Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

S.torch

Arbiter
Oh great! Kickstarter comments have turned into favela fight over financial and moral duty for Owlcats to translate game into Portuguese. Aaand now Brazzilians in comments have switched from english to their tongue, split into warring factions and every third comment is written in increasingly angry Portuguese.Typical RPG Kickstarter Day 8th :?

Well, the Kickstarter is going to almost a million dollars now, they could have directed a bit of that money to some extra translations. Instead of jumping to some "urgent" goals like ratfolk and catfolk.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Or Brazilians can learn to code and make a game for themselves for a change.

I can understand English and Chinese localization, even Spanish. But Portuguese... come on.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Stream should inject healthy dose of hype back into campaign! Just make sure you don't ask them questions in portuguese, so far they answered 0 those in Kickstarter comments. Eles não sabem peidar português

Ask them about Crusading system, owner Oleg mentioned that it would resemble Civilization games, if that's for real, ask him which Civ exactly (very important). How are they satisfied with campaign so far, were vodka baths had? What's the scope and nature of future stretch goals? How seriously and in what capacity they plan to aid players modding - mod tools? And perhaps most importantly: Will there be enough monks to form monk army?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Honestly, I can't stand to see this stupidity when it happens, whatever the language. Damn, I learned to read english playing video games, learn to read a fucking game for god's sake. This habit has also spread in Steam and other places on the internet, I also see many chinese people complaining, saying things like "No Chinese No Buy" or whatever. I just can't understand it.

Quick Edit: And the worst thing is that I imagine that 90% of those people are just the kind of people who would skip most of the dialogues without reading it anyway and then complain that they can't beat a quest or don't know how to progress in the game.

I've found translations of games invaluable for learning a new language. I've been learning German for a year and a few months (10ish months of intense studying with breaks in-between but still incorporating it in my everyday life) and can now hold extensive conversations with native speakers without any of us having difficulties whatsoever. My writing skills are also quite good. I can't express myself as well as I can in English yet, but I'll get there soon enough. I wouldn't have been able to do that if it wasn't for game translations with a lot of text. The best part of the whole thing is that games have actual, non-adapted texts in your target language while breaking it up with gameplay, making it impossible for you to overwhelm yourself, especially since you can tailor the difficulty with the type of game you choose, and gives you time to process the information. There are also visual and auditory cues to help you remember the context better. So, yeah, I'm a staunch advocate for translations, I know it's not economically feasible, but the more translations the better.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Stream should inject healthy dose of hype back into campaign! Just make sure you don't ask them questions in portuguese, so far they answered 0 those in Kickstarter comments. Eles não sabem peidar português

Ask them about Crusading system, owner Oleg mentioned that it would resemble Civilization games, if that's for real, ask him which Civ exactly (very important). How are they satisfied with campaign so far, were vodka baths had? What's the scope and nature of future stretch goals? How seriously and in what capacity they plan to aid players modding - mod tools? And perhaps most importantly: Will there be enough monks to form monk army?
>Just make sure you don't ask them questions in portuguese!
Portueguese you say! I can't even speak the language!

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
People underestimate the effort and cost of actually good translations. Money and time cost. Most translations from most languages to other are nowadays shit. Like actual shit. I study languages and law, and I believe only few translators with proven track record. Most of them dedicate as much attention to their work as they are being paid by publishers and that's - very little. You wouldn't believe how much bad translation can shit all over otherwise great book/movie/video game

But lest we all get eaten by digression hole, I'll stop here about translations (could write threads about it) and return to HYPE MODE for the stream!!!

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Have we been misled?! Anons! I know you frequent this forum!
cJXsnHo.png

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
It was clear that the number of backers would decrease and stabilize over time. That always happens. We will probably have a smaller, steady flow for the next 20 days or so, unless some surprising or bombastic announcement happens. Then we will certainly have a new peak in the final days, especially the last day. Generally, this final peak tends to be comparable to the peak on the first days for most games. With this in mind, I estimate that PF:WotR should reach something between 1.5 million and perhaps 1.7 million. It is a very respectable reach for the second game of a franchise that, until then, only table-top RPG fans really knew about. It's a success comparable to what Larian achieved with D:OS2, which is quite surprising, if it really ends up happening.

Final day spike is about half of what day 1 spike is generally. It was a little more like you say when kickstarter videogames were a brand new thing.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Final day spike is about half of what day 1 spike is generally. It was a little more like you say when kickstarter videogames were a brand new thing.
True, Kickstarter left five years ago Age of Video Games and since then has been in Age of Board Gaming & Tabletop. But this campaign and Owlcats so far have broken all kickstarter norms. This is not your average kickstarter campaign in 2020, this is Owlcats. Bioware-Larian from Syberia, with their RPG hearts still free and pure

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
True, Kickstarter left five years ago Age of Video Games and since then has been in Age of Board Gaming & Tabletop. But this campaign and Owlcats so far have broken all kickstarter norms. This is not your average kickstarter campaign in 2020, this is Owlcats. Bioware from Syberia, with their RPG hearts still free and pure
Now, as soon as they promise my fellow monk bros and I, the fabled monk content, then we're good. We already have monk bear, now give us more. We demand it!

Harthwain

Magister
People underestimate the effort and cost of actually good translations. Money and time cost. Most translations from most languages to other are nowadays shit. Like actual shit. I study languages and law, and I believe only few translators with proven track record. Most of them dedicate as much attention to their work as they are being paid by publishers and that's - very little. You wouldn't believe how much bad translation can shit all over otherwise great book/movie/video game
One more thing - translating a game is harder than translating a book. In a book you have access to context. In a video game it's less clear. In a similar vein it's hard to do a good voice acting, because it requires a lot of attention to detail and quality to be done on a really high level.

I worked as a freelance translator from English to Russian for a while. It is not easy for sure. One needs to be a bit of a writer to translate properly.
More like have really, really deep understanding of both languages. And that's even not touching stuff such as translating the same language but an older version of it.

Last edited:

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Probably I understand what "figurative" means, but I'd like to point out that the distance from the closest Siberian city to Moscow (where Owlcat are) is about the same as from New York to New Orleans.

Efe

Erudite
yea v is very easy to fool.
do they still believe in my shitpost about queen romance being lesbian only in module?
thainen on discord confirmed there will be a stream soon but didnt specify timeframe

S.torch

Arbiter
People underestimate the effort and cost of actually good translations.

What is there to underestimate? The Kickstarter is going to the million dollars (and probably far more) and some of the goals went to putting humanoid rats or cats in the game.

I worked as a freelance translator from English to Russian for a while. It is not easy for sure. One needs to be a bit of a writer to translate properly.

Well, is understandable that if you can't express yourself with proper manners in a simple forum you will find rather difficult to do something more complicated like a translation. So I think we shouldn't take you case as a reference point.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Oh great! Kickstarter comments have turned into favela fight over financial and moral duty for Owlcats to translate game into Portuguese. Aaand now Brazzilians in comments have switched from english to their tongue, split into warring factions and every third comment is written in increasingly angry Portuguese.Typical RPG Kickstarter Day 8th :?

Well, the Kickstarter is going to almost a million dollars now, they could have directed a bit of that money to some extra translations. Instead of jumping to some "urgent" goals like ratfolk and catfolk.
The Kickstarter is only a million dollars, you can have your Portuguese localization when it gets to a brazillion dollars.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
We're arguing about translation of game which is at least two years away from being completed. Arguing about salad that best goes with roasted rabbit, while rabbit is still carefree hopping in the woods etc.

Also Deadfire translations, YA! even ze german deutsch one, were so good and many in number, that Obsidian had due to popular demand issue apologies regarding their quality and rewrite them. Three times

I could write and back this with 300 pages of evidence, but itz suffice to say that today unless you read it in original language or know that translator is good, you didn't read that japanese/russian/brazilian etc. book you just read. You read some poor translator's attempt to earn as much money by translating as many pages per hour as possible while being paid as little as legally possible by publisher. You read crippled version. You read bad translation of great work and that's like bad sex with 10/10. Much worse than it sounds, and not worthy of your time

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom