Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

frajaq

Erudite
We will be in for a ride on to release,

I imagine we'll have significantly less problems with bugs at launch since the game is on the same engine and they can piggyback on a lot of things they already worked before

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Waste of what exactly resources, turn-based game mod(e) is basically done! :D Just needs better packaging (read:UI). If they further improve it - great! If they copy it as it is - merely good. Just as good as in Kingmaker

Source of most worries is butthurt, and that's source as credible as CNN. Owlcatz were very clear about RTwP remaining as focus, itz just that most people don't read past headline

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I imagine we'll have significantly less problems with bugs at launch since the game is on the same engine and they can piggyback on a lot of things they already worked before
Yes,but adding a TB is going to mess shit up,it is a new different system for which the game was not build,it will also need its own balance and shit. In deadfire the TB system totally broke the fucking balance of the game.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron

Yes,but adding a TB is going to mess shit up,it is a new different system for which the game was not build,it will also need its own balance and shit. In deadfire the TB system totally broke the fucking balance of the game.
In Deadfire the game wasn't based on a TB system like Pathfinder was, didn't have a proven (good) TB mode like the Kingmaker mod, and it's not going to affect the RTWP mode.

frajaq

Erudite

key difference here is that you were locked-in the choice in Deadfire (for some god-forsaken reason), so you had to endure it for trash/less interesting encounters. Here it's another gameplay choice available to the player on the fly

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Arcanum comparison is dumb, Arcanum's combat is a completely original system with imbalances built in. It's a house built out of trash. Troika's publisher forced them to add the real time or turn-based (I can't remember which it was originally) system at the last minute too. Troika was a new studio working on a new engine subject to the whims of a publisher in an era where cRPGs were dying. Here the combat system is mature (3.pf has been around for more than a decade), the engine is mature, and Owlcat already has experience from Kingmaker to pull from. I don't expect the TB thing to have a huge impact as long as they don't try to design around it, and they said they weren't going to in the update. It should be fine to just have as a feature for people who want to play that way, aside from all the retards bitching for the sake of bitching.

frajaq

Erudite
have to admit I didnt expect so much anger and resentment between the two nations of TB and RTwP that could rise up after a simple optional gameplay mode that can be toggled at will

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I hate to make these normie tier metaphors but here we gooo: Wrath will be like a car that goes both on oil AND gas. It can switch between these two at whim. When you want deep tacticool experience you use turn-based, when you want to rush through trash fights you add gas! and turn:ON the RTwP mode. That's how I'll play it, you can of course play it purely in TB or RTwP, forgetting the other mode even exists, except at Codex in turf fights for one system's superiority over the other. That's really all, stop acting like optional game mode is akin to mandatory shot of corona virus, jeesh

DeepOcean

Arcane
Pathfinder is usually played on TB, they are already copy pasting Pathfinder rules, there is already a mod for this made by a single guy that works well, why are you guise acting as if this required some miraculous level of engineering to be made?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yes,but adding a TB is going to mess shit up,it is a new different system for which the game was not build
Wait... how do you play D&D again?
I don't,now fuck off old man,we are talking about computer games here. Go play with your cardboard castle or something.

In Deadfire the game wasn't based on a TB system like Pathfinder was, didn't have a proven (good) TB mode like the Kingmaker mod, and it's not going to affect the RTWP mode.
How come Kingmaker was made for TB system? From what i know it was made from another d&d like game. Which are not TB games because they are not computer games lol.

key difference here is that you were locked-in the choice in Deadfire (for some god-forsaken reason), so you had to endure it for trash/less interesting encounters. Here it's another gameplay choice available to the player on the fly
And why it should be different here? It is not like the game is out and we know how it is implemented.

have to admit I didnt expect so much anger and resentment between the two nations of TB and RTwP that could rise up after a simple optional gameplay mode that can be toggled at will
The fuck are you talking about?! We are having a civilized discussion and you try to play the victim here!

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I hope they design around TB with superior tactical combat encounters where you have to drink two mugs of coffee between turns to decide a crucial action while RTwP gets relegated to Select all - > Left-click to attack trash combat and thousands of spell particles flying at the same time and AOOs coming out the wazoo because pathfinding got lost somewhere.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
How come Kingmaker was made for TB system? From what i know it was made from another d&d like game. Which are not TB games because they are not computer games lol.
Of course the Pathfinder rule set is for a turn-based game, how do you think D&D gameplay works, just a bunch of fucking idiots shouting over each other like Jerry Springer or something? No they take turns obviously so that's how the game's designed.

And why it should be different here? It is not like the game is out and we know how it is implemented
Because they said in the update that you can switch between TB and RTWP on the fly, same as in the Kingmaker mod.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Dramafinder: Wrath of Real-Time Posers
:x:troll:

Tomorrow on Dramafinder: New stretch goal reveiled: +1 archetype per class. Someone from Somewhere: Tyranny of choices increases! Alexander Mishulin shaves left side of his mustaches for first million $! And MOAAAR! So, stay tuned!

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Tabletop is not a computer game, so there is neither turn-base not real time with pause combat modes. There is no combat mode at all. The only computer game that remotely reminds tabletop games is Tabletop Simulator. That's how Pathfinder should have been implemented for tabletop players.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Tabletop is not a computer game, so there is neither turn-base not real time with pause combat modes. There is no combat mode at all. The only computer game that remotely reminds tabletop games is Tabletop Simulator. That's how Pathfinder should have been implemented for tabletop players.
There absolutely is "combat mode." Combat has a distinct set of rules.
It is based around turns so it is turn based.
The rule set of Pathfinder is based around turns so it is turn based.
Like I'm not trying to say Owlcat has to make their games 1-to-1 tabletop translations but they are adapting a turn-based ruleset. They're free to do so by making it RTWP and also to add a TB mode.

Last edited:

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Which button do they press to start combat? What's the distance in pixels before enemies attack? How do they select all characters in the party? How do they group several party members together? Also, can I see the 20 dice roll animation in a CRPG?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Efe Well first fight was interesting. It's different. I am going to play some more.
0uM7SL5.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom