Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Touhou Labyrinth of Touhou 2 - Expansion Disk Translation Now Available, Too

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That's excellent news. However I think I'll wait for them to finalize it before digging in.

In other slightly off-topic news, I recently discovered a game called Genius of Sappheiros that's set in the same universe and I recommend all people who enjoyed LoT to give it a try. It plays like a cross between LoT and a 16-bit era JRPG. I'm about 10 hours in right now and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Some key points:

-Like in LoT you make a party out of per-existing characters. There's a lot less of them in this game but each one has a lot more different abilities and unique mechanics (for example, the samurai girl has several stances that buff certain stats and abilities that can only be used from a specific stance; the psionic girl can learn skills from the enemies, etc.)

-Your party consists of 6 characters - 5 fight on the field and the 6th acts like a commander that gives various passive bonuses and can use different support skills. Every character can be the commander and everyone has different commander skills. Apparently later in the game you get the ability to have 2 parties in a fight at the same time.

-Quite a lot of customization - each character has many different abilities, but you can only equip 6 at a time, so you need to think what you want for a particular battle. Also you get points that you can put into improving a character's skills and stats.

-Combat is more mechanically complex than in LoT - you have various party formations that you can use; there's a lot more different types of status effects like sleep, mind control, spell reflect, etc.; there are battlefield effects that work on both allies and enemies; there's a battlefield element mechanic that buffs spells and characters of a specific element and weakens the opposite element every time you use spells of that element; you occasionally get triggers to use very powerful spells kinda like limit breaks with different interesting effects.

-Like LoT the combat is quite challenging and there are a lot of different boss battles that can get pretty elaborate and require you to come up with a strategy to beat them. You also have spells that have limited uses per battle and there are very few ways to restore mana in combat so you can't just spam shit like a retard and expect to win.

So far I don't think this game is as good as the LoT series (there's quite a few things about it I dislike - the characters that you don't use don't get XP unlike in LoT, so if you want to try out a new party you have to level them, the combat is slower than in LoT, so fights with trash mobs eat up more time, the interface sucks dick and there's a lot of shit you need to see but cannot. I also much prefer LoT's turn order and initiative system to GoS, which uses the standard JRPG/Wizardry format of giving all of your characters orders at once and then watch the battle play out) but it's still a very fun combatfag game.

If anyone's interested, English patch is here: https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,10383.0.html

Thanks for your impressions, sounds cool. I tried GoS out briefly and it seemed interesting, but then I didn't have enough time to go back to it.

The translation for the expansion disk has been out for a while, by the way: https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,15439.msg1373650.html#msg1373650

I believe it's still incomplete, but it's something :)There are also rumors of a Steam release, I heard?

Awesome to hear about that, too. Hope they complete it eventually.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So, i tried to play this ...

Visuals :argh: :argh:
Story :argh:(you can fast forward so it's alright)
Exploration ... weird but alright ...
But the straw that broke the camel's back was the spells effects :argh::argh::argh:Not only it's anime shit but it's also quite slow, there's only so much you can endure from a video game.

Suicidal

Arcane
So, i tried to play this ...

Visuals :argh: :argh:
Story :argh:(you can fast forward so it's alright)
Exploration ... weird but alright ...
But the straw that broke the camel's back was the spells effects :argh::argh::argh:Not only it's anime shit but it's also quite slow, there's only so much you can endure from a video game.

You can disable the spell effects IIRC. Were they really that slow tho? I remember them being 2-3 seconds tops.

Suicidal

Arcane
You can disable the spell effects IIRC. Were they really that slow tho? I remember them being 2-3 seconds tops.

Multiply that number by the number of casts ...
Disable ? Humm, i might try to reinstall it then ...

I might be wrong actually, you could disable them in LoT 1 but not sure about 2.

Still, I think 2-3 second spell effects are like on the far shorter end of the RPG spell effect spectrum. I'm playing SMT: Nocturne atm and the spell animations there are around 5 seconds at least.

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane
This is a bit of a wild goose chase, but it can't hurt to ask. I just installed the expansion disk version of 2 with the latest patch and it used to cut a big chunk of the game from the right side of the window, making text really hard to follow. Changing W10 locale to Japan helped greatly, but didn't completely solve the problem. It's playable like this, but I'd rather get it solved if possible.

4Dojtdh.jpg

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
You need to install the right japanese fonts. It's MS Gothic IIRC. Sent you a DM with the link.

flyingjohn

Arcane
So are there any other great fangames like this for touhou or is this the exception?
Looking at the touhou wiki there are a bunch of rpg's and strategy touhou games,but no reviews or opinions.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
There's one other one I can recall catching my eye, but I can't recall the name. Not sure how good it actually was, but it seemed to have some cool mechanics; large party, and besides equipment you had familiar type things attached to each character that you leveled up and imparted skills. Looked cool. And also a nightmare to translate with all the icons being used for 40 different elements and stats.

Bit of searching.... looks like it's Devil of Decline (how appropriate) Gensou Maroku. Seems it's had the UI properly translated but the story is untouched. Might have to try it out. There's another one made by the same team afterward, The Nightmare of Rebellion, might be good too. no idea if it's translated at all.

TigerKnee

Arcane
The first game in the series that Devil of :decline: is in is "The Genius of Sappheiros", which does have a translation patch floating around.

Gensou Shoujo Taisen (sometimes translated as "Fantasy Maiden Wars") is good too - I think only 3 parts out of the 4 parts of the original release is translated though and right now they came out with a complete overhaul remake that fuses all 4 parts together so it's going to be a long time.

Suicidal

Arcane
So are there any other great fangames like this for touhou or is this the exception?
Looking at the touhou wiki there are a bunch of rpg's and strategy touhou games,but no reviews or opinions.

Genius of Sappheiros is really good. It's actually a lot like this game but plays more like an old PS1/SNES type RPG than a dungeon crawler. It's fully translated, features very high IQ combat (arguably even more complicated than in LoT cause there are more different types of effects, terrain bonuses/penalties, formations and etc.), huge enemy variety, interesting party building (premade characters like in this one, but you need to do a lot of planning before entering a fight) and is very challenging (the final boss of the expansion was probably the hardest piece of RPG content I've ever beaten in my life). Also it cannot be purchased online on the PC cause devs are retarded console plebs so you can download it from some fan site with a completely clean conscience.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

A more expanded version is coming to PS4 and Switch:

What about Steam version? Well the developer says he wants to but has no plans atm.

Also the developer casually announced that he is working on Labyrinth of Touhou 3 (presumably for PC), along with Gensou Kikou, the Diablo-like Touhou game which is in the works for 7 years.

Damned Registrations

So I finally decided to start this up again and finish the game, but I can't get the plus disk version to run properly. Gives me this when I try to save or load:

ehhXPbB.png

I'm guessing I need to download one of the fifty billion visual c++ runtime libraries, any ideas?

flyingjohn

Arcane
So I finally decided to start this up again and finish the game, but I can't get the plus disk version to run properly. Gives me this when I try to save or load:

ehhXPbB.png

I'm guessing I need to download one of the fifty billion visual c++ runtime libraries, any ideas?

Go here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads
Download the 2015.,17,19 variant based on your operating system (64 or x86).

It should fix the error if it is really a missing c++ error.

flyingjohn

Arcane

Suicidal

Arcane
I really hope the devs release this (and the upcoming sequel) on Steam, there is no reason not to do this for an indie dev in the year of our lord 2020 unless you have some sort of phobia for money. Just hire some starving college student for 100 bucks and have him translate the game (I'm sure they could even find people to do it for free) put it on steam and reap the benefits from the thousands of retard weebs who will buy any game that has anime girls in it and all 10 of us who actually enjoy good tactical combat.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
About the console release:

Well call Playism or Xseed or whoever, since they presumably have license to publish Touhou fangames. They will handle PC release too.

Damned Registrations

About the console release:

Well call Playism or Xseed or whoever, since they presumably have license to publish Touhou fangames. They will handle PC release too.

Why the fuck don't publishers ever contact the fan translators for this shit? I'm sure they'd be thrilled to actually get paid for their work, not to mention make a broader release possible.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:shrug: Well we all know most Japanese developers are pretty rigid about this kind of things.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
It surprised me how few japanese developers know english. Like...at all. So I'm not surprised they cannot contact translator or anyone else unless they have a japanese point of contact.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom