Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's learn about fighting games and get murdered together.

• Thread starter Generic-Giant-Spider
  • Start date

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Why not Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 instead?
20 year anniversary of MvC2. It is also an eight people (past EVO champs plus some more invited ones) exhibition thingie, rather than a full tournament.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Why not Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 instead?

MvC2 is considered one of the best fighting games and it was one of the main games/attractions during the dark ages of fighting games so Evo kind of owes a lot of its legacy to it. There's also no X-Factor which makes it by default better than UMvC3 to many people.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
By pushing the hurr durr smash no fightan gaem yourself. Smash is a legit fighting game genre end of story. 2D/3D/platform/arena, all fighting games, not that hard. Only edgy children argue otherwise.

Sorry bruh, no one considers Smash a fighting game.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Who was your MAIN CHIGGIN in USF4, aweigh ?

You strike me as a HUGO sorta guy.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Guess? Literally made him my avatar :)

lol I started as a Ryu main literally only because Daigo used him, but then I branched out as I learned the game and picked up stronger fundamentals. Shotos are still my home-base, my comfort food, but I eventually got kinda good with Gen in SF4 (definitely my weirdest pick-up, and I had to sink a ton of hours into Gen combos to get even average with them).

In USF4 the chars I was good with: Ryu, Ken, and basically any char that used shoto archtype. If I wanted to troll online I'd use Evil Ryu and do ambiguous dive kicks on knockdown, lather-rinse-repeat.

Chars I was "ok" with: Gen, Yang, Balrog, Chun-li.

I got burned out on Street Fighter because of how lame SF5 is; though I still sunk almost 700 hours into it before finally dropping it for good. Only char I bothered using there was Ryu and never bothered experimenting with any others because they are all equally boring.

Sometimes I still fire up SF4 just to practice 1-frame links for fun, reminds me of practising scales on a music instrument, though honestly I'm really rusty on any FG. Haven't played a FG in almost a year now. In some ways it was a good thing because I just go full-retard when I get addicted to something, and I never experienced an addiction as STRONG as when I got addicted to SF4, to the detriment of almost everything else.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Nice, a Gen main. Always loved that crazy two stancing bitch since the Alpha series, really got into him with A3 and SF4. Still waiting for Sodom to come out of his 20 year slumber.

SFV Ryu was kind of rough unless something changed for him in CE recently. I think even Daigo had to drop him despite being a character loyalist which is crazy to think about. At least you're not a fucking degenerate Ken main so I can still hold great respect for you, but you probably confirmed everything into Ultra back in SF4 so... fuck you anyways. :D

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I got burned out on Street Fighter because of how lame SF5 is
Never thought I'd say this, but sf5 did get better since I last played it (2016). SF4 is still the waaaaaay superior game but it's not the trainwreck it started as. They cut down the input delay and Ryu had his c.MK and install buffed so I had to try :shittydog:

Used to play fighting games a lot back in the past. Third Strike, CVS2 (which is what I mostly played) Soul Calibur 2 on GC and PS2, and some Tekken. Fun times with friends. I did play all iterations of SF4, and while it wasn't bad I found the game too defensive at times, especially when how easy it was to FADC, I also thought the character models was a downgrade compared to how good looking the sprites were in TS. The style was just better. V is on trial, let me know if you wanna fuck with that and we'll play some games.

I played a ton of fighting games in the late 90's/early 00's at the arcades. Tekken 3, Virtua Fighter 3/4 (I owned the only Final Tuned arcade machine in the whole of Latin America back in 2006), SF3:3rd Strike, etc. I lived through the dark ages of FGs (me and my crew were excited about Capcom Fighting Jam, just to give you an idea) and never imagined the kind of renaissance that's happening now.

For me, FGs only make sense in this setting, where every match was down to the wire because it was literally worth money and the loser had to go back to the end of the line and wait for his turn again (the popular games had huge lines).

I used to get a huge rush out of them, nothing in gaming ever came close. However, I have no competitive spirit left and the home setting is a huge downer for me - there's no risk/reward scenario, people can put in infinite time from the comfort of their homes, etc. Input lag being baked in the design of newer fighting games was the nail in the coffin for me. The standard 8f delay that people seem to have gotten used to is close to 150ms - unacceptable. But it's here to stay.

I've always thought that FGs and shmups were the last bastion of truly skill-based gaming, and it's still true. I still play a lot of shmups.

Silverfish

Arbiter
So noone is actually going to learn tekken 7 with me?

Kazuya has a gut punch that staggers the opponent for a second. Do that, follow it with his big knockback punch and repeat until the other player disconnects or (if you're playing with other people in the same room) they throw beer cans at you.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I start every round in Tekken 7 trying to do Miguel's 1 hit KO punch. Zero respect for my opponent's skill level.

Generic-Giant-Spider

What's the best option for playing MvC1 on PC? Or can I still download it on PS3?

Unless you bought it on PS3 way back when it released and still have the account you bought it on, the MvC1 port on PS3 is gone until Capcom/Marvel come to yet another agreement. MvC2 is also lost to the world.

However, a Dreamcast emulator is the next best thing since it's an arcade perfect port anyways. ReDream is my preferred.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Input lag being baked in the design of newer fighting games was the nail in the coffin for me. The standard 8f delay that people seem to have gotten used to is close to 150ms - unacceptable. But it's here to stay.

The input lag in most figthing games nowadays is at most 1-2 frames higher than the fastest arcade games.

So noone is actually going to learn tekken 7 with me?

Kazuya has a gut punch that staggers the opponent for a second. Do that, follow it with his big knockback punch and repeat until the other player disconnects or (if you're playing with other people in the same room) they throw beer cans at you.

Spaming only works with beginners though. Any experienced player can easily deal with them.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
We're 5 pages in and I'm shocked no one mentioned Last Blade 2 yet. It's easily the best-looking fighting game on Neo Geo, the animation quality is superb and it's being played competitively to this day.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
We're 5 pages in and I'm shocked no one mentioned Last Blade 2 yet. It's easily the best-looking fighting game on Neo Geo, the animation quality is superb and it's being played competitively to this day.

They absolutely nailed the audiovisual presentation in that game. The ambiance tracks of some stages are fantastic.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
EQSoFL8W4AA117O.jpeg.jpg

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Watched the DBZ world tour finals this weekend, it was very entertaining. They announced a bunch of content to the game: the season 3 (Five characters, the first ones are Kefla and ultra instinct Goku), balancing changes, new mechanincs (Three selectable assist attacks for each character), new modes and more.

EQWts0eWsAIn_j5

Also there was this commentator lady cosplayed as android 18 that make me like

EQSMpTXXkAAfXoN

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
The standard 8f delay that people seem to have gotten used to
Most games that had that dreaded 8F on release got patches to improve the situation, tho. FGC pays a lot of attention to that nowadays.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom