Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.solasta-game.com/news/62-dev-update-7-adventurers-clad-in-pink

DEV UPDATE #7 - ADVENTURERS CLAD IN PINK

Hello dear readers!

How are you doing? It's February already, and we're starting to iron out the first few hours of our campaign. Let us share with you some of the new stuff we've added to the game! Also, don't forget that the votes for the next mayor of Caer Cyflen are still going strong! If you haven't already, make sure you do your civic duty and go vote, citizen of Solasta.

World Map - Traveling the Badlands

Back in mid-November 2019, we shared with you a concept art of our World Map - which would be used to go from location to location. For those who may not have seen it or simply don't remember, here is what it looked like:

zx6enEk59GrQyK0Cp4mhe6A5DJ9bgMFxl0JgR2uY.png

Today, we're happy to show you the first iteration of the World Map... in-game! Of course, there are still tons of adjustments and polish we need to do, but it's finally here and it's functional. Next step, implementing random events and encounters!

q1Vb4yEkidP4z9RoCDUbPseZoyX0Io7OTKdvDoXM.gif

And we're experimenting around with the Day & Night cycle as well!

Say That to my Face!

If you paid attention to all our screenshots so far, you might have noticed (DC 10 Investigation Check) that we're always using Garrad, Violet, Rhuad and Vigdis. And to a lesser extent, Lena and Dek - the two scavengers you met at the entrance of the Ruins of Telema. This was mostly because we didn't make any additional faces yet, as we were mostly focused on creating new monsters, doing research on armor and the like. However, these days will soon be over!

W1gWHvyVgcOUwsq3R1qmvJIQW3ExHCcHrrkMfuK0.png

Here are a few of the upcoming faces for PC and NPCs! And don't worry they won't all be bald, we'll have hair too I promise.
Pink Adventurers, Assemble!

New faces are not the only things we're adding these upcoming days; we're also bringing new armors and clothings onboard! Adventurers will soon be able to select from a new and improved range of armors, as well as remove their protection without going nude. Not that running through the prison tutorial with a nude character wasn't funny the first few times, but we're pretty sure it would a bit of an issue if we were to release the game in that state.

MydQZvEaDxaWACSmSyTXqqlIBeITmj8vO3jEhCyb.png

You might be wondering: "Why are they all pink?" The answer is pretty simple - we still need to add some textures! Not that we dislike the color mind you, but I don't believe adventuring in a shiny pink armor would help with those Stealth checks. Here is an example of what they should look like after we're done adding textures:

LjrDbC9XTAc0Vm2CEUxNnBuWPyKTkM8Tw9tK8mAA.png

Working on Cutscenes

Cutscenes have always been an important part of our game, as we want to avoid throwing lengthy block of texts at our players every time they encounter a new NPC. Note that some games out there do the latter very well - we're not saying it's a bad thing per se - however it is not what we're going for. This is why we've been doing a lot of work to improve our cutscenes: tweaking facial expressions, experimenting with more camera angles, looking out for tiny details that would sometimes throw characters into the uncanny valley... We're no AAA studio, but you can be sure that when our community shares negative feedback with us, we'll lend an ear and attempt to fix the issue.

YORm8rqeGk2rMcgATcgIeMd7QNQINazhtu8bEReX.png

Ignore the toilet paper tubes on the table, we shall have real ale mugs soon enough.

The Forums will soon Level Up!

What's this nonsense? The forums? Level up?

That's right! We wanted to add a bit of flair to our good old forums, and in the coming weeks we will roll out an update to allow you to gain XP when commenting, level up to gain new avatars, and get fancy titles and trophies for participating in contests!

m6NKqUV58Jn8htmdGzHVmQLERsgqPpfmXkzxF55z.png

vHZSd1dOcKKHkhWBZFt5Cb1pIMAiwTyg8DJ7vjnT.png

Here are all the avatars you'll be able to unlock once the update goes live!

Bloopers!

Ahhhh, we're finally done with this week's Dev Update. Or are we? If there's something I've been wanting to do for a long time now, it's to share a few bloopers every now and then showing the... little mishaps of development. Small screenshots of bugs that are shared in the company's chatroom, gifs of random tomfoolery (often driven by our Lead Animator, much to everyone's delight). I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!

XKtiUTVqSUyIol1zfKtqNdCUQzMWnVfCJJARpYmW.png

For some reasons the NPCs bugged out and were all lying face down on the ground, making the cutscene a little awkward

F7bl1Sd89ObzPED5SFETkEiVCsohenSQqCjyoNEL.gif

Our Lead Animator, happily sharing the results of his latest script

That's it for today! Hope you enjoyed our Dev Update, see you next week for the result of the Mayor's Vote!

Mortmal

Arcane
It's turning out to be pretty sweet. Except the huge, screen shaking spell blasts after you cast a lvl1 spell. That's console-level retardedness.
Nah it's oldschool, at tactical adventures they play D&D while being completely drunk and stoned too . They shake the gametable everytime someone cast a spell for a laugh.That's their way to be the most faithfull possible to the pen and paper experience.

Elex

Arbiter
It's turning out to be pretty sweet. Except the huge, screen shaking spell blasts after you cast a lvl1 spell. That's console-level retardedness.
It’s turn based so you will see one spell not 3457 different spells at the same time.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
When you begin with earth-shaking spell blasts that cover the whole screen, there's nowhere left to go and higher level spells feel less special as a result. It's also a bit tasteless and not elegant. The speed of the animations have to be taken into account as well, I don't want to watch a short film every time I cast magic missiles or a buff.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
It’s turn based so you will see one spell not 3457 different spells at the same time.

So what, that doesn't make it any less inappropriate to have overwhelming 'muh epicness' effects for cantrips. What they've shown would be fitting for casting horrid wilting, not first level heals/buffs.

Last edited:

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
overwhelming 'muh epicness' effects for cantrips

I think you're being extremely dramatic, and even if you were accurate, it's such a non-issue. Why do you care this much about light animations on spells? In Pillars, the magic missle got a little brighter as it got better, then had splitting beams later. On the scale of giving a fuck, it's a hard zero. I've never heard or read anyone caring about that.

Elex

Arbiter

So what, that doesn't make it any less inappropriate to have overwhelming 'muh epicness' effects for cantrips. What they've shown would be fitting for casting horrid wilting, not first level heals/buffs.
In 5e many spells can be upcasted.

for example: there is only one cure wounds. Not 5-6 different version with different names (that do the same thing).

So cure wounds is not a “lvl 1 spell” it can be a lvl 2 3 4 5 or even 9 spell.

V_K

Arcane

In 5e many spells can be upcasted.

for example: there is only one cure wounds. Not 5-6 different version with different names (that do the same thing).

So cure wounds is not a “lvl 1 spell” it can be a lvl 2 3 4 5 or even 9 spell.
Brilliant. And it only took WotC 40 years to implement that.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I think you're being extremely dramatic, and even if you were accurate, it's such a non-issue. Why do you care this much about light animations on spells? In Pillars, the magic missle got a little brighter as it got better, then had splitting beams later. On the scale of giving a fuck, it's a hard zero. I've never heard or read anyone caring about that.

Of course they didn't complain, Pillars fans are retards, they're only playing for the visuals and the story.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
overwhelming 'muh epicness' effects for cantrips

The progress you mentioned is pretty much what I'm talking about, if you start with huge blasts right away, you have nowhere to go for higher level spells, which then feel the same. Progress is gone in favor of instant eye-candy.

Bara

Arcane
Last day to vote for the in-game mayor of the city for those who care. It ends 11:59 PST.

Can't really tell whose in the lead or not like the vote for the mage subclass as most seem to have voted silently this time.

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
Nah it's oldschool, at tactical adventures they play D&D while being completely drunk and stoned too. They shake the gametable everytime someone cast a spell for a laugh.That's their way to be the most faithfull possible to the pen and paper experience.

Shit boys they're onto us! Hide the booze!

Dodo1610

Arcane
Another city lost to the elves! :argh:

https://www.solasta-game.com/news/63-welcome-to-our-new-mayor-forum-20

LDPX9ILboib8WTu2jRMovDUPDIt7MW0Jn916DGPS.png

Kiaradth Bright-Spark triumphs with 55% of the votes over Haldrig Skandroksson! A hard-fought victory for the elven lady who dreams of adventures and epic tales. I want to personally thank everyone who've participated to this contest, it's been a blast to read through all of your submissions. As such, all 39 participants will receive a Forum Trophy as a reward!

... A trophy? Yes, a trophy! We've just rolled out new Forum update, with an XP system to level up and unlock new avatars, with trophies and custom titles that we will distribute to key community members! Or as a joke. Point is, your profile page just became a lot more interesting!

UGWGbK9TugCVZzdUJOPIhJhK6XHyuI3xhd8nAnJF.png

Participants will receive a different trophy based on how far they made it in the Contest

Keep an eye out for more opportunities to grab out new trophies! Here are some others that are already available, it shouldn't be too hard to find out how to unlock them.

saeCY8uuOSRFphcTnhP494Z3YlcM5bCGta5laLkf.png

We will be adding more as time goes on!

As for avatars, you will start with a selection of 8 different ones (the same as before the update). Every time you level up, you'll get access to 3 new ones! Below is the grid of all avatars you will be able to unlock at the moment. To level up, simply be active on the forums (don't spam just for the sake of it though, or I'll curse you with bad dice rolls) and you'll accumulate XP! And just like in most game, the more level you get, the harder it becomes to level up.

j8XvobFQajqZy1eSfXhWysXEBiFEVuWBg2uF35Nq.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Bara

Arcane
Some stuff on skill checks from the forums

Right now we're focusing on dialog related skills, yes, including insight and languages, to some extent. Using a skill like medecine would trigger much more than dialog, it's basically gameplay.

Same for something like Thaumaturgy, you'd have to manage all character who can die and provide a possible dialog that would take place only if the player uses the spell, so it's a lot of effort for potentially little benefit.

Regarding Nature and Perception, but also Religion or Arcana, yes the game will automatically roll the die and check if your character recognize something or perceive it, when needed.

And to conclude, we're using the SRD 5.1 ruleset, you won't find anything from copyrighted sources in our game. That being said, we have the liberty to bring our own homebrew stuff, when necessary, like for the custom archetypes we already shown in the demo.

Well, Joran, for skill checks like Nature, only the most proficient character makes the check, otherwise the odds to success are too high.

Regarding feats, we will have a set of our own that will not match those in the official books.

I just really hope they don't limit the attempts for lock picking. That really bothered me in Kingmaker if a character fails once they're barred from ever trying again.

I could get it if it was a critical fail and you broke the mechanism or but if your in a safe room that's been cleared out I don't get it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom