Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How long could you go without buying a new game?

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
What's the point of this?

I amassed a stupidly large backlog in the last decade. If I have to be honest, I got to a point where buying games amounts to little more than collecting cover arts on a web page. Last year I played 10, 11 games to completion, maybe 5 or 10 more just on and off. Doesn't make a lot of sense to keep buying games if I can't find time to actually play them. At the same time, buying games is a habit not so easy to quit. I guess I wanted to see what other people had to say about it, how they relate to it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Unlike many Codexers I actually admit to liking some new release games, so I wouldn't volunteer to go a long time. I am looking forward to Doom Eternal and Resident Evil 3 for example, and Cyberpunk and Bloodlines 2 later in the year.

That said, the question being how long could I, I guess... forever? I already plan to stop playing new stuff entirely once subscription and streaming exclusives become the norm. I have more games already than I'll ever finish in my lifetime. So once there's a compelling reason not to try new stuff, I could do it without much hassle. Same for movies honestly.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Usually about a year but 2019 and especially 2020 have had some real bangers for me so these two years are an exception. 2020 is going to have more new releases I care about than any year since 2007

Here's my 2020 list:

System Shock

Cyberpunk 2077

Mount and Blade 2

Black Mesa: Surely they will finally be done some time this year?

Biomutant

Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines 2

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot

Psychonaughts 2

Doom Eternal

Synaptic Drive

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
I bought my last game during gog's fall sale, back in October or whenever it was. Haven't had the time or interest to buy much since.

Honestly, the whole thing is just becoming a giant shit-show. If gog can grab a few more games I want for my collection, I'll gladly top off my apocalypse stash and disappear. That would make the good citizens happy.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Usually about a year but 2019 and especially 2020 have had some real bangers for me so these two years are an exception. 2020 is going to have more new releases I care about than any year since 2007

Here's my 2020 list:

System Shock

Cyberpunk 2077

Mount and Blade 2

Black Mesa: Surely they will finally be done some time this year?

Biomutant

Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines 2

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot

Psychonaughts 2

Doom Eternal

Synaptic Drive

Good list, but you forgot

Wasteland 3
Beautiful Desolation
Wolcen
Encased

kain30

Cipher
It's a matter of minutes for me. The moment i finish a videogame i buy the next one on my wishlist. Yesterday i bought hollow knight.

ultra loser

Scholar
What's the point of this? Even if you buy a game every month, it's like 50 euros/month on average. That's dirt cheap as far as hobbies go.
Not in post soviet countries.

When I was a kid I was too poor for video games, now when I can afford them I don't enjoy them anymore. :negative:

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
It depends on what game is on sale and releases. But yeah if you read my profile on Steam I do acknowledge I am a compulsive buyer. Here are my numbers:

STEAM: 1067 Games*
GOG: 347 Games*
EPIC: 5 Games
ORIGIN: 28 Games*
UPLAY: 32 Games*

*I might have some games on more than one platform or that need to use an other game client (looking at you UPLAY).

EDIT: I would admit I would probably shave 10% of my Steam game library as meh games I should not have bought.

Last edited:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Why would you want to buy a game when so many games are free to play?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom