Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LawBreakers - Cliff Bleszinski's failed multiplayer shooter

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't get as riled up about SJW stuff as many here do, but it does always baffle me that so many media products are perfectly happy to write-off half their audience from the get-go. Even if you think Trumpers are crazy don't you want their money?

DraQ

Arcane
Gender neutral toilets are not a bad idea, actually, just replace urinals with toilets:
  • toilet can be used as urinal while it does not work the other way around
  • toilet is already gender agnostic
  • toilets get enclosed stalls anyway (unless you live in some particular shithole, that is) so privacy is not an issue
  • you don't have to balance the availability of both types of restrooms according to your workforce/students/whatever current composition (which then changes)
  • everyone thanks you after company event involving food goes horribly wrong (and there is mass demand for toilets with urinals being of no help)
  • you get to tell RHPC members who would be eager to complain about you not including *their* particular 576 genders to get out of your face.
  • JC Denton and/or Adam Jensen cannot cause lulzy drama.
  • is your home toilet NOT gender neutral already?

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't get as riled up about SJW stuff as many here do, but it does always baffle me that so many media products are perfectly happy to write-off half their audience from the get-go. Even if you think Trumpers are crazy don't you want their money?
Social media bubbles cause people to think the support for their views is much larger than it really is.

Gender neutral toilets are not a bad idea, actually, just replace urinals with toilets:
  • toilets get enclosed stalls anyway (unless you live in some particular shithole, that is) so privacy is not an issue
  • you don't have to balance the availability of both types of restrooms according to your workforce/students/whatever current composition (which then changes)
  • everyone thanks you after company event involving food goes horribly wrong (and there is mass demand for toilets with urinals being of no help)
  • you get to tell RHPC members who would be eager to complain about you not including *their* particular 576 genders to get out of your face.
Bathrooms are a rather secluded area so I wouldn't blame women for not wanting to have to share them with men for the same reason a woman would not want to walk down a dark alley next to a strange man.

Also, I don't want to share a bathroom with women because women's bathrooms are gross.

DraQ

Arcane
Social media bubbles cause people to think the support for their views is much larger than it really is.

Bathrooms are a rather secluded area so I wouldn't blame women for not wanting to have to share them with men for the same reason a woman would not want to walk down a dark alley next to a strange man.
Put a CCTV outside the stalls if that's really a problem. They are everywhere anyway - DeusEx future is here!

Also, I don't want to share a bathroom with women because women's bathrooms are gross.
Not a problem some yelling/shaming wouldn't solve.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
Fugly/bland characters were an issue, but everything else mentioned is just him trying to keep blame away from his shitty design.

You try to imply their transcending works don't have the power to make everyone see THE TRUTH?

Dexter

Arcane
This feels like a retcon
No one thought cliff or lawbreakers was woke
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...multiplayer-shooter.88409/page-4#post-4096158

See also page 6/7 ITT, even though some images are missing.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...multiplayer-shooter.88409/page-6#post-5228351

Not that it would have likely went much different for this specific game if that shit wasn't there and he didn't toot his horn about it for gaming publications to do write-ups on it: http://archive.is/UFmIH

Seems more like a retcon to say it wasn't so, because I remember almost the entire discussion around this game being focused on either Cliffy B. being a dick or a cuck, the "Gender Neutral Bathroom" thing that was often the thread image on image boards and the low player numbers.

"It's okay to be political when your company or studio is established for great product FIRST. But we were unproven and I regret doing it."

Translation: I should do it only when games were selling not when i need those fucking white males to buy my shit game.
This is how you get Nu-Star Wars, Nu-Ghost Busters or in video games Nu-Wolfenstein, Nu-Gears of War or Nu-Battlefield though e.g. a "Now that our franchise is so large and established, we can do absolutely anything we like with it, they'll buy it and we'll make money anyway" attitude, which doesn't always work out and loses its effect long-term as people realize your new stuff is shit. Other games like Mass Effect: Dromedar, Anthem, Apex Legends etc. would have likely also done a lot better without Woke staff.

Stage 1: Recognizing that Woke > Broke is good enough already, although you may gain some attention and have some marginal success with your Tumblr Indie game if you specifically target that audience.
Stage 2: Recognizing that you don't have to ruin your FuckHueg franchise and tank its reputation with Wokeshit, because you'll make more money without it and also have broader appeal would be more important though.

Last edited:

Eli_Havelock

Learned
"White dude blames diversity for his game tanking after shitting on his target audience for years and then didn't wipe before the interview."

#UrGame'sDeadBro #killedAF

ultimanecat

Arcane
Simple logic lesson for CliffyB:

If woke, then broke does not mean if broke, then I was woke.

I mean he was retarded and expending effort on gender neutral toilet art probably wasn’t a great idea, but Overwatch is right next to your game at the same time showing that pandering and making all your characters gay (except in China) isn’t guaranteed failure, so long as your target audience is idiots and/or people who stream for idiots. LawBreakers problem was that the market for competitive FPS with a high skill ceiling was and still is saturated (nobody actually wants a brand new shooter to relearn, they just want iterative upgrades to what they have already built skills in) and everyone else is happy with their gay meme shooters or ignoring it all entirely.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Renovating every bathroom in America to be larger and more open with stalls for everyone, and THEN making them gender neutral, would be fine with me. However it would cost trillions and will never happen. Given that, my opinion is "it is what it is."

Dexter

Arcane
Overwatch is right next to your game at the same time showing that pandering and making all your characters gay (except in China) isn’t guaranteed failure
overwatch.png

lawbreakers-game-characters-8k-dj.jpg

Which do you think would be more appealing? And don't tell me some retcon in some Webcomic 2 years after release most players likely never really paid any attention to played any huge role here.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Overwatch is right next to your game at the same time showing that pandering and making all your characters gay (except in China) isn’t guaranteed failure
overwatch.png

lawbreakers-game-characters-8k-dj.jpg

Which do you think would be more appealing? And don't tell me some retcon in some Webcomic 2 years after release most players likely never really paid any attention to played any huge role here.

What do you want me to say here? I agree LawBreakers’ characters are off-putting and ugly, but so are Outer Worlds’ and that game is a sleeper hit. Some people want their female characters to look like garbage because when you live and work with over-socialized hipster assholes in a coastal US city, all the chicks around you actually do look like garbage. The point was that Blizzard did useless pandering like say “Oh yeah the orange one is gay (except in China)” and does just fine, so the argument that useless pandering like making toilets all-gender hurt LawBreakers isn’t going to cut it.

ultimanecat

Arcane
I agree LawBreakers’ characters are off-putting and ugly, but so are Outer Worlds’ and that game is a sleeper hit.
https://wccftech.com/borderlands-3-sold-an-estimated-two-million-copies-on-epic-games-store/
playtracker_graph_egs_excl-1480x833.png

Again, what am I supposed to say here? That since it sold better than Goose Game but worse than Control on EGS that it can’t possibly be a sleeper hit (which it clearly was)? Shit was damn near free to play on PC through MS Game Pass and had a full console release as well. What do EGS sales have to do with the characters being genderfluid Tumblr rejects?

Dexter

Arcane
That since it sold better than Goose Game but worse than Control on EGS that it can’t possibly be a sleeper hit (which it clearly was)? Shit was damn near free to play on PC through MS Game Pass and had a full console release as well. What do EGS sales have to do with the characters being genderfluid Tumblr rejects?
You're saying this based on...? Do you have any secret numbers everyone else doesn't have access to? I'm not sure how I'd count $1 "Sales" along with almost ~500 other games, but it ain't even on the "Most Popular" list, despite much older games like GTA V, Witcher 3 and stuff like A Plague's Tale, ARK or Tekken 7 being on there, even World War Z and Goose Game is on there, but no "Outer Worlds": https://www.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-game-pass/games

Metro Exodus and World War Z sold a lot more despite being on "Game Pass" btw.

ultimanecat

Arcane
You're saying this based on...? Do you have any secret numbers everyone else doesn't have access to?

This you sperg:
October 2019 game sales rankings (based on dollar sales, not units):
  1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019
  2. The Outer Worlds
  3. Luigi's Mansion 3
  4. Madden NFL 20
  5. NBA 2K20
  6. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Breakpoint
  7. WWE 2K20
  8. FIFA 20
  9. Borderlands 3
  10. Ring Fit Adventure
Best-selling games of October 2019 by platform:
PlayStation 4

1. ...
  2. The Outer Worlds
  3. ...
Xbox One
  1. ...
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. The Outer Worlds
  5. ...

Again, what do EGS sales have to do with stupid female character nonsense? Are you arguing that killed sales for TOW, or what?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom