Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Journey Down - Chapter 3 out now

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I've always been in awe of the production values on these games. That said, this part of the review made me sad -- whether about the game or AG.com, I really am not sure:
This final instalment is also unlikely to offer much challenge to any but the most novice adventure gamers. While inventory-based puzzles are present throughout this chapter’s runtime, solutions are clearly telegraphed and it’s almost always immediately apparent what an item is for or how it should be used.

Instead, the focus this time around is plainly on the storytelling, sacrificing game length and puzzle complexity in favor of closing the story with a bang – and what an ending it is, with a climax that can only be described as “absolutely metal!” True, you are forced to give up control several times during this section as events unfold at a fever pitch, but the game’s wrap-up is satisfying enough that I didn’t care one bit.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
That's too bad... I thought Chapter 2 was a clear step up from the first in terms of puzzle design, and I was hoping they'd continue the upward trend. Still, I love most of the non-puzzle aspects of the series, so I'll probably pick this up sometime soon.

Boleskine

Arcane
http://justadventure.com/2013-05-20-21-09-14/4052-the-journey-down-chapter-3-review

The Journey Down: Chapter 3 Review
The game takes some visual nods from Grim Fandango along with a touch of Monkey Island humor. Give this one a shot; you won’t be disappointed.
Posted: 11/11/17 | Category: Review | Developer: SkyGoblin | Publisher: SkyGoblin | Platform: Linux, Windows, Mac
Genre: Point-and-Click Adventure
Release date: September 21, 2017

The third and final installment in The Journey Down series has been released. After becoming a beloved point-and-click adventure, the final chapter was funded on Kickstarter.

The Story

Bwana is our hero. He and his brother, Kito, are searching for their lost adopted father who disappeared. Their quest uncovers high-level corruption between the government and a power company with mysterious sources. At the end of Chapter 2, the pair escapes to the forbidden Underland with Lina, a researcher from the local university.

So, what happens now? The group continues its exploration of the Underland and discovers proof of the government corruption. They decide to split up, with Kito and Bwana travelling back up to their home while Lina stays below. Our brothers are looking for Lina’s boss, who has gone into hiding. Lina is focused on stopping the drilling.

The dual split allows you to play as Lina for the first time, and I think that's a nice touch. The story unfolds very well and, as you learn more, new locations are revealed to you. However, there are no recaps of the first two chapters. If you haven’t played them, you’ll be lost. Oddly, the game tacks on a love story in the final moments that focuses on a minor character, and it just doesn’t jive well. This is a minor nitpick on an otherwise satisfying conclusion.

The Production

I always get giddy when I see a point-and-click adventure do something more than pixel graphics, and this delivers. I love the graphics of this game, and they provide a Jamaican vibe based on ancient tribal masks. It works better than you’d think, and has a hint of Grim Fandango in the design. The grittiness of the city above and the lush landscapes of the Underland helped me enjoy my trip back through St Armando. I wish the game had spent more time in the Underland because I prefer the lush green pastures, but I was happy no matter where the game took me.

The voice acting is suitable for the game and the characters sound great. What I really loved is the music. Everything is in a Jamacian theme, so there are popping beats that underscore everything you do, and it really helps set the mood.

The puzzles are straightforward, and a seasoned fan will have no trouble progressing through this game. You’ll always know what to next, and the "three tasks" motif is alive and well. I did get stuck once because I missed a hotspot, but that is par for the course for this kind of game. The game does not provide a ‘"how hotspots" button but the devs have done their best to make sure you don’t need one. They aren’t trying to add challenge through poor user interface.

Final Thoughts

Despite When I first heard of the game, I was worried that a Jamaican-themed wouldn’t interest me that much. However, I immediately got into the groove. The game takes some visual nods from Grim Fandango along with a touch of Monkey Island humor. Give this one a shot; you won’t be disappointed.

Grade: A+
(find out more about our grading system)

+
Good music
+ Great puzzles
+ Satisfying conclusion to the story

- You’ll be lost if you haven’t played Chapters 1 and 2

Nope

Liturgist
A satisfying enough finale even if the puzzles were a bit easy and some Q U A L I T Y issues, though those were present in the second installment as well.
I laughed a bit at how they included Merkel as a secondary antagonist
who gets executed point-blank
considering Germans are a big part of the market for these games.

Ivan

Arcane
Got around this time, some thoughts:

While definitely the easiest entry in the trilogy, JD3 keeps all of the charm of the first two and offers up nice conclusions to characters you met along the way. Glad to see the project come to a close and looking forward to what comes next from the devs.

I would have liked more complexity in the puzzle department. While some sections of the game do open up, many of the puzzle solutions are found in the same rooms you find them in, which is a bummer, especially coming off of Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island. There were two particular highlights though: the coconut projector and the dead battery. All told, the trilogy forms an enjoyable, goodhearted 10-12 hour experience . Definitely check it out. Oh I almost forgot to mention, the music is pretty great in this installment too, I had somre reservations considering the original composer passed away before work on JD3 started.

5EB3B90CD837DAC7D655B77A37BF7D7E39313D9F

B9DF64C98A3E350AF8EDA3009ABCC202A172229F

48A9C77CC0863C98533DFEB8CDB78D0547EFC101

C1CAEE48B5A864E09F1E22D32DDBE9DEC1BDC483

F508C80D11BA84B129789DA75E0DCF73B4818423

:salute:
Cacti Rule

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Half a decade late but i finally get to play this. Chapter one is just okay, but chapter 2 is excellent. Starting chapter 3 soon
do you find them awkwardly short yourself
i haven't got to playing the 3rd one exactly because of it's reported length, they really are minor AGS projects with swapped graphics at heart

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Half a decade late but i finally get to play this. Chapter one is just okay, but chapter 2 is excellent. Starting chapter 3 soon
do you find them awkwardly short yourself
i haven't got to playing the 3rd one exactly because of it's reported length, they really are minor AGS projects with swapped graphics at heart
Playing back to back doesnt feel like that, it feels like one big game with 3 icons on your desktop.

Neuromancer

Augur
Unfortunately, chapter 3 is a bit of a letdown after the excellent chapter 2.
I was expecting some great adventures down under, after the search for the underground land was build up in chapters 1 & 2, but we basically only get a short movie before returning to the surface

Puzzles also got more "streamlined" and linear, meaning easier.

It still is a very good game, but could have been more IMO.

I like the villainess in chapter 3 though. Her face should be familiar. ;)

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Chapter 3 is excellent but 2>3>1

2 is just the best all around with its music (RIP Simon D'zousa), atmosphere, puzzle design and art. While TDJ part 3 has tons of excellent arts own its own, nothing beats TJD2's atmosphere especially when it rained in the middle of the game. Really excellent games, sad they havent made anything else (aside from, according to steam some random strategy game they made in 2018)

Feels like unless you're dave gilbert or ron gilbert you're doomed in this genre .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom