Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Riel

Arcane
I just want Turn Based people to leave us alone. They get their Turn Based gameplay, and we get our RTWP gameplay.

Yes, once we get modding tools we can have a proper adaptation of the turn based pathdfinder game system and rtwp people can mod in their mess game mode themselves :P

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I just want Turn Based people to leave us alone. They get their Turn Based gameplay, and we get our RTWP gameplay.
Even if they add TB in at some point (which I very much doubt, they'll probably just let the modders handle it since they did a good job on Kingmaker and the audience seems happy with the mod), they've made it clear that RTWP is their priority.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
May be it's improper place to ask, but how do you play at your table top?

Specifically, how do DM's handle simultaneous nature of fights in real world? Are the actions broader (like, "I am firing fireball at the group of goblins" -- "The goblins moved out, you missed")? Is there any interrupt system (like, "one especially stinky goblin on a giant rat shoots your mage who is trying to cast fireball. Roll concentration check")? Or does it work like that stupid TB mod of yours ("Your fireball hits perfectly, covers all of goblins, half of goblins saved for half damage, the other half are dead")?

Xamenos

Magister
Patron

Specifically, how do DM's handle simultaneous nature of fights in real world? Are the actions broader (like, "I am firing fireball at the group of goblins" -- "The goblins moved out, you missed")? Is there any interrupt system (like, "one especially stinky goblin on a giant rat shoots your mage who is trying to cast fireball. Roll concentration check")? Or does it work like that stupid TB mod of yours ("Your fireball hits perfectly, covers all of goblins, half of goblins saved for half damage, the other half are dead")?
The TB mod is exactly how it works on tabletop. From what I've heard at least, I never bothered to try the mod.

There are some PnP RPGs with simultaneous turns where it can go "I shoot the bad guy" "He thought you might, so he dodged and moved to cover", but DnD and Pathfinder are not among them.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ldedt5c.png

purpleblob

Savant
I'm in love with the main theme. It's miles better than Kingmaker main theme.

I don't understand how someone can say it's underwhelming or too epic - it's just right!!!

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
I'm in love with the main theme. It's miles better than Kingmaker main theme.

I don't understand how someone can say it's underwhelming or too epic - it's just right!!!
First time I heard it I found it underwhelming, but it grew quickly on me. I find it very fitting to a Crusade now.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

There is an interrupt system.

But the game is an abstraction by design. The saving throw represents moving out of the way or diving for cover. Dice cover the holes in the simulation.

Same argument could apply to Kingmaker's attack rolls, hp, saves, etc. None of them are realistic. The game abstracts these things. That's what makes it a game.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
In regard to the turn based mod, I was wrong. It doesn't just exploit the auto pause settings, there's more to it. From the mod author:
"It's not a tweaking of auto-pause options, actually it reorganized how and when the combat mechanics is executed (e.g. it stops the time and blocks units commands except current unit), the fact is the vanilla pause function (and options) still works in TB combat. It's feasible because Owlcat implemented most of the action economy in the same way as tabletop, so most of the mechanics (and other mods) still work with this tweak, and the mod just needs to fix the remaining parts and adds things which isn't implemented in the base game."
Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/1637543304847410171/?ctp=6#c1630790443998239664

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
James Jacobs (Main PF designer) has always had a fairly strong dislike for what he felt was the overabundance of multi-classing and PRCs in 3.5.

Not to say there aren't some effective PRCs and multi-classing options in Pathfinder, but they tend to be very niche.

That sucks because I always had fun with it in 3.5 even though it could make roleplaying a bit weird. It had such great prestige classes too. 3.5 was the best PNP version.

Yosharian

Arcane

When using the combat layer, the initiative system dictates that spells such as Fireball happen instantly (Some spells take longer to cast but they are the exception). The concept of enemies dodging the Fireball is accounted for by the reflex save.

Sometimes I might have events like this occur outside the combat layer, perhaps if the Mage was hidden in stealth. But in any case, despite the 'slow-traveling projectile' style of Fireball that is depicted in CRPGs, Fireball is supposed to be pretty much instantaneous.

Interrupts can occur from readied actions (the goblin readied an attack for when he sees the Mage casting), or attacks of opportunity (trying to cast in melee)

Alternatively if the spell is one of the few spells with a longer casting time, interrupts may happen in response to enemies seeing the Mage begin casting and deciding to attack him

There are other interrupts but those are the main ones. See https://www.d20pfsrd.com/Magic/#Concentration_Checks_and_Casting_Spells for more details.

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Social Goals Update:

>KS Backers: 14,754/21,000 [Lvl 2 reached] (+1,840 last 24hr)
>YT Subs: 10,100/10,000 [Lvl 2 reached] (+1,180 last 24hr) [approx]
>Instagram Subs: 2,771/5,000 [Lvl 2 reached] (+312 last 24hr)
>Twitter Followers: 9,157/12,000 [Lvl 2 reached] (+417 last 24hr)
>Twitter RTs: 1,897/2,500 [Lvl 2 reached] (+275 last 24hr)
>Discord Followers: 4,481/6,000 [Lvl 2 reached] (+580 last 24hr)
>Twitch Followers: 6,029/10,000 [Lvl 2 reached] (+549 last 24hr)

Stars achieved: 17

Why does it always have to be furries?
fucking hate furries. People on the kickstarter thread were going on and on about how many tails a gay fox could get during their life and what it meant. At first I was going to slaughter them whenever I found them in the game, but now I think I will have my character cut their tails off and use them as toilet paper on my adventures and leave kitsune tails smeared with shit along my adventure path as I go.

Alex

Arcane

When using the combat layer, the initiative system dictates that spells such as Fireball happen instantly (Some spells take longer to cast but they are the exception). The concept of enemies dodging the Fireball is accounted for by the reflex save.

(snip...)

Which, by the way, frequently makes no sense at all. Older D&D editions had the excuse of having abstract combat and not having attributes affect saves for the most part. In D&D 3e you instead have people dodging a fireball that covered more than the whole area they could escape to while inside a dungeon with no covers.

Yosharian

Arcane

(snip...)

Which, by the way, frequently makes no sense at all. Older D&D editions had the excuse of having abstract combat and not having attributes affect saves for the most part. In D&D 3e you instead have people dodging a fireball that covered more than the whole area they could escape to while inside a dungeon with no covers.
I mean you can explain this away in various ways. For example you could say the individual in question dived behind some cover, or used a nearby opponent (or friendly!) as a meat shield. When that's not applicable, maybe they used a magical cape to cleverly shield themselves from most of the blast, or something similar, such as they dived to the ground and shielded their face from the blast, compared with the big dumb fighter who just stood there going 'GRAGH?'

Of course there will always be inconsistencies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom