Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

LilWololoMane

Novice
I don't quite understand what motivates people, let alone full-grown adults, to want to play these titles.
Because Link is cute! Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!
cute.jpg

I cannot understand what he enjoys about games: He hates music, imagination, action, variety--the only thing that seems to be appealing to him about these is to live out his power fantasy: A Mary Sue in the game, thus not a child or a cartoon character, and lording his genre over everyone else. He claims to be inclusive, but if you question his opinions he will fly into a childish rage. I think he may literally be a psychopath: A joyless man whose only emotion is anger when someone does not idolize him. He will happily declare a game to be kid's stuff even if he has to cheat to beat it, as in Zelda but if you disagree with anything he says he will fy into a rage.

Look at this post: http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/search?q=10+reasons He never mentions any reason he enjoys the games, and treats the blog as a research project rather than a way to discover fun games.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think CRPGs is actually a real addiction to him and not just a clever screen name, and I suspect he may be ashamed of it. So I guess he tries to distance himself away from it to some degree.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I think CRPGs is actually a real addiction to him and not just a clever screen name, and I suspect he may be ashamed of it. So I guess he tries to distance himself away from it to some degree.

This has a ring of truth to it, which makes it even worse honestly

newtmonkey

Arcane
I don't think I'd go so far as to say he doesn't enjoy RPGs (it's very obvious when he is playing and writing about a game he's enjoying), and he's even said that the "real" reason he is doing this is to discover hidden gems.

However, he's also posted about how he was and is literally addicted to playing CRPGs; i.e. unable to stop gaming even though his personal/professional life was suffering for it, missing deadlines to hand in papers for his PhD due to spending all week gaming, going on vacations with his wife and finding ways to get a few minutes of gaming in here and there when she wasn't around, keeping his gaming secret from others because he thinks it's embarrassing, etc. Replace "gaming" with "drinking" in those examples... he's functionally identical to an alcoholic.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
I cannot understand what he enjoys about games: He hates music, imagination, action, variety--the only thing that seems to be appealing to him about these is to live out his power fantasy: A Mary Sue in the game, thus not a child or a cartoon character, and lording his genre over everyone else. He claims to be inclusive, but if you question his opinions he will fly into a childish rage. I think he may literally be a psychopath: A joyless man whose only emotion is anger when someone does not idolize him. He will happily declare a game to be kid's stuff even if he has to cheat to beat it, as in Zelda but if you disagree with anything he says he will fy into a rage.

Look at this post: http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/search?q=10+reasons He never mentions any reason he enjoys the games, and treats the blog as a research project rather than a way to discover fun games.
You are 100% right . Reading "10 Reasons I'm Still Blogging About CRPGs After 10 Years" its clearly not about fun, you dont have to list reasons to do such things, he seems the kind of guy to enjoy classifying documents by colors in his workbook, or enjoy pinning dead lépidoptères in his collection . He also doesnt make much effort to play some titles, for exemple time of lore a very good action rpg ont he C64 was ignored as if it was just some pile of garbage. He's not a bro he doesnt love games, he's a psychopath .

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Psychopath is over-the-top, he's just a guy with a deep bias and because he's really the only one doing what he is doing, you hear or see almost no counterarguments to his opinions when it comes to checking out almost unknown games, which is unfortunate

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2012/01/crpg-compulsive.html

I woke up this morning determined to understand my addiction a little better and, upon reflection, realized that many of my problems have a similar root. Consider:

• I rarely sit down to play a game unless I know I'm going to have several hours to devote to it. Related, if I do start playing a game knowing that I'll only have a short time to devote to it, I almost always end up exceeding that time.
  • If I decide to cook myself some pasta for dinner, I intentionally make too much (i.e., the whole box) because I'm afraid if I don't, I'll run out of pasta before I'm ready to stop eating pasta (which is well past the point at which I'm full).
  • Although I might go weeks between drinks, when I do drink, I almost never have a single drink. Or even just two drinks.
The problem is, this might not be "addiction." A little time at the dictionary and Wikipedia suggests that addiction is a physical or psychological dependence, such that one suffers withdrawal if the object of the dependence is removed. This isn't quite my problem. I go long stretches--as you're all well aware--without playing any games. I also go long stretches without eating, drinking alcohol, or gambling, too. The problem is that when I do do those things, I tend to do them--just like playing Skyrim--to complete satiation. I have, in short, no sense of moderation.

It's definitely a bit funny to see someone who has to be dragged away from Skyrim complaining that Zelda brought decline to the genre, but it's his blog. Either way he really should have expected to receive more responses to "Zelda is kinda shit" than random commentary about Phantasie III's combat system.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
One thing thing I wasn't aware of that the crpGaddict has highlighted is just how many Ultima clones (early Ultima games) there have been, on marginal systems btw. shareware or single author minor commercial games. Very interesting, and how few of them added anything of interest

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
That's the guy's main contribution IMHO... a single person going through all those countless small games trying to separate the clones and crappy games from real hidden gems.

A lot of us do this with late 90's and 00's games, highlighting stuff like Gorky 17, Wizards & Warriors or Sea Dogs that we grew up with, but that's way harder to do with games from the 70s and 80s. I wonder if he'll find a post-95 hidden gem, or it will just be him slowly suffering through stuff like Incubation, Anito, Metalheart: Replicants Rampage and Another War...

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
It is more a kind of compulsive disorder than an addiction. However both are extremely common among gamers. And also psychology is bullshit and no one is sane by definition.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
This begs the question, has the crpGaddict actually unearthed a hidden gem we didn't already know about? Most of the stuff he liked was the stuff we already know is great, Uukrul, Goldbox games, Ultima games, Might & Magic, etc

For me its more showcasing all the crap I wouldn't actually want to play

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Disciples of Steel, maybe.
Not very obscure, but I tried it once, dislike it, gave it another try due to his very positive postings about it, and now I think it's definitely among my Top 15.

Also, Omega is an obscure game he's rated high, but I haven't tried it myself.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
That's the guy's main contribution IMHO... a single person going through all those countless small games trying to separate the clones and crappy games from real hidden gems.

A lot of us do this with late 90's and 00's games, highlighting stuff like Gorky 17, Wizards & Warriors or Sea Dogs that we grew up with, but that's way harder to do with games from the 70s and 80s. I wonder if he'll find a post-95 hidden gem, or it will just be him slowly suffering through stuff like Incubation, Anito, Metalheart: Replicants Rampage and Another War...

Gorky 17 was alright, even if it was a game with very narrow scope and ambitions. But I also enjoyed Incubation. It had some interesting battles, or rather battle puzzles.

Another War is amusing... at times. And the unique setting and weird storyline of Anito are propably more interesting that 80% of fantasy cliches the Addict encountered in the 80s.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
If he goes on like this and we're to believe he's 47, then he should be able to reach the 90's, should be interesting. Not sure about the 00's, he might die of old age before.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
If he goes on like this and we're to believe he's 47, then he should be able to reach the 90's, should be interesting. Not sure about the 00's, he might die of old age before.

Uuuuuh he's already in the 90s....

I haven't checked his list, but I assume the volume of games in the 90ies should be higher than the decades before, so it could take a while

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think there will be more professional games, but I also suspect more wannabe designers will use editors to make user made content instead of coding their own games. So hopefully less Ultima clones...

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I wonder if he'll find a post-95 hidden gem, or it will just be him slowly suffering through stuff like Incubation, Anito, Metalheart: Replicants Rampage and Another War...

I'm seconding Lord Potato on this one, i really enjoyed Incubation back in the days, not immediately though but the ambient is great and the tactical/"puzzle" battles are very well designed, also, weapons choices really matter.
Not a RPG though, it's just a good tactical.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think there will be more professional games, but I also suspect more wannabe designers will use editors to make user made content instead of coding their own games. So hopefully less Ultima clones...

:)
Unknown Realm from 2017...

e757dfb4cd9bd9b89565dea020f3f7e8_original.png

e3ba113cd5aa5eab7d816c14f9354aa1_original.GIF

Skald .... 2019

GIF1.gif

Gif3-1.gif

Nox Anarchist... this year maybe?

Waterfall-Mountain%2BScene.gif

Make%2BCamp%2BDemo2%2B%2528GIF%2Bcolor%2Badj%2529.gif

But I'm sure they'll stop making Ultima clones any minute now...

Edit: Fixed a typo on a game name.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom