Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: ATOM RPG

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
giphy.gif

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Well while enjoyable to read, the review is too artsy for a genre such as journalism IMO. If I haven't played the game myself (its just $10 FFS...), I'd rather have a detailed write-up on every aspect, especially mechanics and if they add up to an enjoyable whole. Which they do.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm too lazy to write a detailed review with proper grammar and attempt to pass the linguistic checks.
It's Fallout. Some parts copied blindly. Some parts they tried to change for better or worse, it's a fresh setting.
2 completed playthroughs.
122 hours and increasing.
It's just what I've been expecting without having watched a minute of gameplay outside of the trailers then. If anything will give it originality for me this will be the ex-USSR developers' take on the post-apoc USSR. I'm not much into postmodernism, but I loved the Stalker atmosphere, and I know no one could have achieved it except for people who knew this society from inside.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
The distribution of exps is fucked up and rewards grinding. Go to five different locations to complete a quest. Earns 64 exps. Kill 3 wolves. Earns 200 exps. What should I infer from this? That quests are less important than repetitive trash mobs in the map. It feels underwhelming.

The game needs more informatiion in a couple places. For instance, if I hover the mouse over "withdraw" I want precise information about how this shit works, the penalties, etc. The same can be said about hunger and anything else.

Some minor things would improve the qualife of life of the gameplay significantly, e.g., the dialogue box oftens hides the small box. You earn 100 rubles doing a quest, but you need to close the diaologue box to figure it out how much you earned.
Yeah, we actually noticed some of the quests having defaut rewards or lacking a couple of 0000 in the end sum. Some are gonna be fixed in the big update!

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can agree with that. I was a high IQ curious kid basking in post-Dissolution Russia's culture (flooded at the time by us/japan culture). If you want to get the same experience I recommend you reading Konstantin Vaginov's Satyr Chorus, Works and Days of Svistonov (experience of being a creative high IQ person in times of decay, consuming works of older culture which is long dead but seems to be more lively than decaying husk of what was not long ago), Ivan Shmelyov The Sun of the Dead (fairy tale like experience of a period of global loss of humanity, atomization and cultural depersonalization).
Isn't that pretty dumb to read vagina stuff?!

PrettyDeadman

Can agree with that. I was a high IQ curious kid basking in post-Dissolution Russia's culture (flooded at the time by us/japan culture). If you want to get the same experience I recommend you reading Konstantin Vaginov's Satyr Chorus, Works and Days of Svistonov (experience of being a creative high IQ person in times of decay, consuming works of older culture which is long dead but seems to be more lively than decaying husk of what was not long ago), Ivan Shmelyov The Sun of the Dead (fairy tale like experience of a period of global loss of humanity, atomization and cultural depersonalization).
Isn't that pretty dumb to read vagina stuff?!
It was the smartest decision in my life.

Deleted Member 22431

Poor lurker king was more out of place in this thread than a pair of pumps at a dyke festival.
The review was more out of place than my comments. At least they were about cRPG stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
That's not true. I finished the game five times and most of the kills are just cigarette addicts and accidental trading of live explosives.

You can finish the game without killing any human being.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just got a quest from a "leninist"(which is a cult that believes Lenin was a supernatural being that ate trotsky and stalin when the three of them were secluded in a cabin IIRC) to stop some 'mutants'(which apparently are just regular capitalist people) from melting a lenin statue to sell the metal. There's references like that all over the place, so yeah, it is russian fallout 2.

I don't really dig the writing and most of the quests, I think they're pretty weak overall. However the game does have solid classic cRPG mechanics, which probably explains why I can't put it down.

Its WH40K Imperial Guard pastiche which is in turn the Soviet/WWII Red Army pastiche, I thought it was good way to show how after the fall of civilization certain people and historical figures become a mythical like god king Lenin (reference to God Emperor of WH40K) in this case. It was fun quest and one which gave you car and tons of loot too. As to review it was bit too much intellectualized but nicely read and made Commissar to (re) read Alexander Andreyevich Prokhanov's books. So Spasiba Comrade bataille the game is worth 15 shekels spend and true successor to original Fallouts.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Codex...You have failed me. I say this with a heavy heart and I wish it werent true, but it is.

This review has kept me from buying the game because I believed that it was going to be filled with inside Russian jokes and have too much 'high brown' intellectual bullshit forcing me to click through pages of dialogue I dont give a shit about.

There are pages of dialogue but its all good and relates to the game and if there are references and inside jokes, they are weaved into it in such a way that you cannot even tell. I've seen a few Fallout references but they were placed in a way that made sense to someone who has never played Fallout.

Deleted Member 22431

Codex...You have failed me. I say this with a heavy heart and I wish it werent true, but it is.

This review has kept me from buying the game because I believed that it was going to be filled with inside Russian jokes and have too much 'high brown' intellectual bullshit forcing me to click through pages of dialogue I dont give a shit about.
Pretentious people are terrible creatures.

Wunderbar

Arcane

There are pages of dialogue but its all good and relates to the game and if there are references and inside jokes, they are weaved into it in such a way that you cannot even tell. I've seen a few Fallout references but they were placed in a way that made sense to someone who has never played Fallout.
the game is actually worse if you're Russian, because most of inside jokes are terrible and immersion-breaking.

Deleted Member 22431

the game is actually worse if you're Russian, because most of inside jokes are terrible and immersion-breaking.
The worst aspect of this game is that they spend so much energy trying to make every single NPC unique, but very few of them offer goddam quests. By the time you realise you just waste 20 minutes reading walls of text that will lead to no quest, it’s already too late. The developers feel very strongly about it and won’t acknowledge it was a terrible idea. Most cRPGs will signal to you which NPCs to avoid by making them dummies. They broke this traditional rule and the result is a disappointment.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

So true.

It must be like Fallout 2 for Americans. Here in Russia, we don't get the jokes MCA now repents for.

Deleted Member 22431

God forbid developers put characters in a game that aren't just there to hand out quests, right?
You are right. Instead, they should provide wonderful walls of text so that pretentious developers can fulfill their failed artistic ambitions at the expense of gameplay and the player's spare time. It makes perfect sense.

:prosper:

Saduj

Arcane
The "walls of text" in most cases are short enough to skim through quickly if you're not seeing anything important. Some of the NPCs that don't give quests provide useful info and some conversations that aren't quest related still give XP. It is definitely a matter of personal preference, but I liked the custom NPCs better than having mostly generic NPCs with a few relevant NPCs who give huge info dumps in each location.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom