Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warcraft III: Reforged - now with lowest user metacritic score of all time

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Starcraft 2 was such a letdown in that regard.

SC2 music was the exact same "Star Wars by Hans Zimmer who didn't try too hard" kindda thing, with some chill elevator muzak tunes mixed in. It's easily comparable with older Blizzard fare.

SC2 music was the exact same "Star Wars by Hans Zimmer who didn't try too hard" kindda thing, with some chill elevator muzak tunes mixed in. It's easily comparable with older Blizzard fare.
Starcraft had memorable tunes, you're out of your mind. So did WC3 and its expansion.
I mean how can you call this "Star Wars by Hans Zimmer who didn't try too hard" or elevator muzak:

Huh?

Dakka

Savant

Nonsense. Starcraft had much more memorable tunes. Its music had melody and rhythm.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Starcraft 2 music was bad. It was competent ambience at least. I'm just saying it wasn't quite as good.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Nonsense. Starcraft had much more memorable tunes. Its music had melody and rhythm.

Nostalgia.

Of all the faux, wannabe Star Wars soundtracks of the last 30 years the SC2 one is among the "best", if you're into this kind of thing. Even I find it fairly competent.
As for SC1, the direct comparison is tricky since it's it's all MIDI while SC2 is fully orchestral. In general tho Blizzard did tend to have some of the best music in the business.

Harthwain

Magister
Starcraft BW is superior to SC2 in every aspect.

Sure it is. And WC2 is superior to WC3 in every aspect while WC1 is superior to WC2 in every aspect.

Because this is my nostalgia. There are many like it but goddamn this one is mine.
SC and BW are better than SC2 story-wise.

They added a few interesting gameplay improvements in SC2, but overall it wasn't groundbreaking (I'd say it was somewhere on the level of BW), so SC2 felt as a lot worse game than it actually was for people who were let down by the continuation of the story.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
SC and BW are better than SC2 story-wise.

And that's the only thing the original is better at. The writing in SC2, especially HotS, is full-on nuBlizzard retardery.

But playing SC1 a few years back it felt like RTS prehistory. Most missions are "sit in base for 20 minutes > deathball everything". In comparison the mission structure, the unit variations, call-on abilities and other mechanics in SC2 are a significant improvement. Saying the original "is better at everything" is pure, unadulterated, comically blind fanboi nostalgia.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Even if I like SC2, to me it felt like a 20 hour long tutorial. Only the last couple of missions give you free hands to do whatever. Some times it's good to have some regular build shit up and attack missions and I felt that was lacking.

But playing SC1 a few years back it felt like RTS prehistory. Most missions are "sit in base for 20 minutes > deathball everything". In comparison the mission structure, the unit variations, call-on abilities and other mechanics in SC2 are a significant improvement. Saying the original "is better at everything" is pure, unadulterated, comically blind fanboi nostalgia.

True but to me the garbage controls and pathfinding are really the biggest issue after getting used to SC2. SC2 might be a little too fast but I'll take fast with good controls over getting annoyed at stupid pathfinding and having to click every building individually all the time. It feels more like fighting a game and not the enemy. SC1 campaign sure has a lot better atmosphere but this is not a genre where that is anywhere as important as gameplay to me.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Singleplayer gameplay doesnt really suffer all that much from old school control systems like SC + BW, it's mangerable, especially at lower difficulties.

In multiplayer it's another story, though. that's really you really seperate the wheat from the chaff. I love the SC remaster, it's great.

SC2 was good too, at least the multiplayer was good.

SC2 singleplayer was fucking dogshit compared to 1, in every way possible.

SC and BW oozes atmosphere, world building and story in every orifice, while SC2 is just some rag-tag dumbed down bullshit love story

Danikas

Arcane
comment_jxMQ27F7OOxWYMVG53Wui5XvYLiUqaxc.jpg

Of course it is. That's why SC2 is a dead game today, and BW is not.

I don't know what the fuck people like you are smoking. It takes few seconds to find a game on any of the servers in SCII and absolute majority of times I'm matched against opponent that has almost exact same MMR as me. How the fuck is that a dead game? And when I tried few online games on SC R each search took fucking minutes. There's absolutely no way that more players today would prefer dealing with SC1 garbage controls to SC2.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
WC3 soundtrack really was just average, sorry.

Every other Blizzard title up to W3 had a way better OST.

Dont you like controling max 12 units at a time :hero:?

Or not being able to select more than one building at a time. Also not being able to shift-queue anything other than unit move commands. Or workers not even auto harvesting when rallied to resources. Or constantly fighting those 12 unit groups on where the fuck they should be going. Or not being able to even cast spells if you have more than one caster of same type selected, or it selected with any other units. Yes, majority of players surely will give up all the conveniences of SC2 for this epic stuff. It's tolerable in campaign where you can quicksave and lower speed, but fuck if I'm ever gonna bother learning to deal with that shit when battling human players. Also from what I hear community in SCII is way nicer overall, while BW is full of butthurt pricks with sticks up their asses. "Muh real skill" and all that crap.

Last edited:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Nothing will beat the Warcraft 2 soundtrack, but Warcraft 3 and TFT had a banging soundtrack too. I will say that overall the soundtrack to StarCraft 2 was rather forgettable, despite some really good Terran tunes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom