Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Half-Life: Alyx - Valve's full-length flagship VR game set between HL1 and HL2

Venser

Erudite
All you need is at least GTX1060 and any of the supported headsets. Quest or even shitty WMR headset will do.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I want some innovation, I want the next big thing. Everything is becoming more boring. If this game kickstarts a new revolution like HL1 did then I am all for it.

I see VR more like 3D for movies. It's an alternate experience, not a progression or evolution of the same experience. Those into 3D buy 3D headsets and 3D discs, and those not into 3D upgraded to 4k discs and streams. VR is a different experience, and those into it buy a VR headset and get into VR games, but those not into it are looking at 4k monitors, high framerate gaming and ray tracing. I don't think it's replacing anything.

Venser

Erudite
‘Half-Life: Alyx’ Launches Next Month But Index is Still Sold Out Across the Globe
Index commanding a 150% price premium on secondary markets

Valve’s first flagship VR title, Half-Life: Alyx, is now set to launch on March 23rd but unfortunately the company’s Index VR headset is still just about impossible to buy direct. In the meantime, the shortage has seen secondary markets selling the headset at a 150% price premium.

Valve Index Stock Check
Following up on our global stock check back in January, our latest check of Valve Index stock today shows that things have gone from bad to slightly worse.

There’s 155 ‘region-SKUs’ between the 31 regions where sold and 5 Index SKUs. Of those 155 region-SKUs, only a single one is available (down from two at our last check). That would be the Headset-only package sold in Japan:

For the last month, Valve’s Index store pages have told customers “we’re busy catching up with demand for Valve Index!” and allowed users to sign up for an email notification when there’s new stock.

Where’s the Bottleneck?
While we might expect that Index stock would continue to slowly trickle out of Valve’s manufacturing operation, we haven’t heard any reports of customers being notified of new stock, making it seem like manufacturing may have even been halted entirely.

But why? One thought is that Valve may be revamping its manufacturing line (or even moving it to a larger facility) to support the greater-than-expected demand.

While Oculus said last week that the Coronavirus would make it even harder to buy its Quest headset due to the illness’ impact on its China-based manufacturing operation, Valve has not indicated any impact related to the outbreak. Our understanding is that Valve manufacturers Index in the US, however it’s likely that some of its components are of Chinese origin.

Valve told us last month that it was “working hard to build more units and meet the high demand. We are targeting to be back in stock before Half-Life: Alyx ships.”

Today in a string of tweets about the game’s release date, the very last sentence of the very last tweet read, “we will have more information on upcoming Valve Index availability soon.”

Resale Value as an Indicator of Demand
With the official sales channel completely sold out, high demand means that secondary market sellers are able to increase prices to sell to those willing to pay more than the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) in order to secure a scarce item. In competitive marketplaces like Ebay, seeing how much the headset is selling for gives us an idea of Index’s ‘true value’; an economist might say that the price buyers are paying on these secondary markets is a more accurate reflection of Index’s equilibrium price (the point where supply meets demand) than the MSRP under these particular conditions.

Index hardware is commanding somewhere in the neighborhood of a 150% price premium on secondary markets. On Ebay US, completed listings of the Index ‘Full Kit’ ($1,000 MSRP) have sold for an average of $1,500 in the last week, with some selling for as much as $1,935. Amazon has shown similar prices in recent weeks, but only shows offers and not completed transactions.

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-index-sold-out-stock-check-2-13-2020/

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I see VR more like 3D for movies. It's an alternate experience, not a progression or evolution of the same experience. Those into 3D buy 3D headsets and 3D discs, and those not into 3D upgraded to 4k discs and streams. VR is a different experience, and those into it buy a VR headset and get into VR games, but those not into it are looking at 4k monitors, high framerate gaming and ray tracing. I don't think it's replacing anything.
In other words: a gimmick.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
complaining about "looking stupid" while playing VR is the most retarded complaint I've ever heard. do you live in a flophouse? do you not own doors?

It's not a matter of looking stupid.

While playing on a monitor, I am still available for conversation. It's still easy to pause and do whatever. I am not out of touch with my environment.

Those things MATTER when you are not an incel living forever alone.

Dexter

Arcane
complaining about "looking stupid" while playing VR is the most retarded complaint I've ever heard. do you live in a flophouse? do you not own doors?
What, you don't dress in your best looking suit, shine your shoes, clean shave and do your hair before playing games? Look at this fucking Scrub.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
VR wouldn't be a gimmick for certain games where you're sitting down, like driving and flight sims.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
VR wouldn't be a gimmick for certain games where you're sitting down, like driving and flight sims.

Strip club simulator when?

Origin

Augur
Any of those hatin' on VR actually tried it? It's pretty impressive actually. Yes, clusmy and not much content, but everything's gotta start somewhere.

Movement is a big challenge, so I can imagine in 20 years we will all lie like fat blobs connected to the interface which intercepts impulses from the brain and routes them to the virtual instead of real legs. Bugs could be scary, though ;)

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's not a matter of looking stupid.

While playing on a monitor, I am still available for conversation. It's still easy to pause and do whatever. I am not out of touch with my environment.

Those things MATTER when you are not an incel living forever alone.

Yeah, my wife hates that I even wear headphones because of kids. Can't imagine how she'd react to a complete VR setup.

Also a ton of people just don't like wearing big things on their face during leisure time. If you look up consumer surveys about why 3D movies at home never caught on, having to wear something on your face to watch TV was a big one. Some people will love it though, and I'm not saying it won't be popular in time, but I don't think it will ever be the normal way to play videogames.

GewuerzKahn

Savant
Any of those hatin' on VR actually tried it? It's pretty impressive actually. Yes, clusmy and not much content, but everything's gotta start somewhere.
Do you own a VR headset?
Spending so much money to play some fun games like Beat Saber or Superhot VR isn't worth it.

Origin

Augur
Do you own a VR headset?
Spending so much money to play some fun games like Beat Saber or Superhot VR isn't worth it.

No I don't, but we had all the current models at the company I worked for.

I kinda agree with that. Chances are that new, better models of VR equipment will probably come out before content scarcity is resolved, so current owners of VR will possibily end up with depreciated hardware which cost them $$$.

But that's how it usually goes with the technology still yet to hit the mainstream.

Last edited:

GewuerzKahn

Savant
But that's how it usually goes with the technology still yet to hit the mainstream.
I hear that since 2016 or even 2013 with the Oculus Rift DK1.

Maybe Alyx gonna change something.

Dexter

Arcane
Everybody knows that gaming devices and games are best measured by how stylish they make you look or how good they are at letting you have a debate about tax policy with other people while you are playing, what are some of you people even talking about?

In 90% of the cases they didn't, but remember the opinions of either Bulgarians still running a Pentium 4 or people that have never tried something telling you all about it are very important.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Indeed, listen to the opinion of fanboys and shills who keep reposting every little thing regarding the shit they're obsessed with.
I mean, if you can't trust Dexter when it comes to how good VR is and what great future it has, then who can you?

See:
HURRRRRR THIS IS AMAZING NEW GAEMPLAY POSSIBILIUS WILL CHANGE GAEMS FOREVER = clear minded individual with deep knowledge of markets and trends and money and women
THIS SHIT IS SHIT AND WILL NEVER BE MORE THAN A GIMMICK OR WILL FAIL LIKE IT ALWAYS DID = doesn't have any idea what he's talking about never tried anything and is a poorfag

Dexter

Arcane
Indeed, listen to the opinion of fanboys and shills who keep reposting every little thing regarding the shit they're obsessed with.
I mean, if you can't trust Dexter when it comes to how good VR is and what great future it has, then who can you?
Personally I always go to the man that can't tell the difference between a $15 headphone and a home theater system and has an irrational hatred for them just repeatedly yelling words like "GIMMICK", despite never having owned or tried one, for advice on a new AV Receiver. Just like I go to the Bethesda community forums to find out about good RPGs.

HURRRRRR THIS IS AMAZING NEW GAEMPLAY POSSIBILIUS WILL CHANGE GAEMS FOREVER
Yes, I know, it's liek just a monitor strapped to your head, there are NOGAEMS and it offers absolutely no opportunity for any kind of novel gameplay possibilities and all that other shit everybody that has never tried VR constantly repeats as a cope that we've already been over ITT, and you just know this because of your deep knowledge of the subject matter:

THIS SHIT IS SHIT AND WILL NEVER BE MORE THAN A GIMMICK OR WILL FAIL LIKE IT ALWAYS DID
Which is just the reason why you and people like you are raging page after page in the thread about the next Half Life game coming out for VR next month, which coincidentally made them run out of Hardware stock of their new high-end $1000 HMD to sell for the past 3 months long before Christmas, and just after another VR game made it in the Top 20 Revenue list on Steam last month.
steam-monthly-connect-headsets-percent-january-2020.png

Obviously if it was "AN IRRELEVANT GIMMICK THAT HAS FAILED" you would be here being butthurt all the time and full-throatedly yelling to inform us about it.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
Which is just the reason why you and people like you are raging page after page in the thread about the next Half Life game coming out for VR next month, which coincidentally made them run out of Hardware stock of their new high-end $1000 HMD to sell for the past 3 months long before Christmas, and just after another VR game made it in the Top 20 Revenue list on Steam last month.
steam-monthly-connect-headsets-percent-january-2020.png

Obviously if it was "AN IRRELEVANT GIMMICK THAT HAS FAILED" you would be here being butthurt all the time and full-throatedly yelling to inform us about it.
But where's Half Life 3?

Dexter

Arcane
https://uploadvr.com/valve-index-coronavirus/
Coronavirus: Valve Index Production Impacted, Fewer Units Coming Soon
Ian Hamilton
February 20, 2020

Valve will have “far fewer” units of the Index VR hardware to sell during the coming months due to the impact of the Coronavirus.

In a statement released to UploadVR, Valve confirmed it is working to meet demand for the high-end Valve Index VR headset and they are reassuring prospective buyers that the system will be available to purchase again prior to the March launch of Half-Life: Alyx. The company says to receive a notification when the hardware is available again click “Notify Me” on its Steam page.

The Valve Index hardware includes a high-end PC VR headset and controllers which strap to the hands. They’ve been in high demand since the announcement of Half-Life: Alyx in November, and unavailable to purchase in recent weeks. Alyx was made alongside the Index controllers and fans are highly anticipating its release on March 23 as the first new game in the groundbreaking Half-Life franchise in more than a decade. Half-Life: Alyx should work with all PC VR headsets with tracked controllers, including Oculus Quest via the Oculus Link, but some optional interactions are only possible with the Index controllers.

Here’s the full statement from Valve:
With Half-Life: Alyx coming March 23rd, we are working hard to meet demand for the Valve Index and want to reassure everyone that Index systems will be available for purchase prior to the game’s launch. However, the global Coronavirus health crisis has impacted our production schedules so we will have far fewer units for sale during the coming months compared to the volumes we originally planned. Our entire team is working hard right now to maximize availability. To receive a notification as soon as the Valve Index is back in stock, please visit Steam and click “Notify Me.”

Broader Coronavirus Impact
Sony and Oculus will no longer appear at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco in March due to concerns related to the virus. The Mobile World Congress event in Barcelona, meant to be held next week, was completely cancelled for similar reasons.

Facebook also said production of its Oculus Quest headset was likely to be impacted by the virus as the headset became unavailable to purchase in recent weeks.
:M:M:M

They're not gonna have them back in stock before the game launches, are they?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
InB4 Alyx is portrayed as an underprivileged POC and Gordon Freeman as a Patriarchal crowbar-wielding homophobe.

"Wake up Mr. Freeman, Wake up and smell the privilege."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom