Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A few exclusive games crawling back soon

Next ones should be Roller Coaster Tycoon something something in March, Borderlands 3 and World War Z in April. If we assume Ubisoft still has a brain then The Division 2 and Anno 1800 would be re-releasing in mid April.

what about the paranoia game pulled from the store? i like the conspiracy theory about it being removed by mr epic himself because it was trending but had a horrible review score thus ruining the "we're the best people's republic ever" image they're trying to build.

I played Operencia on game pass, so I can continue saying fuck Epic while also recommending Operencia as a really enjoyable game. Though since I've played it I probably won't buy it myself now until it's bundled or dirt cheap, and I'd lean more toward bundled since I'm in no rush. Definitely good enough I'd like a copy for keeps but nothing I'll feel like replaying any time soon.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I don't think not buying a game like Operencia has anything to do with principles or being a "Gaben slut" for an average gamer. It's just that whatever window of opportunity these games had (assuming they ever had any) is long gone now.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Operencia is ok for baby's first blobber, but if you already know about genre it's just meh. I'll better replay something old or play another japanese wizardry.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Operencia is ok for baby's first blobber, but if you already know about genre it's just meh. I'll better replay something old or play another japanese wizardry.
Yeah,because we haven't replayed them 10 times already. The game is good because it is something new. Also if you had played a single jap blobber,you had played them all,it is a bunch of repetitive dungeon crawlers.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
And that's exactly what i said from the start -
Operencia is ok for baby's first blobber, but if you already know about genre it's just meh.
too short, too shallow.
Did you even played it? It is a good game,it is a good blobber too. It is no wonder that it is a dead genre. People constantly whine that we don't get new blobbers,then a new one comes and everyone is "muh i didn't played it,watched a video on youtube and looked boring". I find it a lot better than grimrock,MMX and most of the new ones. At least it had different level design and some interesting battles,tho if a bit easy. Also the story and folklore part were pretty good in my opinion.

Fishy

Savant
I got Operencia for like $5 during one of Epic's $10 coupon sales. You'd have to be a real hardcore Gaben slut to pass that up and pay $20 a year later.

Couldn't you have it for like $1 or $5 on gamepass with lots of other games including a few other Epic 'exclusives'? You'd have to be a real hardcore Sweeney slut to pass that up and pay $5 for a single game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't think not buying a game like Operencia has anything to do with principles or being a "Gaben slut" for an average gamer. It's just that whatever window of opportunity these games had (assuming they ever had any) is long gone now.

It will absolutely be interesting to see how it effects sales, sure. Ashen supposedly sold poorly on Steam and GOG a year later, but is that because most people who were interested got it on Epic, or that because a year of exclusivity away from the biggest platform by far made it less interesting? I hope more sales numbers come out that shed light on that. For example, a game that was a bomb on Epic but sells very well on Steam would say a lot about Steam's market power.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
For example, a game that was a bomb on Epic but sells very well on Steam would say a lot about Steam's market power.
That can only happen with somewhat meaningful games in a mass market sense, so Metro or Borderlands, and even then that's a big maybe. All those (semi)indies are dead and gone.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That can only happen with somewhat meaningful games in a mass market sense, so Metro or Borderlands, and even then that's a big maybe. All those (semi)indies are dead and gone.

I'm not saying either way, I just want more info. We've only had a couple releases so far, and no one officially discussed it, so we don't know yet. I wouldn't really be surprised by either outcome... Steam does have a lot of power, but exclusives do tend to work in the video game market. I'm just curious where it all ends up.

V_K

Arcane
Steam does have a lot of power, but exclusives do tend to work in the video game market. I'm just curious where it all ends up.
People who were interested in the game and didn't mind Epic, already bought it on Epic.
People who were interested in the game but had strong feelings against Epic, won't buy it anyway (except on a deep sale maybe), because those strong feelings automatically transfers onto sellout devs.
That leaves us with impulse buyers - which is where most of Steam's marketing power comes from. But to engage impulse buyers, the game must have a momentum on Steam. Which it won't have because of point 1 - everyone who was truly interested already got it. It won't be added to wishlists, and it won't be getting onto top seller lists - ergo Steam algorithms won't show it to impulse buyers.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
People who were interested in the game but had strong feelings against Epic, will buy it now that it comes out of Epic Early Access

V_K

Arcane
People who were interested in the game but had strong feelings against Epic, will buy it now that it comes out of Epic Early Access
I know I won't, even though puzzle-heavy blobbers are kinda my thing. I would consider buying it on release, if it weren't on Epic, to support the developer. But as it is, I'm in no rush - I'm busy as fuck with my job and have a backlog - so I'll just wait until sale.

I know I won't, even though puzzle-heavy blobbers are kinda my thing.
For what it's worth, I wouldn't really call it puzzle-heavy. Leans more toward combat than Bard's Tale 4 or the Grimrock games for recent competitors. There are puzzles but they aren't nearly the focus of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom