Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games or genres you could never get into

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
For me,

- JRPGs (I just don't get it)
- roguelikes (all of them but especially ASCII ones)
- PES (a bit of an obsession here in Eastern Europe)
- Age of Empires (loved Age of Mythology tho)
- Space games (like Freelancer, Star Citizen, EVE)
- nuXCOM games and their ilk (just looks like nothingness)
- Dark Souls (yeah miss me with that shit)
- Most 4X games (other than Alpha Centauri which I adore)
- modern military shooters (don't exist to me)

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Looter-shooters. Recently got the Division 2 for like 3 USD.

First cutscene:

1. We're under attack (shore camp being bombarded by battleship of some kind)
  2. Oh, a random distress signal from somebody who may or may not be someone we'd actually want to help, and is tens/hundreds of miles away.
  3. Leaves battle to help random person in next state.
  4. Allies continue firing small arms at battleship.
  5. Scratch head in awe.
  6. Delete game.

Who writes this shit?

Terenty

Liturgist
Yeah, jrpgs are the worst. I remember enjoying the Midgar part of FF7 then going in the open world and having to fight every 5 seconds some random monsters. Deleted this shit immediately

Disciple

Savant
Flight simulators. I see why some people would enjoy the challenge and many possibilities of the genre, but to me these games are not particularly fun. I'm afraid I lack the patience required to advance beyond the first 5-10 hours in any given flight simulator.

MMORPGs. Zero appeal whatsoever. Didn't like the fact that Diablo II was so multiplayer-oriented compared to its predecessor, and I never gave a proper chance to any of the genre's flagship titles.

Visual novels. Too little gameplay to spark my interest. From what I've gathered, there are some visual novel-SRPG hybrids that may be worth a look, but I don't see myself ever getting into the "purer" entries in the genre.

Beat 'em ups. I much prefer the gameplay loops of fighting games and action-platformers over the classic beat 'em up experience. They can be fun once in a while, but I'd rather play other kinds of games.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Myst-time games where you just walk around pretty environments and do nothing but read books, messages, push buttons and pull levers. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter was something in that genre I tried to play for the first time recently... tried and failed. And that was one of the better ones I understand. Games like this bore me to tears. I might try The Witness someday though because it seems slightly different but perhaps not enough.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Can't say never because I liked them as a console kid, but I can't get into JRPGs nowadays. Too story focused, too teen angst focused in writing, and combat is usually piss easy outside of rare bosses.

Never liked RTS games, not sure why. Always just felt like the same shit, busy-body base management until you highlight a bunch of shit and storm the enemy. I got more into Command & Conquer because of the more well designed missions, but overall a big meh for me. I have't played one since Red Alert 3 came out.

Racing games I just find boring, I need another gameplay element to make them interesting like GTA or whatever.

Simulators of any kind... flight, farming, whatever... no interest, never played one.

MMOs, online shooters... zero interest, I don't like multiplayer. Only one I ever played for longer than a couple hours was The Old Republic, because of Star Wars and wanting to see the story.

Puukko

Arcane
Sports and racing games outside arcadey ones (SSX, Burnout). Besides those, there are a number of genres I won't say I'll never get into, but which I simply haven't played enough of to really know if I like them. Fighting games, 2D platformers and RTS/GS/4X. I've got a lot of RTS games in my library so those would be the natural choice to try and get into first.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Platformers without save points*, and most RTSes.

I don't like to stress when playing, I rather like to relax when playing.

(*) Amiga traumatized me

Dodo1610

Arcane
The ultimate
participationtrophy.png
thread

Dwarf Fortress and all games like it.
Fighting games
Every Sci-Fi game that focuses on spaceflight, seriously why the fuck do people enjoy looking at the endless void between planets?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Those ridiculously detailed city-builders. I don't even know what's the point of them, maybe you have to be autistic.

Any space game with interstellar travel. Pure and utter borefest.

Sports games. Go outside sometime.

Fighting games. Just no.

MMORPGs - fun to play but holy shit the time sink.

Anything where I have to play hardcore mode, iron man mode and similar idiocy for unemployed people. Get a life.

All of the "games are art" nonsense.

Visual novels

baturinsky

Arcane
Sport Games. Maybe because I did not try them seriously, as I am not interested in RL sports.
Quests. I do not enjoy figuring out author's twisted logic. Though, I have finished some (such as Deponi trilogy), referring to guides when stuck.

Funposter

Arcane
I'd say JRPGs, but I did manage to play through Persona 3 and 5, and I have also played an inordinate amount of Pokemon
Space games are pretty boring
Puzzle games
Looter-shooters ala Destiny, Borderlands etc. are mindless and boring
MOBAs
Diablo and all of its clones

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Cyberpunk games. I play games for escapism, I simply don't like uninteresting garbage aesthetics and an idea that is created by a teenager to look different. Fuck cyberpunks.

I would rather play generic medieval fantasy games with bards and kings.

middle ages were the best ages. not kidding

answering to the topic:

isometric IE games. they bores me to death. even some turn based games are more fun to me than looking at those ugly zoomed out ....things. and combat is usually awful in those games , so

Last edited:
Flights simulators (but I plan to dive into them one day agreei it's just an elite and niche genre)
Realistic racing simulator (I like only gaems like Road Rash, Micro Machines, Mario Kart 64 etc.)
Realistic sport games (I prefer something like Brutal Sport Football or Savage Arena)
SHMUPS
Most of 3D platfomers (Mario 64 is the worst of all mainline titles)
Infinity Engine
MMO's

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
jRPGs. I love me some Jap fighting games and KOEI is one of my all time favorite brands. jRPGs on the other hand... they're like RPGs if RPGs were designed by aliens; ninja aliens riding into battle on rainbow colored dragons who do battle with pubescent ghost warriors. And the leader is always named Ken.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Loot/combat driven RPGs: Diablo, Torchlight, etc.

Hack n' slash: Ninja Gaiden, God of War, Devil May Cry, etc.

I can't think of any more, but these games were a fucking chore to play.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I play RPGs and RPG accessories. Games like XCOM or Jagged Alliance I've never played, but they seem okay as opposed to those giant strategy games from Japanese developers (such as Romance of the Three Kingdoms) that seem to much for me to take in.
If I play sports games, it will be a football game.
If I play racing games, it will be something like Gran Turismo, TOCA, or a proper simulator.
If I play action games, action adventure games, shooters or platformers, the setting better interest me and the game better not waste my time. Stuff like Ninja Gaiden, Zelda or Mario doesn't fly with me. Stuff like Hollow Knight or Legacy of Kain does. The only game I've recently played that was so outside the realm of games I would normally play is Cuphead: the aesthetic and tone was a turn-off at first but I grew to love the gameplay.
I would like to "play" some visual novels.
I don't play fighting games because I have no one to play them with.

Pretty much every other genre can go fuck itself.

Self-Ejected

Daze

Red Panda Alt
Wizardry or Wiz-Clones

Roguelikes

Tactical games without enough RPG systems. JA2 just bores me but KotC is the best thing that ever existed.

Turuko

Learned
most JRPGs
MOBAs
for fighting & sports games i only play them locally with friends
whatever Alan Wake, Uncharted, latest Tomb Raider genres are
visual novels + cyoa games ala telltale etc
90% of the metroidvanias out there
i guess that's it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom