Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 2 Beta

hexer

OK, let's try this - maybe something comes out of it.

It was the summer/autumn of 1998., a month or two before Fallout 2's release.

The 15-year old me was a mischievous teen, my parents just got divorced but all I cared for in this world was the sequel to the first true RPG I played - Fallout.
I knew my best friend's parents would buy him Fallout 2 and that he would eventually pass it over to me.
But the devil never sleeps! I picked up a local pirate's game catalog to see if the game has already been made "available."
I browsed the catalog and something VERY interesting caught my eye - Fallout 2 Beta.

So I picked up the phone and called the shady pirate.
We spoke for a short time about the beta and I remember how he emphasized that it was an incomplete version of the game
and I might be better off waiting for a full release which was "just around the corner".
I shrugged it off, a few months later Fallout 2 was released, my friend got it and I eventually played it.

I completely forgot about the Beta during all these years ...
until yesterday when I browsed Interplay's old Fallout 2 website and noticed this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20000902161638/www.interplay.com/fallout2/log2.html

Feargus said:
10/26/98

I have been getting a lot of E-mail from people who have "gotten" the "BETA" off of the net. Just to answer a bunch of people's questions all at once:

1) This was a preview version that we sent to the press about four months ago. They were not supposed to release it to the net.

2) The game is VERY different then it is in that version. In fact the whole first part of the game is totally different. In the final version you do not start out in a cave as you do in the preview version from the net.

3) Thanks for the E-mails from people who want to report bugs in it, but since it's four months old a lot of the code has changed.

Hope that clears some things up,

-Feargus (fallout2@interplay.com)

So Feargus found out and wasn't too happy about the leak.

Also, I remember seeing this image from time to time.
Notice how it says Fallout II 0.5 in the lower right corner and the menu items are on the right side, just like in the first Fallout.

711-1108658667-3533e800f11fa8c9aa5a02ce9ac4048b.jpg

I know it has been over 20 years, HDs die, CDs get broken, and people forget.

But, the million dollar question is - does anyone have Fallout 2 Beta, knows someone who still might have it or just simply played it and could tell us more about it?

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
you can try your luck at the old games ru forums; they're great at archiving old games and documenting and preserving prototype builds

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
So I picked up the phone and called the shady pirate.
We spoke for a short time about the beta and I remember how he emphasized that it was an incomplete version of the game
and I might be better off waiting for a full release which was "just around the corner".
I see this pirate isn't exactly a salesman. Maybe you'd still have it stashed away somewhere if he was.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I'm using the Wayback Machine to go through the old Interplay forums and find other mentions of the demo, but it's not panning out well. The thing is that the board messages appeared to be using a collapsible format, with each post having a title and text. The problem is that only the titles got archived, not the text. See this for instance:

INTERPLAY, PEASE READ. - Technosaur 18:07:23 10/20/98 (8)

• • Fixed - Chris Avellone - Interplay 21:52:50 10/20/98 (4)
WHAT DID YOU FIX, CHRIS?? It annoys me that I'll never know.

Edit: Forgot to post mentions of the beta.

Dogmeat & Fallout 2 beta - Titan 21:37:19 10/12/98 (22)

https://web.archive.org/web/20001012121933/http://www.interplay.com/fallout2/archlist.html (archive #15)
There's one post from an Interplay person asking where people are getting it from. As I said above, only the post titles survived, not the text.

I realize that none of this is very helpful.

Last edited:

Lexx

Cipher
This is the first time ever that I hear there had been a Fallout 2 beta leak. Guess the internet does forget at times.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
is that the one where there was no sprite for a shovel, instead showing a pink rectangle with white placeholder text?

hexer

is that the one where there was no sprite for a shovel, instead showing a pink rectangle with white placeholder text?

Hmm.. haven't heard about that one... maybe it was just a bug.
I know the shovel sprites were already in the first Fallout, but they haven't turned them into inventory items until Fallout 2.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
This is more related to Fallout 1 beta, but awhile back agris and me were trying to track down this pre-relase version of Fallout.

screenshot51.jpg

It boasts a stylized right-click menu, more similar to the radial menu in Planescape Torment. Also, punch and kick are both selectable from the same panel. I was immediately attracted to this older version of the UI and think it's superior. Perhaps it's not that hard to mod in (?).

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is more related to Fallout 1 beta, but awhile back agris and me were trying to track down this pre-relase version of Fallout.

screenshot51.jpg

It boasts a stylized right-click menu, more similar to the radial menu in Planescape Torment. Also, punch and kick are both selectable from the same panel. I was immediately attracted to this older version of the UI and think it's superior. Perhaps it's not that hard to mod in (?).

I wonder if the attacks menu applied to firearms as well? Like you could select single/burst without having to switch between.

screenshot51.jpg

It's GURPs version. Would be even more fun to find some prerelease Fallout with GURPS still in.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Ok so my shady pirate was a better salesman and told me tbat F2 beta was good and it could be completed. I remember playing it for a while, but it was buggy as hell.
It was fun beating people up with a cattle prod, and oh, the shovel had no icon (cant remember if the icon was pink)

hexer

Ok so my shady pirate was a better salesman and told me tbat F2 beta was good and it could be completed. I remember playing it for a while, but it was buggy as hell.
It was fun beating people up with a cattle prod, and oh, the shovel had no icon (cant remember if the icon was pink)

:yeah:
Can you remember how was the beginning different? There was no Temple of Trials?

screenshot51.jpg

Yes, a GURPS version of Fallout!
Sorry for the crap video quality, no better version exists

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Can you remember how was the beginning different? There was no Temple of Trials?

screenshot51.jpg

Some interesting stuff in that video, aimed burst fire amongst other things.

Would be fascinating to play the GURPS version.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
So there is only way left.

The Codex to choose an ambassador to go to Feargus with an apology letter and with at least $300 in cash to buy the beta.

Last edited:

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet

screenshot51.jpg

There was no Temple definitely, because i remember when the full version came out the first time i went through it (and the animation at the end when you get the V13 jumpsuit).
My memory is very fuzzy but i do remember beating up some raiders in a Den like town, cant remember more sorry.
Oh and the main screen was different than the final version (it was thst 0.50 pic).
Also, i think (not 100% sure) there were no geckos, i remember molerats, them big ones, but no geckos

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom