Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can you retards take this irrelevant fucking discussion about rtwp vs turn based to another thread?

"How DARE you discuss RTwP and TB in a thread about a game that will actually feature both!??!"

200.webp
You're barely even arguing about the systems in the context of the game. You're just bitching at each other about which system is inherently better. It's all completely meaningless anyway because that's exactly the point: the game is going to have both systems, so why the fuck are you arguing about it? Go misunderstand each other's arguments somewhere else.

Repeating the same joke for 20th time doesn't make it better mate,it makes it old.
Not, if it's still true.
Yeah,because you have a camera on my pc and know what is true and what is not lol. You are really a petty cunt mate,you must be still butthurt for me mocking you about your german larp faggitness.
No one will take insults from someone with 'dumbfuck edgelord' attached to his name seriously.

User0001

Savant
You're barely even arguing about the systems in the context of the game. You're just bitching at each other about which system is inherently better. It's all completely meaningless anyway because that's exactly the point: the game is going to have both systems, so why the fuck are you arguing about it? Go misunderstand each other's arguments somewhere else.

True, I haven't contributed to the discussion in question, I just wanted to illustrate how funny I thought it was by you to try and shut down a highly relevant discussion by arguing that it's not relevant. I found it ironic.

Edit: It's also entertaining and necessary with all the misunderstandings, through all the muddiness there are interesting opinions that slip through.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Can you retards take this irrelevant fucking discussion about rtwp vs turn based to another thread?

"How DARE you discuss RTwP and TB in a thread about a game that will actually feature both!??!"

200.webp
Wrong it will have rtwp and some subpar turn based mode, nothing faithfull to pen and paper , no depth, , all it will do is make the game even easier.

Konflyto

Novice
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
[/QUOTE]Wrong it will have rtwp and some subpar turn based mode, nothing faithfull to pen and paper , no depth, , all it will do is make the game even easier.[/QUOTE]

Think it this way: If the game was turn based, and they said "We're putting some rtwp option for some trash mobs and to make a faster combat experience for rtwp enthusiasts", no one would worry. Maybe (I really don't know, but just maybe) they'll do it right, and put some difficult challenges that even in turn-based mode we'll struggle with the encounter

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I like rtwp more because positioning and the order in which you do things matters more. In turn based sometimes I'll just put my mages far back enough that nothing can reach them in one turn and if something goes after my mage I'll have plenty of time to react when it's my turn but in rtwp if a troll is running at my mage that's a big deal and I have to do something about it immediately. Also when there are multiple things happening in real time with pause it gets intense and you sort of have to do a cost- risk analysis of what's more important to focus on in the moment and what's worth your attention and what can sort itself out. That's also the reason I like RTS games. For these reasons I actually think rwtp is more strategic because there is a lot happening at once and you have to find order in it and decide where to allocate your limited resources. In turn based it kind of just feels like I can set up some safety parameters like keep mage 1 turn movement distance away from the threat and every thing will go fine.

Mortmal

Arcane
Think it this way: If the game was turn based, and they said "We're putting some rtwp option for some trash mobs and to make a faster combat experience for rtwp enthusiasts", no one would worry. Maybe (I really don't know, but just maybe) they'll do it right, and put some difficult challenges that even in turn-based mode we'll struggle with the encounter
Going from turn based to rtwp would work as you said , but the other way means rebalancing , replacing every npcs,scripting a new AI , they clearly said the game would be balanced around rtwp. It's just not possible to do it right without spendign a considerable amount of time, time that could be used to add more content instead ,someone said he wanted monk content, i dont remember who, he was a bit shy about voicing his opinion. They could also spend the time testing the game instead, QA is sorely needed.

Konflyto

Novice
Patron
I like rtwp more because positioning and the order in which you do things matters more. In turn based sometimes I'll just put my mages far back enough that nothing can reach them in one turn and if something goes after my mage I'll have plenty of time to react when it's my turn but in rtwp if a troll is running at my mage that's a big deal and I have to do something about it immediately. Also when there are multiple things happening in real time with pause it gets intense and you sort of have to do a cost- risk analysis of what's more important to focus on in the moment and what's worth your attention and what can sort itself out. That's also the reason I like RTS games. For these reasons I actually think rwtp is more strategic because there is a lot happening at once and you have to find order in it and decide where to allocate your limited resources. In turn based it kind of just feels like I can set up some safety parameters like keep mage 1 turn movement distance away from the threat and every thing will go fine.

This...this is actually a good defence of rtwp. I prefer turn based, but totally see your point,man. But in old games (like arcanum for instance) you disliked turn based as well?

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Wise Owlcat once said: "Wisdom is balance in your ambitions". Hope these words sooth irrational butthurt and lessen any doubts about "madly ambitious Russians". This cat will stretch wings, aware itz not mighty Dragon. Yet

EraE6vN.jpg

User0001

Savant

This exact thing happens in TB as well, but in real-time your front will be able to run alongside the troll that's going after your mage (getting infinite attacks of opportunity) as you start moving your mage at the same time so the threat never becomes real.
In TB that troll will take an attack of opportunity against itself from your front, reach your mage, manage a hit and you will be in a major situation where you hope to god you have a spell or potion that can save your mage from this fuckd up situation, or that someone from your front can take an attack of opportunity to fall back and one hit the threat against the mage.

You have just not played with TB. It's intense, no worries!

Last edited:

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
It is still better argument than the TB fanatics could come up with. I haven't seen an argument for TB outside of personal insults.
Man I never insulted you at all, I just pointed out that the game is based on rules designed around taking turns, then you called those rules "retarded shit" so don't wonder why people quit making an effort to explain things to you :lol:

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
This...this is actually a good defence of rtwp. I prefer turn based, but totally see your point,man. But in old games (like arcanum for instance) you disliked turn based as well?
Well Arcanum isn't the best analogy because RTWP and TB modes were both mediocre in that game, because combat was mediocre overall.
it's still my favorite game ever though

Turn-Based is good for RPGs that require using surroundings and landscape to gain advantage: elevation, covers, displacements, area denials, traps, vision control etc (examples D:OS, Battle Brothers and similar stuff). Turn-Based RPGs (good ones at least) don't throw shitton of enemies at player, forcing him to spend hours killing off uninteresting mobs that offer nothing new and can't afford to do that without giving player something to speed the process up.

Meanwhile RTwP can afford to throw hordes of trash at you, cause it doesn't take much time to annihilate large pack in this system. There is a lot of stuff player can force to happen on-screen simultaneously, so it feels more action packed compared to Turn-Based and allows player to set his own pace. Retarded AI usually limits amount of positioning a Dev can afford to put in, before it starts to become annoying (waiting for 5 seconds before you can go around a shit puddle some mob threw up is not really a fun experience in this system).

They both have advantages and disadvantages, and are not interchangeable. So trying to build a game where both of them will work is stupid. Yet, in this case TB is just a "for fun" feature, in a game clearly stated to mainly be RTwP, so degenerates being annoyed by it is weird.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
TB mod for Kingmaker was tons of fun. All the whiners here just talk out of their arses. People complaining about TB should get a retarded tag by default.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
manage a hit and you will be in a major situation where you hope to god you have a spell or potion that can save your mage from this fuckd up situation, or that someone from your front can take an attack of opportunity to fall back and one hit the threat against the mage.

You have just not played with TB. It's intense, no worries!

I've definitely played turn based games, don't worry about that. Does running directly at an enemy cause attack of opportunity in any turn based game? Usually you have to leave the threatened square. So the enemy they're charging after isn't an issue. So if my Warrior is engaged with a different enemy I'm sure they can take the hit, that's literally what I keep them around for. What actually happens in turn based is my mage is smartly positioned and is a ranged class so the troll never reaches them and then I have 6 characters to react to it before it ever even gets another chance. The troll doesn't get an attack of opportunity on the fighter that followed it because it entered it's threat range but never left it. 6 characters is usually enough to kill it and if not my mage can always retreat. And then you have DOS2 where my mage has a shield and 2 health bars and any enemy's single attack doesn't even register as a threat. I think RTWP is a much more intense than TB. Also there's no such thing as infinite attack of opportunities in any RTWP game I've played.

You have just not played with RTWP. It's intense, no worries!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom