Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Citizen

It's a shame they don't make good dunecrafts nowadays : old :

Mikeal

Arcane
99-lpnwn2_ch040_092.jpg

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Are they? Certainly not Half Life 1, which has more in common with Quake. Even Half Life 2 is kind of a stretch. I'd say its more like a 50/50 split between call of duty and fallout 3.
The shift away from quick action to interacting with objects, puzzle solving and storytelling.

Also, developers directing your experience. You'd have to watch something that developers thought was cool before the door to next level would open and shit. I might be wrong, but I though half-life was one the first games of that type.

Are they? Certainly not Half Life 1, which has more in common with Quake. Even Half Life 2 is kind of a stretch. I'd say its more like a 50/50 split between call of duty and fallout 3.
The shift away from quick action to interacting with objects, puzzle solving and storytelling.

Also, developers directing your experience. You'd have to watch something that developers thought was cool before the door to next level would open and shit. I might be wrong, but I though half-life was one the first games of that type.

HL1 is definitely a quick action game and HL2 is still mostly actiony with both having a few cutscenes and puzzles.

I'm talking primarily about the moment-to-moment gameplay that comprises 95% of the game. In that I see the primary genres being the modern military shooters (cover based, regenerating health) and the looter-shooter-RPG-hybrid-things. I don't think taking periodic time-outs for story really constitutes a genre.

Perkel

Arcane
To be fair, I also find the term metroidvania quite stupid outside the only games that makes sense: Castlevania games that played like Metroid.

Not really.

Metroidvania means open world+unlocks+progression mechanics.

Viata

Arcane
Never heard it being used for that, but for "platforming game that features a single large, interconnected map, generally with discrete rooms or sections". Then again, as I said above, I only care for a metroidvania if it's a Castlevania that plays like Metroid.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Never heard it being used for that, but for "platforming game that features a single large, interconnected map, generally with discrete rooms or sections". Then again, as I said above, I only care for a metroidvania if it's a Castlevania that plays like Metroid.

Seems like being so specific about what Metroidvania means, will only lead to the even worse "Metroidvania-like". For better or worse, the term Metroidvania works. Everyone understands it, regardless of it actually having the Castlevania setting

Viata

Arcane
Sure, it's better to have a single word that everyone understand to describe your game than a whole sentence that makes people wonder what the fuck that is supposed to mean.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
E3 is now too corporate for Geoff Keighley:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/vide...ff-keighley-will-skip-e3-first-time-25-years/

Geoff Keighley will skip E3 for the first time in 25 years
imrs.php

Geoff Keighley at the 2019 Game Awards. (Chloe Aftel/For The Washington Post)

Longtime gaming journalist and personality Geoff Keighley, host and creator of The Game Awards, will not be attending the Electronic Entertainment Expo for the first time in 25 years. To that end, he will not hold the E3 Coliseum event, a highly anticipated newsbreaking platform with panel discussions of game developers providing more details on their biggest titles.

“Covering, hosting and sharing E3 has been a highlight of my year, not to mention a defining part of my career,” Keighley said in a statement to The Washington Post Wednesday. “While I want to support the developers who will showcase their work, I also need to be open and honest with you, the fans, about precisely what to expect from me. I have made the difficult decision to decline to produce E3 Coliseum.”

When asked why he’s bowing out, Keighley said E3, created by the Entertainment Software Association, needs to evolve as an event.

“Based on what’s been communicated to me about the show, I just don’t feel comfortable participating,” Keighley told The Post. “It’s no secret that E3 needs to evolve and I have lots of ideas around that, but have decided to take a wait-and-see approach. I’m looking forward to learning more about the ESA’s vision for the show beyond what was in the blog post last week.“

The Post has reached out to the ESA for comment.

As a trade event, E3 has been the biggest event of the year for the gaming industry, but the show’s importance and popularity has diminished in recent years. Sony has been the most notable recent exit, opting to bow out of the show for the second year in a row, even with PlayStation 5 expected to hit the market this holiday season.

“After thorough evaluation, SIE has decided not to participate in E3 2020,” a Sony Interactive Entertainment spokesperson told GamesIndustry.biz earlier this year. “We have great respect for the ESA as an organization, but we do not feel the vision of E3 2020 is the right venue for what we are focused on this year.”

Nintendo famously opted out of a live appearance years ago, relying on its popular Direct format to make announcements online.

The decisions by Sony and Keighley to sit out the show also comes in the wake of an incident last summer in which personal details of thousands of attendees, including addresses and phone numbers, were obtained via a leaked ESA document. In September, another internal document about rebranding the show reportedly leaked as well.

In one of my classes we studied copyright law and looked at a couple copyrights that Nintendo held. The game names were not in the slides but I instantly recognized the copyright for "an insanity system that would allow for effects such as flies and false game disconnects."

Don't know if Nintendo still holds the rights to that mechanic or even cares but I do know it's an issue game developers run up against lest they get sued.

Fun side fact: Atari holds the copyright to having a mini game during during the loading screen. I'm pretty sure it's protected zealously.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
I can't wait until all those NDAs expire and we finally get that truthful glimpse at the inner doings of Dorito Jesuit society.

*Perhaps this could be expedited if Mr. Keighley would sit down for a chat with the kind folks at Project Veritas*

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Think KCD has one of those weird 'awareness' going on in-game.
There's the fact your girl can refuse a date due to the weather and there's this weird shenanigans with the reputation system.
I offered her some wine and she accused me of trying to get her drunk.
Reputation Lost.

I went to town and realized the merchants raised their prices.
What the fuck.

:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom