Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate I was better than Baldur's Gate II

Silly Germans

I missed the quests that you had to actively discover in BG2. There you had mostly the structure
1. Talk to Quest giving npc in the city 2. Go to location. In BG1 you had alot more quests that had to be
discovered. You could find some personal item on a corpse which could be returned to
some relatives. Or you stumbled on a quest in the middle of the wilderness without knowing
the location before-hand. You could easily miss it if you didn't go exploring. I think a
balance of both BG1 style and BG2 style would be the best. A bunch of quests that are given
and easily started and others that are discovered by exploring. The problem is that this requires
connected areas that can only be accessed step by step, which was mostly missing in BG2.

The mainplot of BG1 also has some problems.
The later parts of the main quest in BG1 are rushed. After escaping Candlekeep it goes
to fast. Duke Eltan and Scar could have used a bit more exposition. Instead there are some
pointless npcs thrown at you that pop out of nowhere and feel out of place. There is
Tamoko and the mage at the end of the maze under the thieves guild when you chase Sarevok.
The actual in-person encounter with Sarevok is also pretty underdeveloped, after all the build up.
It was more interesting to read about him during your adventures than actually meeting and fighting him.
The Iron Throne ploy and the discovery of the schemes in the first half of the game
on the other hand are excellent. Everything feels connected to it and overlaps with the actual
stuff that you experience as you keep traveling. But after defeating the Iron throne this atmosphere
is gone. The whole Sarevok Bhaalspawn War instigation plot falls somewhat flat in comparison.
The Bhaalspawn plot line is handled strangely enough much better in BG2 although your adversary
isn't originally connected to it unlike Sarevok.

Thunar

Educated
Because BG2 is an incredibly fucking large game in every sense and it remains, to date, an incredible outlier in scope given their timeline?
That's true.
But they could also have just ended the game after you rescued Imoen, giving you a big boss fight at the end of that timed/no resting dungeon with the vampire.
That way they could've used their resources to create more content and optional choices during the Athkatla quest hub.The story would've also been much better for it.

Yet, Bioware has always made this strange choice of giving you side quests at the beginning of the game and linear farts towards the end.
They still do today, even when they are under much less pressure, I think that's just how they want their games to be. People still buy them, so I guess they're right.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Because BG2 is an incredibly fucking large game in every sense and it remains, to date, an incredible outlier in scope given their timeline?
That's true.
But they could also have just ended the game after you rescued Imoen, giving you a big boss fight at the end of that timed/no resting dungeon with the vampire.
That way they could've used their resources to create more content and optional choices during the Athkatla quest hub.The story would've also been much better for it.

Yet, Bioware has always made this strange choice of giving you side quests at the beginning of the game and linear farts towards the end.
They still do today, even when they are under much less pressure, I think that's just how they want their games to be. People still buy them, so I guess they're right.
They probably reckon that as you progress, there's more narrative urgency and you don't want to dick around with side quests as much. Of course, if your player has already spent 40 hours doing Athkatla side quests instead of rescuing Imoen as quickly as possible, he might not give a shit about your narrative urgency.

Thunar

Educated
They probably reckon that as you progress, there's more narrative urgency and you don't want to dick around with side quests as much. Of course, if your player has already spent 40 hours doing Athkatla side quests instead of rescuing Imoen as quickly as possible, he might not give a shit about your narrative urgency.
They could've allowed the player to come back to Athkatla at anytime, even if they wanted to make a B line for the final boss/Imoen.
The "pirate" island could have been much more deadlier than it was, making it clear that it would be an end game zone.
Hell, with all the development time saved, they could have made "finding a way back to Athkatla if you're under leveled " a whole quest in its own right.
I guess hindsight is 20/20.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
You guys are reminding me about my biggest complaint about BG2. It's not so much a complaint as a strong wish but I wish that there had been a Swashbuckler NPC you could pick up as a companion right around the time you save Imoen. I hate backstabbing and being around those pirates was a bit of a tease for me. It feels like a missed opportunity. I always wish there had been a sorceress companion too. Make her and the Swashbuckler sisters to fill their stronk woman quota better. It could have been good the way I imagine it. I would have traded Aerie and Nalia in the interests of not taking more dev time.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
BG2 has some of the best first 20h in a video game.
God I hope you exclude Irenicus' shitty private s&m-bunker here. That was and is the worst entry point I've ever seen in a game. Thank God a benevolent soul created the dungeon-be-gone-mod.
I kind of liked it for its honesty. You're going to spend a lot of time in dungeons in BG2, and the starter dungeon filters people out who are just there to be storyfags.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
God I hope you exclude Irenicus' shitty private s&m-bunker here. That was and is the worst entry point I've ever seen in a game. Thank God a benevolent soul created the dungeon-be-gone-mod.
I kind of liked it for its honesty. You're going to spend a lot of time in dungeons in BG2, and the starter dungeon filters people out who are just there to be storyfags.

It was pretty fun on the first playthrough. It's a slog after that. Thank god for the mod that lets you skip it.

Yes, but I found the conception of this specific dungeon terrible, it's full of stuff, way too much going on and almost no coherence. Ok, we are in a crazy mage's private basement so crazy stuff happens, but it just feels like a cabaret to me, there are just too many wildly different things in there to take it seriously for my taste.

JDR13

Arcane
I found Irenicus' lair fairly interesting and never understood the dislike for it. It's not that long, and there's a nice variety of enemies, items, etc. I guess some people just wanted to slaughter 150 more Kobolds instead.

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
Irenicus' dungeon was one of the best parts of BG2. There is a coherent theme to it- most of the "crazy" stuff in the dungeon(the enslaved dryads, the djinn, the test tube creatures, ect) are there to establish Irenicus as a badass villian by revealing the many bad things he's done. Too many RPGs fail to do this effectively, leaving the player to question why they are fighting this supposed bad guy other than that the game told you to. If you are someone who doesn't read the text and just cares about killing kobolds, the Icewind Dale games might be better suited to your liking.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Then you start giving a crap about saving some dumdum party member and the whole game turns to shit.

Just do like me and chase that fucking mage. I suppose, though, that a Good-aligned protag would pay attention to rescuing "her".

It's true that the Underdark is make or break, and after that there's usually few content (though we have to count Suldanessalar), but it's probably more a matter of getting tired of the sheer length and content of the game. That's the risk with giving *too much* content, if that is ever possible.

However BG2 is an experience every gamer and RPG lover should take at least once (from start to finish, I mean). Lots of D&D flavour in there too, not like Beamdog's crap.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You guys are reminding me about my biggest complaint about BG2. It's not so much a complaint as a strong wish but I wish that there had been a Swashbuckler NPC you could pick up as a companion right around the time you save Imoen. I hate backstabbing and being around those pirates was a bit of a tease for me. It feels like a missed opportunity. I always wish there had been a sorceress companion too. Make her and the Swashbuckler sisters to fill their stronk woman quota better. It could have been good the way I imagine it. I would have traded Aerie and Nalia in the interests of not taking more dev time.

"I hate backstabbing".

:what:

It's like saying: "I wish Minsc was more of a Cleric character, as I hate hitting things with a sword".

Edit: So, not so much a masterful troll, but an actual retard then.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

"I hate backstabbing".

:what:

It's like saying: "I wish Minsc was more of a Cleric character, as I hate hitting things with a sword".

Different play styles and classes exist because different people like different things beta faggot. I'm sure you love "backstabbing"

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
There seems to be an influx of edgy tryhard posters recently.

Jesus there are a lot of dumbfucks here. Can't anyone here post an opinion without being called a troll, an idiot, or edgy? I've got a thick skin so I don't mind the insults, I'll just call you a faggot or something, but it's super childish and low IQ. Good thing I like this place for the free speech because it's definitely not a place for intelligent conversation or debate. Just a bunch of oldfags who like sniffing their own farts and masturbating to 20+ year old games while lashing out at anyone who's opinion slightly differs from theirs.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
Jesus there are a lot of dumbfucks here.
It's the Codex... The last shelter for some people rejects.

Can't anyone here post an opinion without being called a troll, an idiot, or edgy?
If you have an opinion about something that doesn't align with somebody else's opinion you will most likely be called names. It's the universal rule of life. You know "There is only ONE way to be right and that's MY way!"?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom