Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ARMA 3

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Not even a 9600k?

9900k is WAY out of my budget. For now i'm waiting to see if the 17% core increase that's rumored for Ryzen 4000 is true. In that case, i might go there else i'll default for a 9600k and roll with that.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Not even a 9600k?

9900k is WAY out of my budget. For now i'm waiting to see if the 17% core increase that's rumored for Ryzen 4000 is true. In that case, i might go there else i'll default for a 9600k and roll with that.

I am sure 9600k will work fine. I was speaking more from my experience of my old 6600k which was 4 core 4 thread CPU @ 3.6ghz base. It worked in general 40-50 FPS but had sometimes pretty crippling FPS stutters especially when doing quick turns or zoom ins. When I overclocked it to 4.3ghz I managed to get it somewhere in the 55-70 region. But all cores were constantly under 100% load. And it still stuttered on occassion

I reckon the general advancements in IPS will make it run smoothly on it, 6 cores 6 threads is plenty and you should see 60 FPS. I am aiming at 100+ myself so I have a bit warped view.

Just remember to turn on settings up. Some of the settings in Arma 3 are weird in that if you turn them low enough, they start using CPU acceleration instead of GPU which in turn actually cripples performance instead of improving it. I don't know why they did it like that but at least shadows were one of the affected settings IIRC.

SSDs are very helpful too as it loves loading in lots of data

Ba'al

Scholar
Ah yes, every couple of years I load up Operation Flashpoint thinking that this time, having a better pc, I'll be able to run the game at max for sure! Nope. Always end up having the view distance set to max 1500m with normal terrain. The game just wasn't designed for high view distances, I think the AI can only detect/engage stuff up to 500m or so.

Not even a 9600k? nf

Any particular reason for choosing a 9600k over a Ryzen 3600?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ah yes, every couple of years I load up Operation Flashpoint thinking that this time, having a better pc, I'll be able to run the game at max for sure! Nope. Always end up having the view distance set to max 1500m with normal terrain. The game just wasn't designed for high view distances, I think the AI can only detect/engage stuff up to 500m or so.

Not even a 9600k? nf

Any particular reason for choosing a 9600k over a Ryzen 3600?

None really, i was just musing. My CPU is a Ryzen 2600 on a B450 Gaming Carbo Pro yadda yadda whatever the fuck its called and if i'm lucky they may even make it compatible for Ryzen 4000 which i think is what i'll get, especially if the 17% increase in core speed is true.

Even so, i've seen some guy getting 45 FPS on that YAAB map on ultra (and there's no reason not to play ultra at this point, only thing that makes a difference seems to be viewing distance. If i lower that to 1600 i get almost the exact same FPS between low and ultra lmao), so the 3600 may not be enough still but if i switch to intel i'll have to change motherboard which sucks.

Beowulf

Arcane
Sadly, what matters for BI games is having high single core performance, not the number of cores. So AMD's are at a disadvantage :/

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah but the core advantage is not that big anymore intel only wins because you take their CPU's to 5GHz.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Its always been like that guys. Its not your hardware its the old ass engine struggling. Youre never going to need to see 5km anyway. Just set it to 2km and forget about it.

FWIW theres little reason to play flash point over fan recreations in A3 or even A2. Flashpoint is so clunky and the command and control is bad without certain mods.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, so far it's been pretty good. I'm up to the mission where you drive the tank for the first time.

The best mission so far was After Montignac. It's one of the hardest fucking things i've ever played. I killed like 40 guys and blew up one helicopter and two tanks and by the end of it i felt like i went through world war 3. Fuck's sake.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I got my own command now! This game is like a mini RTS. Too bad i can't pause when giving orders. The AI is pretty good. They can get killed easily but at the same time they can murder the enemy with the same ease as well. Mission 23 now but still nothing as hard as After Montignac. I have a feeling the devs expected you to just avoid everything in that mission but with enemies being able to snipe you from 5 miles away i had no choice but go full rambo lmao.

Haha, I always ended up crawling in that mission because I was too scared to actually attack them. You can crawl to safety and play it stealthily.

About the RTS - there is a mod for that, but is little bit underwhelming and you have to make missions for it.

This one is for precise AI commanding though and it is pretty neat, I use it for the big dynamic missions

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've been playing some dynamic recon Ops. Pretty well done dynamic mission. Good old Recon infantry Arma Gameplay, where these games shines in my opinion, especially if you don't have the power to run the more demanding bigger missions.

BTW. I'm the only one who doesn't get excited about Altis map? I have nothing against it, but lacks something that Chernarus had.

Well, Chernarus certainly has a charm and atmosphere also better suited for DayZ. But Altis is diverse and there is more possibilities for all kinds of missions - underwater, stealthy, whole-island, air, etc. Livonia is the best of the official ones though.

Btw. some mods to get excited about in upcoming month:

Fully operational boat. Engine being pushed to the limits. I can imagine that in MP. Ahoy!

Underground terrain with some nice ambience.

Bonus and already released:

LOL

Also - started to play Old Man - performance is awful at first couple of missions but it gradually gets better. It is Jagged Alliance in Arma basically. I do not recommend the "recommended" save system though - save anytime. Nothing qute like losing hours of progress because of a bug. Other than that pretty cool. From devs and free.

Last edited:
The AI is pretty good

Yep, something that is not mentioned much. Devs could easily abandon AI and get out of all kinds of trouble but they did not give up. I would say even though it appears buggy it is one of the most robust and complex AI systems out there. AI does some tricks that you do not see in games of this scale - like staying out of line when sniping them until they get close enough to engage. Or camo actually making difference of being seen. Or you can be stealthy all you want but once AI sees you conrasted with sky and you stick out like sore thumb you can only blame yourselves. Just you wait when you get to one of the missions where it is not necessary to fire a single shot. If you are not satisfied you can always try AI mods (breaks non-dynamic missions) like bCombat or TypeX.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What AI settings are you using nowadays? I used to play with ASR AI, but it's not being developed anymore.

I don't like that they get extremely accurate, specially playing SP.

AI settings of in-game options? Difficulty? I choose highest difficulty for in-game options. Missions are mostly made to suit their own need. For dynamic ones I use typically TCL - Tactical Combat Link TypeX or bCombat. Did not try much else, but there are some good mods you can find I believe.

Also, where is the official Codex Arma 3 server, huh? We could gather and kill some dudes together:hug:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
AI settings of in-game options? Difficulty? I choose highest difficulty for in-game options. Missions are mostly made to suit their own need. For dynamic ones I use typically TCL - Tactical Combat Link TypeX or bCombat. Did not try much else, but there are some good mods you can find I believe.

Also, where is the official Codex Arma 3 server, huh? We could gather and kill some dudes together:hug:

Sure it would be fun playing a COOP mission, I don't have friends that play ARMA. The only thing is I can only play with acceptable FPS light missions like the Dynamic Recon Ops. But they are very fun.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I used to have a Antistasi Altis server but our group kinda drifted apart so it was put down

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, i'm done with Operation Flashpoint. Stole a Black Hawk in some town in Status Quo and went on a tour of Everon with my buddies lmao. That was after i stole the yellow sport car on the airport only to realize it was a two seater.

Onward to the expansions while i wait to save up enough to upgrade my CPU for Arma 3. I'll probably replay the campaign on the latter at some point so i can see how well their port fairs compared to the original.

schru

Arcane
There were also those stand-alone missions selectable somewhere in the menu. Such an atmospheric game, especially in the early missions when the situation is developing.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
There were also those stand-alone missions selectable somewhere in the menu.
They're not all gold, but they're definitely worth playing. "Ambush" was like the greatest mission ever when they released it as a demo way back when.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom