Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They're with Microsoft now, with enough investment they can probably find a way. Not saying they would succeed but I don't think it's impossible.

Things will be more clear once we find out what Obsidian's next "big" game is.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
yes, selling an expansion that's buried inside a mediocre game is difficult, what's your point?

That's the point, and it applies equally to standalone expansions and sequels. Your moronic interjection, assuming I was somehow talking about the quality of the sequels/expansions, is the reason for this pointless exchange.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Bethesda's gamebryo gets a lot of flack but it does a good job of immersing you with all the little physics objects and clutter everywhere. Outer Worlds feels pretty static and artificial by comparison. KCD had the same problem.

When everything of value is highlighted by a yellow outline there's little motivation to peer into the details. Things like upending a crate from a shelf and finding a skillbook helped Fallout 3/4 feel more lived in.

Quillon

Arcane
It all depends on how they see the game's reception: Do they agree with the game's critiques? or do they look at it as they made a GoTY contender game which sold well? They need to acknowledge they shit the bed first if they ever gonna try to clean it :P

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I love it how this game is now but a dwindling memory, just like I prophesied.

gLcPhzl.png

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Y'all... stop saying "would Obsidian do this, would Obsidian do that". Obsidian isn't the one making these decisions anymore. Microsoft has the final say.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm confused. Are you saying that Obsidian would never make a sequel unless it was a guaranteed top seller? Or are you complaining that they might make a sequel that doesn't sell well but turns out to be really good?

At least you're sincere. What I'm saying is that Obsidian would be terribly misguided to make any sort of sequel, because The Outer Worlds is a mediocre game that people don't strongly care about one way or the other. For this reason, a sequel would generate a small fraction of sales of the first game. Sequels that perform extremely badly are normal in the AA RPG space; The Outer Worlds would become its next example.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
This game was sold entirely based on the fact it was from the same people who made New Vegas, the greatest post-apoc of all time.

It had a Fallout-style to it in the trailers and screen images.

Upon playing it, I found it to be an AAA graphically beautiful slideshow that was one of the most mediocre RPGs I have ever seen. It's only high points were flagrant steals from BIOSHOCK and FALLOUT. The rest was utter crap. Combat, crap. Exploration, crap. Dialogue, crap. Story was good but it was delivered on rails. Why is all text in a 6 pt pixel font? It's virtually unreadable even on a 4k.

In fact, once you get past the garish graphics and awesome visuals, there's practically nothing there. A single abandoned building in New Vegas had more fun in it than this entire game.

It proves that even when you know what incline is, you can still create decline. I am very disappoint. I paid $40 and I feel like I paid $39 too much. Already thinking of trading it in after three hours of play.

Also, the whole androgenous millennial vibe of gloryhole smoking and dag cyberpunk was casually disguised leftism ... who got their politics in my game again?

P.S. With a title like THE OUTER WORLD you would expect it to be largely open world but it felt claustrophobic and like you were in an amusement park riding a rail looking at things go by.

P.P.S. What is wrong with these millennials thinking making all the women in the game look like crewcut lesbians is going to appeal to anyone anywhere? Don't they have games for lesbians? Why the need for stealth lesbos in everything? Where da white wimmen at? How come we can't have a kicking beautiful babe in a spacesuit with long hair? Is that part of the privilege hierarchy of evil males?

CLEVE-O-METER
"Get woke, go broke"
1 out of 5 Stars, for the graphics

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
There is something really disturbing in the fact of Cleveland Mark Blakemore spending his hard-earned Grimoire bucks on The Outer Worlds...

Decline born from incline, truly.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It proves that even when you know what incline is
You're very optimistic if you think modern Obsidian theoretically knows how to develop incline games.

Well, they had Cainarsky on board, and also some people left from the team who made New Vegas. Quite a potential for massive incline.

Oh well, maybe next time it will happen.

Latelistener

Arcane
So, what's the general consensus?

I heard the game is a complete SJW garbage and Leonard should've probably wrote everything himself instead of letting Megan Starks and Kate Dollarhyde near to anything. Chris L'Etoile left early and that's probably when it went to shit.

Bonerbill

Augur
I'm confused. Are you saying that Obsidian would never make a sequel unless it was a guaranteed top seller? Or are you complaining that they might make a sequel that doesn't sell well but turns out to be really good?

At least you're sincere. What I'm saying is that Obsidian would be terribly misguided to make any sort of sequel, because The Outer Worlds is a mediocre game that people don't strongly care about one way or the other. For this reason, a sequel would generate a small fraction of sales of the first game. Sequels that perform extremely badly are normal in the AA RPG space; The Outer Worlds would become its next example.

Microsoft will make them make a sequel regardless. The current game has a decent metacritic score and M$ is doing whatever they can to push more high rated exclusvies for the xbox game pass. M$ is trying to go all in on the xbox game pass to make it more appealing.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, what's the general consensus?
I heard the game is a complete SJW garbage and Leonard should've probably wrote everything himself instead of letting Megan Starks and Kate Dollarhyde near to anything. Chris L'Etoile left early and that's probably when it went to shit.
I've only played through the first "episode" (planet), but this seems like conservative hysteria to me. Obviously the big joke is that corporations exploit their workers - if that's a frightening, radical concept to you, then yes, stay away. Other than that it seems like a very undercooked New Vegas.

The main conceit of the first section (minor spoilers):
You need an engine part for your ship, and the only way to get it is to destroy one of two towns by shutting off their electricity permanently so you can steal their power converter. Both towns are kind of bad - one is a status quo corporate slave town and the other is a super reactionary* hippie commune.

*Well, reactionary is completely the wrong word here. They're not conservatives. If anything they're super liberal, overreacting to a bad situation by pushing for the total destruction of the former status quo. What's the word for that? Lunatics?

No matter which you choose (I tried both) you are treated to a huge guilt trip about screwing over the other one. The corporate leader is the brainwashed, loyal type, and enforces dehumanizing policies, but is portrayed within that framework as a kind and thoughtful person. The hippie commune is obviously a less oppressive lifestyle but the leader is a vindictive bitch who wants to torture and punish the corporate people. There's no good answer as you're either literally killing the innocent corporate workers, or convincing the hippies to go back and be wage slave corporate workers again. Either way it seems super extreme for your character to kill a whole town for an engine part. The entire planetary operation depends on this thing and there's no way to get a replacement?
So I'm not super impressed with the plotting so far, but I would hardly describe it as SJW propaganda.

Last edited:

Wesp5

Arcane
The main conceit of the first section (minor spoilers):

You know that with high speech stats you can get a better solution which basically is a combination of both? And you can do the same for practically all major decisions as far as I know, only now and then a NPC will die, but otherwise there is always some optimal middle ground. Except for the ending of course...

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
There is always some optimal middle ground. Except for the ending of course...
You can also get ending where
MC co-rule colony with one villain and second villain is on the run but secretly helps good guys with the money.

Last edited:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
There is basically only one really major potential consequence to a decision that comes near the tail end of the game.
That being if you side with the corporations and you installed the hippie commune leader as the new boss of the first town (regardless of how you did it), you have to basically nuke the town.
Otherwise barring one or two exceptions basically every single 'choice' in the game is between two clearly sub-optimal outcomes and one clearly superior one that requires a little bit of extra leg-work. There isn't a lot to it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know that with high speech stats you can get a better solution which basically is a combination of both?
Interesting. I played through twice, once with a high speech "good" character and I didn't find a good solution
after shutting down the corp town. My more "evil" playthrough shut down the commune and there were some dangling threads I might have pursued to try to get the two towns to reconcile, but I didn't pursue them.

I don't think you know what "reactionary" means, Zombra. Just FYI.
Sorry, you're right, I completely misused that. :oops:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom