Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - open world isometric action-RPG

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
WOUuww gyuze, WOULcen is a shieut gaem, cus MUH STURY, muh modelz, muh armor luuk baed!

Meanwhile, PoE looks like dogshit diareeeeeea on a stick, and Diablo 3 looks like fucking cartoonic faggotry.

Grim Incel is shit too.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Graphic whore.
Wolcen looks good, but not THAT good.

Lost Ark still looks better btw. And you can even make not-trannie female characters.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Really? Prove it!

As to the Warhammer-inspired armor fortress.... I'm waiting to see pics of a cos-player in that getup. It'll only be authentic if he CAN'T get through gym doors.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
eBnz50Q.jpg

:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Another random annoying thing: you get into a small cave and are tasked with killing all the mobs inside. As you go through you are suddenly presented with a "quest complete, pick your reward" pop-up, even though there are still mobs left, and they are engaged in combat with you. That pop-up makes fighting very hard, so you gotta chose your prize fast.

This also annoyed me at first but then I actually paid attention to the quest text and it doesn't actually read "all" mobs. In any case, it feels wrong and it's the sort of fundamental weird error that should never happen if the devs ever played through Den of Evil.

Silly Germans

Does the game have gore/splatter or do enemies just fly away like in
Titan Quest ?

tet666

Augur
So how fat and short / ugly can you make your character?

That's from an old alpha build they scrapped it completely and there is only 1 model now which looks like a butch bayonetta with a tiny head, char customization is basically non existent.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
Last edited:
watching some game play video. Looks like a one of those video games people play on their couches. For some reason it irritates the shit out of me when the characters roll their way down the road or whatever, looks so fucking dumb just rolling around all over the fucking place. Rolling through a city, rolling in the bar, rolling down cobblestone street..whatever..

Reminds me of those shooter 'simulations', where people jump like fucking rabbits all over the god damn screen to avoid being hit. The minute I see shit like that I want to turn it off. Is it necessary to roll all over the god damn screen constantly to avoid being hit, or is it just some gen Z tard hyped up on adderoll who can't keep stiill?

Last edited:
So the consensus seems positive so far. Is Last Epoch any good? I think that's the only thing on the horizon that gives this any competition (Lost Ark is next year)

Edit: I thought this was well known? https://www.mmorpg.com/lost-ark/news/eu-and-na-wont-receive-lost-ark-in-2020-1000055054
https://www.altchar.com/game-news/lost-ark-will-not-release-in-eu-and-na-in-2020-aRG6y1h6WFVp

only thing about lost ark is the weapons are way too small. I can't tell what I am using.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
luj1 judging by Steam forums (and my own little time with the game) -- bugs. People lose progress in act 2 and get thrown in act 1 again, clicking on loot and mobs is jank, some CTDs and non-animating NPCs. Plus servers are shitty at the moment.

To that i can add from my own: visual design of females (especially player character), silly story and somewhat boring itemisation.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Van-d-all RoBoBOBR So what's the common criticism of Wolcen?
It's unpolished. I've finished the game now, and while I enjoy it, I'm not sure I can recommend it quite yet. Toward the the end (halfway through Act 2 through Act 3) is starts to feel very rushed. The game is filled with all kinds of animation and graphical glitches, long and linear copypasta corridors and a final boss and conclusion that is unsatisfying and inconclusive
you don't even fight this games equivalent of Diablo, he's just teased for a second right before the game cuts to credits HOWEVER there are uber bosses in the end game so who knows if the "Diablo" shows up there, it's possible.
Then there are just the myriad list of little tiny bugs too that are here and there like potions vanishing from your potion belt after each Act and it's just tiny things like this that make it clear that this game is a feature complete beta as it lacks the final phase of polishing everything which sets the beta and actual release states apart.

Most of these issues are tied to the main campaign so once you get to the end game phase it doesn't really matter as all future characters can just opt to skip the campaign and go to the end game and level new characters there instead.

Hopefully the devs fix these problem because most people aren't going to be as patient as I am. It's a great game underneath all the jank, but it is janky, there's no beating around the bush and I wouldn't want to lead anyone astray in thinking otherwise.

Bara

Arcane
I was halfway through Act 2 and lost all my progress and am back at square one in Act 1 so beware. The game has some really cataclysmic bugs.

Yeah that just happened to me too so I doubt this is uncommon. Didn't loose my loot or abilities at least but maybe just wait for a few more patches folks.

Perkel

Arcane
Finished campaign offline and i played a bit with friend today online. So no endgame.

PLUS:
- graphics
- each skill feels really good, meaty
- mechanics deeper than D3 and inspired a lot by POE
- combat feel is bar none best in ARPG genre
- great animations for melee combat
- once you finish main campaign you can completely skip it with next character
- passive skill tree seems to be more interesting than at first glance
- story inspired by warhammer and ctulchu
- equipment can give you a lot of mileage. I finished act 3 with early act 2 weapon.
- campaign is short

MINUS
- inspired by warhammer art
- chosen one in main campaign
- lack of stats visibility, eg no weapon speed stat just bonuses or maluses to it.
- armors while HD don't look that much different from each other
- fucking pauldrons are hidious, thankfully you can hide them in cosmetics menu.
- health and damage bloat
- aped armor system from POE but it doesn't have POE flexibility to it.
- campaign is short
- apocaliptic form is dumb dumb
- small amount of bugs

Overall i recommend it.

Imho it is game most similar to Grim Dawn but without dated graphics and samish skills. Campaign wise it is basically prelude to things to come much like 1.0 of POE. Now i need to finish online campaign and delve into endgame. As for bugs i was relatively free of them. Twice game crashed, some ui glitch here, once boss disappeared which forced me to fight again.

Last edited:
Reminds me of those shooter 'simulations', where people jump like fucking rabbits all over the god damn screen to avoid being hit. The minute I see shit like that I want to turn it off. Is it necessary to roll over the god damn screen constantly to avoid being hit, or is it just some gen Z tard hyped up on adderoll who can't keep stiill?
Gen Z Quake players

:shredder:

Sykar

Arcane

Can you elaborate? I thought it was small and contained generic bonuses.
It is basically poe but with a less bloat. You will have access to more interesting nodes and not waste 90% of your points on miniscule increase to health or ES. Plenty of interesting nodes like casting a spell increases your next attack by 30% of its damage and with its element. Plenty of support too, like dropping below 20% hitpoints buffs and resses your party members.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane

Can you elaborate? I thought it was small and contained generic bonuses.

They are more condensed POE passives with less bloat like poster above said. They also contain keystone like nodes which can completely change how build plays. For an example with my barb i have keystone which changed willpower generation into rage generation. There are nodes that gives you extra projectile but halves your damage, remove all non material damage but you do 50% more damage with material damage. Getting extra rage or willpower is pretty hard so there is warlock tree which has very easy access to almost 40% more than your base rage/willpower.

So there is plenty to theory craft. Me for an example i went for barb with that keystone with willpower generation transformed into rage generation and deal only material damage. Now i am thinking about going into warlock tree and get that extra rage/willpower

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom