boomer_007

Novice
In Ultima 7 we have both – lots of text in game (dialogs, books) and paper "The book of Fellowship" which critically important and contains lore, map with location names, rune translations and spell descriptions. Many of this information is absent in actual game. And this is pretty early example (1992) - it's like "transition phase" between "all text in manual" and "all text in game" eras. Nowadays we have things like Mass Effect with "Codex" inside (Reminds me Civilopedia from Civilization), but it’s still lore dump and still separated from the actual game.

Ysaye

Arbiter
I liked the story in "The Immortal"; mechanically it a simple dungeon crawling descent but there are a few twists in the characters of the world and the objective of the main character.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
How many actual storyfag CRPGs are there? 3? I don't just mean games like Mask of the Betrayer, where effort was put into the story, but games where there's negligible gameplay in deference to the story. CRPGs went wrong when Bioware decided to add dating sims to the mix in BG2.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
My vote goes to Krondor but if pressed for something else, there is another 1992 action rpg from SSI called The Summoning that had a short story in the manual that was a lot better than a short story in a game manual from 1992 has any business being.
The short story that lamely rips off the St Crispin's Day speech from Henry V? It's certainly an example of good writing - just not that of the person who wrote the short story.

I loved the gold box manuals so I am probably biased towards those games. At the very least the Curse of the Azure Bonds had some great drama moments when the bonds compelled you into shitty situations. Also - Moander.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Please elaborate.

What ERYFKRAD said. But my retrospective is here. Recent edits have heightened criticism. Over the years, I've modded out most of PS:T's dialogue, which let's me play the game in peace, like IWD.
Sooo... you removed the dialogue in a game where the focus was on dialogue and the combat was absolute ass?

In response to the original question, I quite liked Wasteland and Dragon Wars’ manual text and iirc the steam version of both of these actually adds it into the game in the form of a clickable link that opens a sub-window in the game window. Ergo I consider them to be part of the in-game story and writing, since their removal and placing into a separate paragraph book was obviously a concession to the space limitations of a 5+1/4” or even a 3+1/2” floppy.

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
The earliest well written crpg was ドラゴンエイジ:インクイジション, released in 2014.
Either that, or Star Control 2, which was released half a year before Betrayel at Krondor.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Tim Cain isn't right on everything.

I'll pitch in a vote for Dragon Wars as well - I still fondly remember the opening fight where you can choose to turn around and try to take on the guards, but the game warns you about them looking like they would kick in your spleen... and then you engage combat with them and the game describes the guards as 'expert spleen-kickers'.

Wayward Son

Ahh good old Dragon Wars. From a time when humor was allowed and a game didn’t have to be 100% SERIUZ BIZNISS all the fucking time

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
If we stretch the definition of RPG a little, then Alter Ego is certainly a contender. And it's clearly more of an RPG than the late Ultima games (like U7 or Martian Dreams) or even Lands of Lore in my opinion.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Sooo... you removed the dialogue in a game where the focus was on dialogue and the combat was absolute ass?

Don't worry, storyfag. As a lone-wolf commentator going up against massive monetized sites, I'm only ranked fifth in the world:

pst.jpg

I promise not to use my growing influence to devalue the underserved legacy of PS:T.

Wayward Son

Apparently you’re illiterate. The only thing worth seeing in that game was the dialogue. You’re removing it so you can play the REALLY shitty gameplay. That’s like the opposite end of the autism spectrum from when someone puts IWD:EE on Narrative mode. Same shit, opposite end.

Boomer_007

Novice
No mention of Quest for Glory? :decline:
One of the very few series, old or new, where NPCs felt like they had actual personalities. Plus it hits the very delicate balance of funny, serious and charming, which is no small feat in itself.

If we mention Quest for Glory, maybe we also need to mention Neuromancer from 1988.

V_K

Arcane
No mention of Quest for Glory? :decline:
One of the very few series, old or new, where NPCs felt like they had actual personalities. Plus it hits the very delicate balance of funny, serious and charming, which is no small feat in itself.

If we mention Quest for Glory, maybe we also need to mention Neuromancer from 1988.
I might be wrong on that, but my understanding is it's much less of an RPG because you need to get specific skill upgrades in specific order to get through the main quest - i.e. there's no variation in viable builds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom